Old 10-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2 cents!

Do you plan to overnight on the boat?

That will change everything.

We have a Baja 29' Outlaw that we do everything on. Small lakes, Big lakes and a lot of Pacific Ocean open water. We go to Catalina Island and stay on the boat, two of us and the small dog. V birth, sink, porta potty and a marine BBQ and were set. Good storage down below and a cockpit big enough that two can move around and hang out without tripping over each other all the time. Nice useable sun pad too, and love the offshore style swim step.

We tow 300mi minimum each way just to get to where we boat. My F350 tows this boat just fine, but I would not want to tow anything much bigger that far.

Bottom line....we love this boat. BTW, it runs 70 on mild reliable power, and never been scared offshore in nasty water. Fog....now that scares me
Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Y2K, is a Great single V, I ran mine for 6 years, the Y2K is one Awesome ride. Also check out on the Frisini 30' Vendetta, Sharp looking Boat.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Hematite
If you're looking for economical then, rest assured, the boat you buy will be worth exactly what you pay for it or less. There's no free lunch with boats or anything for that matter.

I'm curious how the insurance on a Sunsation with twin small blocks would be economical when any insurance quotes that I've seen are based on whether the boat goes over 46mph or not? I'm sure the Sunsation goes faster than that.

Of the boats that you've mentioned, I've looked at a Formula 292 with twin 6.2 Mercs. I can tell you that when it comes to quality of materials and workmanship that this boat is outstanding and the price reflects it. Again, no free lunch. It's quality or "economical", your decision. Never heard anyone complain about the ride on a Formula, either. This one GPS's in the mid 70's. that's all the information that I can offer.
The insurance changes when the total HP is over/under 750 HP mark. Twin 6.2's is 640 hp, any 496's are 750+. Sunsation is insurable with many carriers like State Farm, Progressive since it's brand is still below the radar. Those same carriers will decline other brands like Fountain, Cigarette, Outerlimits just due to the HP these brands come standard with. Somewhat of a "brand restriction" by common carriers.

Before anyone bombs this response with "my Cig is insured by State Farm", in tough markets like Florida, Texas they are way more selective just like in the homeowners insurance coverage.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 881 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Shogren
Bar none, the best all round 30' boat for rougher water or bigger lakes is the "Thunder" that were built in Illinois by Bob O. Run almost 80 with 500's and will run thru more water than most 35-37''s.

Team Shogren

www.teamshogren.com

Odd response for a Sunsation dealer when the guy specifically brought up the 32 Sunsation as a consideration. But then I looked at your site and the Sunsation logo is gone, inventory is gone. There are plenty of Sunsations floating around Michigan's lakes, especially since they are made in MI!

Note that this guy is boating in Lousiana.....

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 10-23-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Odd response for a Sunsation dealer when the guy specifically brought up the 32 Sunsation as a consideration. But then I looked at your site and the Sunsation logo is gone, inventory is gone..
I was wondering the same?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

35 Fountain fits the 30' criteria.

Sunsation is my choice. Formula is my second. If your set on smallies.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
35 Fountain fits the 30' criteria.

Sunsation is my choice. Formula is my second. If your set on smallies.
NICE!
Old 10-23-2011, 11:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by shinglman
For quality of build,finishes and resale you can't beat a sunny or Formula.

Laveycrafts finish and gelcoat work will give anyone including Sunny a run for their money.

Laveys offshore race record in this boat size range is markedly superior to every brand except Jokers.

Although a nice factory boat the finish paint/gel work on the Formula isn't even in the running in this regard.

Uncle Dave
Old 10-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by blefever
My 2 cents!

Do you plan to overnight on the boat?

That will change everything.

We have a Baja 29' Outlaw that we do everything on. Small lakes, Big lakes and a lot of Pacific Ocean open water. We go to Catalina Island and stay on the boat, two of us and the small dog. V birth, sink, porta potty and a marine BBQ and were set. Good storage down below and a cockpit big enough that two can move around and hang out without tripping over each other all the time. Nice useable sun pad too, and love the offshore style swim step.

We tow 300mi minimum each way just to get to where we boat. My F350 tows this boat just fine, but I would not want to tow anything much bigger that far.

Bottom line....we love this boat. BTW, it runs 70 on mild reliable power, and never been scared offshore in nasty water. Fog....now that scares me
Throw a Checkmate 283 Convincor on that pile while you're at it for the same reasons. Good bang for the buck.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Team Shogren
Bar none, the best all round 30' boat for rougher water or bigger lakes is the "Thunder" that were built in Illinois by Bob O. Run almost 80 with 500's and will run thru more water than most 35-37''s.

Team Shogren

www.teamshogren.com
Pardon my ignorance. Is this an Active Thunder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.