Notices

Hot Boat Chickens Out!

Old 06-13-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hot Boat Chickens Out!

Remeber a few months ago Hot Boat Mag said that it tested two boats that were dangerous? They said they would name them in a future issue by giving them a scathing review. They even said one was so dangerous that they decided not to test the top speed. Certainly this is something that every performance boat buyer should know. If the boat was as dangerous as they said it would be irresponsible of them not to tell us.

Well they seem to feel differently. In this months Observers Seat article they said the boat in question's bottom was changed by the manufacturer greatly improving the ride and drivability. They still wont name the manufacturer. This is probably all we will ever hear about this. Very irresponsible if you ask me. Who cares if they fixed the boat after a major bad publicity fiasco was barely averted. I wonder if they fixed all the bottoms of the boat in question. The problem is we the boat buying public should know which manufacturer lets a dangerous hull bottom be sold to the public.

Their only advice is to test a boat before buying it. Good advice but nothing new. What about the inexperienced performance boater that test the boat and thinks all fast boats feel out of controll at top speed?

Its a good thing they have great photography and babes in the mag because their credibility is shot. They never have a negitive review. Are we supposed to believe that every boat they test is as great as they say? Many of their top speed results seem to be on the high side.

Bottom line is that the boat tests are a bunch of BS. Want to feel good about your boat? See if Hot Boat tested it and read the review.

In Hot Boats defense I did enjoy the article on boat toolers.

Ron
Old 06-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For once i would to see one of the mags say"this boat is a load". I think that will never happen as they are in the business of sunshine stuffing not telling the truth!
Old 06-13-2002, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chicken out?...More likely they got paid off.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:46 AM
Registered

I forgot about that, but I would love to know who it was.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:47 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Yeah, it would be nice to know, but at least they kept an unsafe design off the market.

I'll have to stick up for Hot Boat this time. They gave the manufacturer a chance to get it right, and it sounds like the builder lived up to their end, so then did the editor. OK in my book.

Now if the builder didn't fix it, and Hot Boat still didn't tell us, that would be a whole different story.

Last edited by Shorty; 06-13-2002 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:51 AM
Registered

SOMEONE has to know what they were...anyone??
Old 06-13-2002, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if these unknown "would-be" unsafe boats are brand new models? If not how many people are in posession of these unsafe hulls?....
Old 06-13-2002, 12:05 PM
TulsaLarry

rjcardinal

If you think you may know the manufacturer or the problem you can do a recall search on the below Coast Guard site:

http://www.uscgboating.org/mf/mf_srchRecall.ASP

Old 06-13-2002, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Thumbs down to HOT BOAT MAGAZINE !

I geuss the editor probably got a FREE new boat for shutting up !
Old 06-13-2002, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the performance boating magazines in particular do their subscribers a great disservice by not being entirely truthful in their "evaluations"

I my opinion, they are more worried about losing advertiser dollars than subscriber dollars, because as we all know, the advertisers pay a hell of alot more that we do!

The integrity displayed by car magazines like Road and Track and Car and Driver should be emulated by the magazines in our sport. They tell it like it is and don't care if a manufacturer's feelings are hurt OR if they decide to pull their ads. Recently, I think it was Road and Track TV...they did a review of the new BMW 7 series and tore the new body style and driver controls to shreads...I'd like to see HB or PBM do the same...but I won't hold my breath.

Quick Reply: Hot Boat Chickens Out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.