Notices

Commentary: The Price of What

Old 11-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,761 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsPeanut
Great article Matt. Well said.
I agree, but just to give credit where it's due, I didn't say it. Rich Luhrs did.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:05 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
Short of foaming the guys in up to their eyes, offshore racing is about as safe as amateur cropdusting. If you would appreciate that the frickin' poker run has boats that will outrun ALL of the raceboats, save one, you can appreciate the potential for fatalities. Years ago, I was in Ron Jones' unlimited shop, when he was at the top of his game. As we sat in the waiting room, I looked around the room and saw pictures of all my heroes, Muncey, Manchester, Wilson and so on. They had one thing in common: THEY WERE ALL KILLED IN AN UNLIMITED HYDROPLANE! The unlimited guys have taken the tiger by the tail, and fixed their problem. We are blessed to have one of their best in our midst, Steve David. Start a safety committee with Steve and Rich Luhrs, Bill Seebold, Chris Hodges, etc., and get something going. It ain't gonna fix itself.........
word...
Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Safety isn't based in rules, it's not based in technology, and it's not based on money. Safety is an ATTITUDE, one which, admit it or not, is generally lacking in offshore racing. There are a few people who get it (see posts above), but the attitude is not nearly widespread enough.

The existence of a single sanctioning body gives that body the sufficient overhead reserves to administer a proper safety program by having large enough fields to generate events that draw the sponsorship and funding to drive progress.

It's really not that complicated, but given the current state of affairs, I'm afraid that it's not very probable right now...
Old 11-15-2011, 11:33 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
Grant it there are small entities organizing races here and there as well as some series but if the organizers make the requirements for racing more and more expensive they will see the numbers of racers dwindle down to nothing..
And if nothing is done to improve the safety for the racers, we will see the numbers of racers dwindle down to nothing...... forever.

Canopy improvements have increased over the years, unfortunately the speed increased faster than the improvements. Until something can be done for the speeds of today, I say slow the boats down to what is an acceptable speed for today's canopy design...

Isn't that what NASCAR did with the restricter plates to slow the cars down ?

Just my thoughts.

As usual, great write up Rich !

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C_Spray
Safety isn't based in rules, it's not based in technology, and it's not based on money. Safety is an ATTITUDE, one which, admit it or not, is generally lacking in offshore racing. There are a few people who get it (see posts above), but the attitude is not nearly widespread enough.

The existence of a single sanctioning body gives that body the sufficient overhead reserves to administer a proper safety program by having large enough fields to generate events that draw the sponsorship and funding to drive progress.

It's really not that complicated, but given the current state of affairs, I'm afraid that it's not very probable right now...
Perfectly stated! Pop and I were lamenting the other night how far ahead we would be on safety if the LLC had succeeded. Tragic.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES
And if nothing is done to improve the safety for the racers, we will see the numbers of racers dwindle down to nothing...... forever.

Canopy improvements have increased over the years, unfortunately the speed increased faster than the improvements. Until something can be done for the speeds of today, I say slow the boats down to what is an acceptable speed for today's canopy design...

Just my thoughts.

Restrictors came into ASA already 1984 , way before Nascar because Camaros and Firebirds would've outrun the Winston Cuppers.

It's not about speed it's about the sudden stop. Take the courses out so the speeds must slow down because of the conditions and it gets no better BUT every team has to think theirselves also as much about safety as performance if the courses go out.

We're losing racers at a faster rate than 1986-1990 at the moment....

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 11-15-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES

Just my thoughts.

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Restrictors came into ASA already 1984 , way before Nascar because Camaros and Firebirds would've outrun the Winston Cuppers.

It's not about speed it's about the sudden stop. Take the courses out so the speeds must slow down because of the conditions and it gets no better BUT every team has to think theirselves also as much about safety as performance if the courses go out.

We're losing racers at a faster rate than 1986-1990 at the moment....
NASCAR brought in the safer wall which absorbs some of the impact.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
NASCAR brought in the safer wall which absorbs some of the impact.
OT.
Maybe to the ovals but Hay bales and water inside tirebarriers has been used many moons ago in autoracing...