Like Tree0Likes

Best all around boat around 30'

Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 11:36 AM
  #21
Registered
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Bishop,CA
My Boats: '99 29 Outlaw "The Red Headed Twins"
Posts: 382
Default

My 2 cents!

Do you plan to overnight on the boat?

That will change everything.

We have a Baja 29' Outlaw that we do everything on. Small lakes, Big lakes and a lot of Pacific Ocean open water. We go to Catalina Island and stay on the boat, two of us and the small dog. V birth, sink, porta potty and a marine BBQ and were set. Good storage down below and a cockpit big enough that two can move around and hang out without tripping over each other all the time. Nice useable sun pad too, and love the offshore style swim step.

We tow 300mi minimum each way just to get to where we boat. My F350 tows this boat just fine, but I would not want to tow anything much bigger that far.

Bottom line....we love this boat. BTW, it runs 70 on mild reliable power, and never been scared offshore in nasty water. Fog....now that scares me
blefever is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:57 AM
  #22
Ron Potter, BULLET PROOF
Platinum Member
 
Superbabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toms River, N,J
Posts: 5,878
Default

Y2K, is a Great single V, I ran mine for 6 years, the Y2K is one Awesome ride. Also check out on the Frisini 30' Vendetta, Sharp looking Boat.
Superbabi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:59 AM
  #23
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hematite View Post
If you're looking for economical then, rest assured, the boat you buy will be worth exactly what you pay for it or less. There's no free lunch with boats or anything for that matter.

I'm curious how the insurance on a Sunsation with twin small blocks would be economical when any insurance quotes that I've seen are based on whether the boat goes over 46mph or not? I'm sure the Sunsation goes faster than that.

Of the boats that you've mentioned, I've looked at a Formula 292 with twin 6.2 Mercs. I can tell you that when it comes to quality of materials and workmanship that this boat is outstanding and the price reflects it. Again, no free lunch. It's quality or "economical", your decision. Never heard anyone complain about the ride on a Formula, either. This one GPS's in the mid 70's. that's all the information that I can offer.
The insurance changes when the total HP is over/under 750 HP mark. Twin 6.2's is 640 hp, any 496's are 750+. Sunsation is insurable with many carriers like State Farm, Progressive since it's brand is still below the radar. Those same carriers will decline other brands like Fountain, Cigarette, Outerlimits just due to the HP these brands come standard with. Somewhat of a "brand restriction" by common carriers.

Before anyone bombs this response with "my Cig is insured by State Farm", in tough markets like Florida, Texas they are way more selective just like in the homeowners insurance coverage.
Jupiter Sunsation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 PM
  #24
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 9,587
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Shogren View Post
Bar none, the best all round 30' boat for rougher water or bigger lakes is the "Thunder" that were built in Illinois by Bob O. Run almost 80 with 500's and will run thru more water than most 35-37''s.

Team Shogren

www.teamshogren.com

Odd response for a Sunsation dealer when the guy specifically brought up the 32 Sunsation as a consideration. But then I looked at your site and the Sunsation logo is gone, inventory is gone. There are plenty of Sunsations floating around Michigan's lakes, especially since they are made in MI!

Note that this guy is boating in Lousiana.....

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 10-23-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Jupiter Sunsation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:06 PM
  #25
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central IL / Green Bay, WI
My Boats: 32 Sunsation
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation View Post
Odd response for a Sunsation dealer when the guy specifically brought up the 32 Sunsation as a consideration. But then I looked at your site and the Sunsation logo is gone, inventory is gone..
I was wondering the same?
Wasted Income is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:17 PM
  #26
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lk. st. Clair MI
My Boats: 33 POWERPLAY
Posts: 4,498
Default

35 Fountain fits the 30' criteria.


Sunsation is my choice. Formula is my second. If your set on smallies.
POWERPLAY J is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:27 PM
  #27
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LakeSandSota
My Boats: cc's 4 now
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J View Post
35 Fountain fits the 30' criteria.


Sunsation is my choice. Formula is my second. If your set on smallies.
NICE!
golfmaxgolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 PM
  #28
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinglman View Post
For quality of build,finishes and resale you can't beat a sunny or Formula.

Laveycrafts finish and gelcoat work will give anyone including Sunny a run for their money.

Laveys offshore race record in this boat size range is markedly superior to every brand except Jokers.

Although a nice factory boat the finish paint/gel work on the Formula isn't even in the running in this regard.

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:31 PM
  #29
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Keytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Derby, KS
My Boats: 1999 Checkmate 283 Convincor
Posts: 2,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blefever View Post
My 2 cents!

Do you plan to overnight on the boat?

That will change everything.

We have a Baja 29' Outlaw that we do everything on. Small lakes, Big lakes and a lot of Pacific Ocean open water. We go to Catalina Island and stay on the boat, two of us and the small dog. V birth, sink, porta potty and a marine BBQ and were set. Good storage down below and a cockpit big enough that two can move around and hang out without tripping over each other all the time. Nice useable sun pad too, and love the offshore style swim step.

We tow 300mi minimum each way just to get to where we boat. My F350 tows this boat just fine, but I would not want to tow anything much bigger that far.

Bottom line....we love this boat. BTW, it runs 70 on mild reliable power, and never been scared offshore in nasty water. Fog....now that scares me
Throw a Checkmate 283 Convincor on that pile while you're at it for the same reasons. Good bang for the buck.
Keytime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:32 PM
  #30
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Keytime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Derby, KS
My Boats: 1999 Checkmate 283 Convincor
Posts: 2,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Shogren View Post
Bar none, the best all round 30' boat for rougher water or bigger lakes is the "Thunder" that were built in Illinois by Bob O. Run almost 80 with 500's and will run thru more water than most 35-37''s.

Team Shogren

www.teamshogren.com
Pardon my ignorance. Is this an Active Thunder?
Keytime is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.