Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
labbed props....worth the money??? >

labbed props....worth the money???

Notices

labbed props....worth the money???

Old 10-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The previous owner had the props labbed on my boat.
They run smooth and the boat is fast, BUT, I got a little to close to the left prop when putting the drain plugs in the boat, while on the trailer and the prop layed my arm open like a razor blade. Left quite a scar too. Also, when they have been labbed they are much easier to damage if you hit something and much harder to repair, sometimes not repairable. I don't think I would spend the money on it unless I was racing.
My 2 cents, worth what you paid for it!
Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

I would take the $800 and buy another set of props. If they work better you can sell the old ones.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou for all the input, the boat is wanting to cavitate while coming on plane and coming off of plane with drives down, if i play with trim and throttle, i can get it to go away, I have shortened the shower pick-ups (per brett) and noticed that my port pick-up in installed on the "wrong" side of the cavitation plate ( on the down stroke) of the prop. I will change this but wont have the boat out till next spring, im gonna winterize it this weekend. I have some small knicks in the props but overall they are in pretty decent shape. I didn't know that lab work involved making the blade thinner?? I boat in the ohio river, so there is alot of drift and debris that you do hit. I deffently don't want to weaken a blade by doing this, Maybe i can find someone that can just fill in the knicks and reshape the leading edge?? I am running mercruiser Bravo1 four (4) blade 24p
Old 10-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am a lake boater & have always run labbed propellers. That being said, they have their place & that place is not on your boat in unfamiliar waters or on a river.
I have 4 sets of propellers & they all suit my needs. 4 sets of Bravo's, (2) labbed & (1) stock along with a labbed set of Maximus wheels.
I've owned probably 10 sets of labbed propellers & they all have lived very good lives, ever being broken by my supercharged horsepower.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

290Enticer,
Have you tried using one of the Prop Calculator programs to gauge the efficiency of your current props. Props can make a huge difference (better or worse) but you need a baseline of your existing setup to know which way to go. Run your numbers on one of the free websites or download one of the free prop calculator apps for Iphone/Droids. Below is one of the freebie sites, you could also try BAM or Merc's websites too.
http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm
http://go-fast.com/Prop_Slip_Calculator.htm

If your estimated slip numbers are single digits and the boat handling is decent you probably wouldn't see huge improvements with labbing or even different props. If there are handling traits you don't like or your slip numbers are really high then spending money on props can be money well spent and enjoyed.

Just my two cents worth, if you make changes please post the outcome we appreciate learning from others.
Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by Powerquest230; 10-19-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 PM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love my props after i got them back from BBlades, boat is better in every way. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
I would take the $800 and buy another set of props. If they work better you can sell the old ones.
That is good advice!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by AO31
That is good advice!
YEP
Old 10-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you might loose some cruse speed after they are labbed. It seems there is always a gain and a loss somewhere else...
Old 10-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPerf360
I love my props after i got them back from BBlades, boat is better in every way. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Yes Bblades do all my props! On my old 25' Motion with twin 280s he gained me 8MPH!!! He does every prop i own. I did chunk one blade one time but hey...that is performance boating!!

Skydog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.