RL
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Condolences to family and friends. RIP
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Default Sad day again in Key West!

Condolences to Joey's family and friends, from old race Buddy of the past! You were always the best on the race course and off!! God Bless all on Sunday, if you choose to compete....

Steve get well fast!

rick felsen
Old 11-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unreal. Terrible week at KW. Joey was one of the best, one of the most super nice fellas around. Very sad. RIP Joey. My deepest condolences.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am sickened by the tradgedies this week, my condolences go out to the families and friends, I knew them all and competed with them for many years. Racing since 1965 to 1994 unfortunatly I have witnessed to many deaths, and had two near deaths myself in the ( SPORT ) of offshore racing. We need a concerted effort to put a stop to these tradgedies. When Lavin lost his life, his family formed the Lavin foundation to improve safety, and it worked, we developed the canopy systems, oxygen systems etc. Where and what happened to the foundation. When I had my accident with Tom Gentry ( RIP ) I advocated for full time air systems to be mandatory, but went on deaf ears, it`s to much, it`s clostraphobic etc. etc. same things were said when we went to canopies. PlEASE all racers and supporters must unite to establish safe racing, and do everything concievable to prevent further tradgedies. Three people loosing their lives in three days for the ( SPORT ) of offshore racing is NOT acceptable.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
I am sickened by the tradgedies this week, my condolences go out to the families and friends, I knew them all and competed with them for many years. Racing since 1965 to 1994 unfortunatly I have witnessed to many deaths, and had two near deaths myself in the ( SPORT ) of offshore racing. We need a concerted effort to put a stop to these tradgedies. When Lavin lost his life, his family formed the Lavin foundation to improve safety, and it worked, we developed the canopy systems, oxygen systems etc. Where and what happened to the foundation. When I had my accident with Tom Gentry ( RIP ) I advocated for full time air systems to be mandatory, but went on deaf ears, it`s to much, it`s clostraphobic etc. etc. same things were said when we went to canopies. PlEASE all racers and supporters must unite to establish safe racing, and do everything concievable to prevent further tradgedies. Three people loosing their lives in three days for the ( SPORT ) of offshore racing is NOT
acceptable.
Couldn't agree more!!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Over the past few days we've lost three really fine people in Offshore racing accidents in Key West. While we mourn their loss, I can't help but believe these tragedies might have been preventable. Racing always involves a risk, yet over the years, groups like UIM and APBA with the insight of Bob Wartinger, Ron Jones Sr, Jeff Neff, George Linder, Dave Vilwock, Mike Hanson, Scott Raney, Rich Luhrs... and others, we've developed safety standards in at least the Unlimited Hydroplane category that have been tested thru well over 100 accidents over 150 MPH. My crash in July was a direct T bone at over 100 MPH and both Dave Vilwock and I walked away. J.W Meyers hit the wall at Detroit at over 100 MPH and receievd a broken foot, and is back racing with us. These designs work. They are snug, with a top hatch and a bottom hatch. there is little room for extremity acceleration in a crash, we have HANS devices to protect our necks, full time air, multiple point harnesses, etc. The canopies used in Offshore racing face different loads and in my opinion, after 40 years of racing, aren't sufficient to meet the current speeds. They are too large, too much flat surface, and not enough structural support. We can do better, there are people in place that can make it better. As we mourn Bob, Jeff and Joey, let their deaths put a new emphasis on consolidating the safety expertise that is available and doing everything humanly possible to prevent future tragedies. Saying "it's just racing" or they "died doing what they loved" just doesn't cut it. I was with Joey Gratton and his kids in San Diego just 7 weeks ago, they didn't come any more professional, any more loving, any more of being the best at what he did. God, please take care of Joey and hold his family in your palm.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered

I would agree. I expect structure changes moving forward from race boat manufactures from big thunders incident as well as most recent victims. We can do better for protection
Old 11-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDavid
Over the past few days we've lost three really fine people in Offshore racing accidents in Key West. While we mourn their loss, I can't help but believe these tragedies might have been preventable. Racing always involves a risk, yet over the years, groups like UIM and APBA with the insight of Bob Wartinger, Ron Jones Sr, Jeff Neff, George Linder, Dave Vilwock, Mike Hanson, Scott Raney, Rich Luhrs... and others, we've developed safety standards in at least the Unlimited Hydroplane category that have been tested thru well over 100 accidents over 150 MPH. My crash in July was a direct T bone at over 100 MPH and both Dave Vilwock and I walked away. J.W Meyers hit the wall at Detroit at over 100 MPH and receievd a broken foot, and is back racing with us. These designs work. They are snug, with a top hatch and a bottom hatch. there is little room for extremity acceleration in a crash, we have HANS devices to protect our necks, full time air, multiple point harnesses, etc. The canopies used in Offshore racing face different loads and in my opinion, after 40 years of racing, aren't sufficient to meet the current speeds. They are too large, too much flat surface, and not enough structural support. We can do better, there are people in place that can make it better. As we mourn Bob, Jeff and Joey, let their deaths put a new emphasis on consolidating the safety expertise that is available and doing everything humanly possible to prevent future tragedies. Saying "it's just racing" or they "died doing what they loved" just doesn't cut it. I was with Joey Gratton and his kids in San Diego just 7 weeks ago, they didn't come any more professional, any more loving, any more of being the best at what he did. God, please take care of Joey and hold his family in your palm.
Deepest condolences to the family and friends of Joey.

Please, someone who is in a position of power within the racing sanctioning bodies, listen to the above advice from Steve and stop the unneeded loss of great racers in our sport.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Registered

From the OSS Board Chairman...

It is with a heavy heart that I come to you today about the news that we have lost another friend and family member. Joey Gratton. Steve is still in the hospital recovering from injuries.

Our condolences and sympathy goes out to Pricilla ,Blake & Brock and to the whole Page Racing Team. We wish Steve a speedy recovery and a healing heart to all of us that lost a loved family member.

Mike Mares
OSS
Old 11-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Steve David nailed it. Going back to UIM and APBA days when we had specific rules to live by. As a matter of fact when I was advocating for new safety rules after the Gentry accident, I pointed out the success that the unlimited`s had and the various features they incorporated, again on deaf ears. The ( SPORT) needs reorganization and realignment with some responsible governing bodies that are affiliated with the unlimited racing organizations, and the European racing orgs as well. This requires money devotion and an iron fist to establish and implement the rules. In perspective what is the cost of a life. Now is the time, the technology is in place, and can be readily adapted to the ( SPORT ) of offshore racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.