Notices

overnighting on boat

Old 10-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24

But, regardless of all the "disclaimers" from everyone, sleeping out on the water on your boat, in a nice safe spot, doesn't get any better...at least for me!!
X10!!......let me count the ways.....dont have to hurry back before nightfall (I HATE boating at night) you can just relax, have a few pops and watch the sun go down.....go for a swim at midnight in whatever attire you choose......have a better cruise because you can just stay where you want, not have to worry about pressing on to "get to the Marina".....and its cheap
Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 78CIG24
Be careful using some of those products on or near a boat. The last time I used "Deep Woods Off" on one of my new Formulas ..I woke up the next morning and all the "Acrylic/Lexan", near where I had sprayed the stuff, had pit marks in it where that crap literally melted it.

Funny, I called "Off" and raised you know what...they asked me if I had read the warnings on the product...sure as heck, it said not to use around plastics etc as it may cause damage...GRRRRRR.

But, regardless of all the "disclaimers" from everyone, sleeping out on the water on your boat, in a nice safe spot, doesn't get any better...at least for me!!

We don't need no stink'n Hotels....but the covered slips, especially on a rainy weekend, is a good way to go too, second best to sleeping out on the water!

Cheers,

Dave
WTF?? if it melts plastic and acrylic??!! I hate to see what it did or does to skin???? Neeaaahh . it's ok... I got thick skin.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
WTF?? if it melts plastic and acrylic??!! I hate to see what it did or does to skin???? Neeaaahh . it's ok... I got thick skin.
That's the FIRST line of the warning section "Do not apply dirrectly to skin". LOL
I don't stay out that often but when I do I try to seek out other boats that are staying out also, that way there's more lights for others to see.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I don't even have a full cabin but I like to sleep on the water. You will need dual batteries with one out of the loop. Keep the anchor light on all night and anchor in a safe place. I usually run a small fan all night too. Any additional white lighting would be good but not really needed.

And thanks for the heads up on insect repellent. That could explain why my back seat deteriorated. Is there a safe repellent that works? Maybe I should start a new thread on that.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

The State Park area is a good place to overnight. There are a couple of small coves just past Party Cove off to the right that are perfect for throwing a hook for the night.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 AM
Registered

Keep in mind that using your anchor light does little more than prevent you from being ticketed by the popo. It does little to make you more visable. Find a nice safe place. Preferrably in a no-wake zone if you have such things.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Secret Formula
Keep in mind that using your anchor light does little more than prevent you from being ticketed by the popo. It does little to make you more visable. Find a nice safe place. Preferrably in a no-wake zone if you have such things.
I'd switch out your anchor bulbs to LED. Much brighter and draws less power
Old 10-28-2011, 08:16 PM
Registered

The anchor light will often blend in with the background shore lighting until its too late. Staying overnight on the water is great but I only do it in a place where no one can go through on plane and ram my boat, there are a lot of idiots out there
Old 10-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered

We have never spent the night on the water. Don't you worry about the anchor breaking loose and waking up on the rocks?
Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpally
We have never spent the night on the water. Don't you worry about the anchor breaking loose and waking up on the rocks?
Until you are more confident in your anchor setting skills you can make sure your depth finder alarm is set properly for your anchoring location. It should wake you up if you get into shallower(deeper too) water before you hit the rocks.

This will give you a little more piece of mind, after all the beauty of sleeping out on the water is supposed to be about relaxation and fun, not about being stressed while doing so.

Even after you are confident with anchoring, it is still a good idea to set your depth finder alarm for any abnormal swings in depth....personally I would rather be woke up by hitting rocks then to have drifted out to sea and into Iranian Waters in the middle of the night. :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.