Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Question for anyone who went to court with an engine builder >

Question for anyone who went to court with an engine builder

Notices

Question for anyone who went to court with an engine builder

Old 10-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a louieville bat is cheaper than a lawyer,and say he must have trip and landed face first
Old 10-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
I would just have some "friends" visit the engine builders shop
What if he has some bigger ''FRIENDS''? LOL. Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish, been there, done that, just move on to someone else and go boating.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Registered

I have gone through something similar, not motor, but boating related event, in AZ and you would be suprised what the courts will do. I sued for: Initial funds paid to person, cost of funds for repair of what they screwed up, boat payments, storage fees, my time, and got punitive damages. So, it sounds to me like you MAY get what you are looking to get. In my situation, it was clearly fraud so that really pissed the judge off. I was able to document my claims for $ and he awarded every penny I was asking for. He also awarded punitive damages so that went above and beyond. The judgment came in for fraud as well which is non dischargable in BK. Basically, right now I own this guy. Not going to get anything, but am able to make his life miserable.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

just move on to someone else and go boating.[/QUOTE]

That's right.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PARADOX
Sorry about your troubles HiPerf, but you might be SOL, just as I am with a tire issue.
The burden of proof is on the plaintiff. All your motor guy has to say that there wasn't or might not been enough oil. You have to prove that there was. Saying and swearing up and down is not proof, even if you are 100% right. The only way you may "prove" it is having a vid taking while you filled it up with the right oil the right amount etc. with the vid done by an independent, notarized. etc. etc. As soon as you tinkered with the motor, he is off the hook. Try to work out something, because you have an uphill battle, plus he fixed it I guess. It sux. I'm out about 400K when a new tire blow 4 years ago. Flipped trailer, boat off on the highway, truck flipped, I had shoulder injury and surgery.
No lawyer or firm wants to take the case, since it is "easily defendable". I have a witness, all the docs, Carlisle tires have recalls, DOT issues, chit tires for sure, but all Carlisle have to say is could have been a nail in the tire. Tire is all over the highway disintegrated. I have a tough time "proving" defect, (While it is obvious) so I'm SOL for 400K. I have a week left to file, no lawyer.
We have blown out alot of tires over the years, and pull over and change it. Not flip truck and trailer, plus you bought cheap tires. Ever think it might be your fault? Goes the same with the motor, the owner choose to install it. Not his fault either? Sounds like both of yall go the cheap route then want to sue somebody else when its your fault.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered

heres another question that would be slander related....

He doesnt have a website. I can buy the domain name for his business for $7 per year. If i build a website and list the details of how he screwed me as the content, and also have a section where others can comment on my situation, or share how they have also been screwed by the same builder, could he go after me or that ?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of us have been burned by engine builders re-builders etc.

It sux.

You could buy the domain name and do all that - remember anyone can sue anyone for anything.

The guys telling you to move on have it right.
You partially completed the job hence you share accountability.

There are three sides to every story.

Dont spend good money after bad, just tell your story and be prepared for him to tell his.

Sorry dude.

Uncle Dave
Old 10-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
heres another question that would be slander related....

He doesnt have a website. I can buy the domain name for his business for $7 per year. If i build a website and list the details of how he screwed me as the content, and also have a section where others can comment on my situation, or share how they have also been screwed by the same builder, could he go after me or that ?
Lots of people do this, we hada friend whose home builder really screwed them over and they company (now out of business) Fountain Homes, was not at all impressed with fountainhomessuck.com (which apparently isn't online anymore), it turned out to be a big headache. Do you really want to go down that path? Do small claims court and give it a go, if not, just let it go. It's not worth it.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:09 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,782 Likes on 884 Posts

Like others said, I see this as a waste of time, energy and $$$.

Unless you had other multiple engine builders examine the damaged engine, then there is no way prove it is his fault.

The easiest way to cost him some $$$ is to post his info in the Beware and Stolen section.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 246 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by brivander
Lots of people do this, we hada friend whose home builder really screwed them over and they company (now out of business) Fountain Homes, was not at all impressed with fountainhomessuck.com (which apparently isn't online anymore), it turned out to be a big headache. Do you really want to go down that path? Do small claims court and give it a go, if not, just let it go. It's not worth it.
http://fjd.phila.gov/municipal/civil/

$10K award limit, small filing fee ($65.50). I do not practice law in PA, but this would be the less expensive way to go, if the case can be proven.

This link explains the Pennsylvania Small Claims Court procedure, costs, and award limit. Very informative link.

http://courts.phila.gov/pdf/brochure...aims-court.pdf

Call me with questions.

I am not licensed to practice law in Pennsylvania, only New Jersey (handling Criminal, Traffic, DUI, Municipal Court, DYFS, Child Custody/Support cases).

I do know many PA lawyers, but not sure if any would take this case. Call me questions.

Stephen

Last edited by Smarty; 10-31-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.