Like Tree0Likes

offshore safety (life vests and kill switches)

Reply
Old 11-12-2011, 12:59 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 856
Default offshore safety (life vests and kill switches)

All of this stuff at key west puts a lot in check for me...again safety first! Looking for first hand knowledge on racing life jackets. I know Tiger carries a lot. Best place to look? Brand, style (switlik, lifeline)? Any help? Also what brand, type kill switches are used in the race boats. Thanks.
no limits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:07 PM
  #2
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 251
Default

Lifeline jackets are top notch. The newer ones are less bulky than the older style. If you are at a race, ask one on the teams if you can try one on or check it out. All jackets must be race approved and recertified every few years. Lifeline.com maybe a shot. I would be more than glad to let someone try mine if the came and asked me.
smcser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:07 PM
  #3
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Turku, Finland
My Boats: Something small blown and light
Posts: 1,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDavid View Post
Over the past few days we've lost three really fine people in Offshore racing accidents in Key West. While we mourn their loss, I can't help but believe these tragedies might have been preventable. Racing always involves a risk, yet over the years, groups like UIM and APBA with the insight of Bob Wartinger, Ron Jones Sr, Jeff Neff, George Linder, Dave Vilwock, Mike Hanson, Scott Raney, Rich Luhrs... and others, we've developed safety standards in at least the Unlimited Hydroplane category that have been tested thru well over 100 accidents over 150 MPH. My crash in July was a direct T bone at over 100 MPH and both Dave Vilwock and I walked away. J.W Meyers hit the wall at Detroit at over 100 MPH and receievd a broken foot, and is back racing with us. These designs work. They are snug, with a top hatch and a bottom hatch. there is little room for extremity acceleration in a crash, we have HANS devices to protect our necks, full time air, multiple point harnesses, etc. The canopies used in Offshore racing face different loads and in my opinion, after 40 years of racing, aren't sufficient to meet the current speeds. They are too large, too much flat surface, and not enough structural support. We can do better, there are people in place that can make it better. As we mourn Bob, Jeff and Joey, let their deaths put a new emphasis on consolidating the safety expertise that is available and doing everything humanly possible to prevent future tragedies. Saying "it's just racing" or they "died doing what they loved" just doesn't cut it. I was with Joey Gratton and his kids in San Diego just 7 weeks ago, they didn't come any more professional, any more loving, any more of being the best at what he did. God, please take care of Joey and hold his family in your palm.
Back in 2009 I was personally stumped at the fact that The Victory Team didn't use full air masks, full face helmets with Hans- aid but only equipment familiar in the lower UIM 3C outboard class. I've contemplated on the idea personally to Hans and full air become mandatory even in the UIM 3B/C classes especially after we lost a dear friend and fellow racer, Ian Stirling, the summer of 2010 at the 3C Europeans running an open boat despite him wanting to get into a canopied boat. During the winter 2010 we talked a lot about the safety issues with him as we both felt the risks was getting questionable for even the organizers of our beloved sport.
Our Canopies since 2010 are mandatory and snug in UIM 3C, somewhat like the Unlimited Hydros and their record speaks for themselves so it definitely is a worthwhile place to take advice from, for the future of the sport.

Take notice that I'm not stating these precautions would've saved anyone in KW as I do not know the details but I do not see these measures as anything but positive actions to make our sport safer. Anyone can use them even today without being forced to do so.
MikeyFIN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:24 PM
  #4
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 856
Default

I have an old single engine 3 man A class style boat. Primarly used for fun. However, boat doesn't have kill switch and also looking for a good jacket.
no limits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:26 PM
  #5
Rob
VIP Member
Trade Score: (6)
 
Strip Poker 388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Madison,Mississippi
My Boats: Hustler 388
Posts: 21,567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyFIN View Post
Back in 2009 I was personally stumped at the fact that The Victory Team didn't use full air masks, full face helmets with Hans- aid but only equipment familiar in the lower UIM 3C outboard class. I've contemplated on the idea personally to Hans and full air become mandatory even in the UIM 3B/C classes especially after we lost a dear friend and fellow racer, Ian Stirling, the summer of 2010 at the 3C Europeans running an open boat despite him wanting to get into a canopied boat. During the winter 2010 we talked a lot about the safety issues with him as we both felt the risks was getting questionable for even the organizers of our beloved sport.
Our Canopies since 2010 are mandatory and snug in UIM 3C, somewhat like the Unlimited Hydros and their record speaks for themselves so it definitely is a worthwhile place to take advice from, for the future of the sport.

Take notice that I'm not stating these precautions would've saved anyone in KW as I do not know the details but I do not see these measures as anything but positive actions to make our sport safer. Anyone can use them even today without being forced to do so.
If the canopy or cockpit area fails in a crash and the gush of water comes into the cockpit want it blow off the "full time air mask" off you?

Like everybody is saying I think there is room for improvements and its needed.
__________________
.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Strip Poker 388 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:33 PM
  #6
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
PARADOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Florida
My Boats: Formula 272 Sold, 26 Infinity, 4 sale, 08-33' Avanti 4SALE
Posts: 2,697
Default

Personnaly, I don't like the "auotomatic" jackets, like lifeline and alike. Yeaah.. they are cooler looking, lighter. etc. but when I'm running and hitting some serious wakes, rough seas and something might happen; ejection, role, or watever, I want ALL THE protection on my chest as possible.
I prefer the full jacket type. I had some pretty nasty spils on water while doing some fast slalom skiing and the full vests always helped. Just MHO.
PARADOX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:43 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by no limits View Post
I have an old single engine 3 man A class style boat. Primarly used for fun. However, boat doesn't have kill switch and also looking for a good jacket.
Any style kill switch will work if installed right. As for the jacket, lots of options. Search Lifeline jackets, the auto inflate are only good if you are in a dry boat. They look good but one good splash and poof they inflate. The manuel inflate are good if you are able to activate it. I wonder if you tied the ripcore to the boat some how if that would work? Any comments?
Then you have to think about your head. Do I use a helmet or not? How safe do you want to be.................
smcser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:28 PM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Englewood, OH
My Boats: 96 Superboat 24/BBC
Posts: 634
Default

As far as the automatic vests go, the hydrostatic Mustangs only inflate if submerged more than 4 inches in water- eliminating the chances of inflation due to getting splashed. Comfortable added protection and we wear them religiously while underway.

Back to the original poster question, I think he's looking for a top of the line high speed vest, not the auto inflates.
ndaniels is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:18 PM
  #9
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndaniels View Post
As far as the automatic vests go, the hydrostatic Mustangs only inflate if submerged more than 4 inches in water- eliminating the chances of inflation due to getting splashed. Comfortable added protection and we wear them religiously while underway.

Back to the original poster question, I think he's looking for a top of the line high speed vest, not the auto inflates.
Yes...and what are the switlik vests? Type, good, bad? Kill switch brands (look at Cp performance, teague)?
no limits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:11 PM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
My Boats: 13' Biel Tunnel Hull / 23' Fountain CC
Posts: 120
Default

I almost always have a jacket on in my little tunnel. If a Lifeline isnt in the budget, Mustang Survival makes a nice 100mp rated CG certified vest. I have two. They are comfortable and have neck support to keep your head above water. It does not have leg straps though.
http://www.bluewaterperformancegear....00-_p_247.html
Mr. Demeanor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.