Looking for info on Lake St. Clair, MI >

Looking for info on Lake St. Clair, MI

Notices

Looking for info on Lake St. Clair, MI

Old 06-18-2002, 09:22 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lease a boat for the race and join the action!

We will be there for the first time also! Looks like a great set-up!
Reduced rates for local races!
Prize money!
54" trophies!
great course!

Chris Reindl
513.706-3199
Old 06-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Registered

So, what are the dates and times of all these exciting events? It
looks like I will be up there Sun-Weds. But, unfortunately, I won't
be bringing the Formula ! Anyone need a co-pilot ??

Steve
Old 06-18-2002, 10:10 AM
Registered

Sorry for the delay, I was out at the wings parade yesterday, What a blast!!

The races are sunday, but there is testing saturday from 11:00am-3:00pm, and the races start sunday at 12 noon. I am not sure if the metro launch is open or not, I'd say probably not, but it will be filled with race trailers, ext... plus all the normal traffic if it is open. There is the south river road DNR launch, and there is the new DNR launch just south of crocker and jefferson, it's the old admiral marina I belive, but I havent been there yet, and there is also the selfridge DNR launch at the end of hall road. It has bouys going out and all of these are good ramps to use. I usually use metro, cuz south river rd and selfridge are always very busy. So I'm not sure which one I'll use. Best bet is to get to the launch before 10:30-11:00 cuz they all get busy after 11:00.

I'm going to find out times, and if the metro launch is open, I'll be editing this message so check back in a few.

Here's a link to the lake st clair race:
http://www.silvercupseries.com/lake_...clair_home.htm

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 06-18-2002 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:45 AM
Registered

I stopped by the new DNR launch on Sunday and asked about depth. The woman there said that it's around 2.5 - 3 feet deep and she wouldn't suggest a 27' even try it. The only boats there were small aluminum fishing boats.

We watched the races at the northeast corner of the course and it was a little rough with the boat traffic on the lake. It might be better between the course and shore, but I haven't checked where the spectator areas are this year.

Should be a great weekend. I did see one race boat (a baja, maybe 25' or 27') heading up I-75 on monday on my way to Cinci.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:48 AM
turbo2256

I believew the race course is between land and boat spectator area

Old 06-18-2002, 11:01 AM
Registered

here's a course map, anything you want to know is on the site I posted above in my last post.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for info on Lake St. Clair, MI-course_map2002.jpg  
Old 06-18-2002, 11:23 AM
32Dominator01

I agree with not launching @ Crocker and Jefferson the water is deep enough at the launch but when you are leaving is when you will hit the shallow spot. Good luck your best bet is to launch off south river road. It's a busy ramp but it goes by pretty fast.

Old 06-18-2002, 11:51 AM
290PQ

Thanks for the info.
Rob will you be there? Maybe we'll see you .
Also is there something going on at Gull Is. on Sun.
We are only going to be there on Sun it sounds like we should be there Fri.!!!
Anything else I should know about the lake I've heard it's very shallow?
Thanks, Rob

Old 06-18-2002, 01:54 PM
Registered

Gull island is always a party, but It may be messy after friday if there aren't alot of voluntary clean up crews out there. There usually are alot of kids collecting cans for the deposit money which helps out alot. 5000 people drink alot of beer. There's a few shallow spots, one is the entire south side of gull island so if you go to gull island stay out south of it about 1/2-3/4 a mile out, and come in down the channel, it's easy to see cuz it's deep blue and not brown like the shallow spots plus it's marked. A straight line from metro or the south riv rd DNR launch is fine, but I always go out in the open lake more than I think I should just to be safe. The other shallow area is the sandbar at the end of the midddle channel, but there is usually a bunch of boats parked there and people standing on it so it's easy to spot. Other than that, dont go into garwoods from the front, go thru mac & rae's and take a left at the end where the canal comes to a T and it goes right into the back of garwoods. There really aren't too many shallow areas. They say it's a shallow lake, well yeah most of it is 8-10 feet deep, but there are only a few area to look out for, and they are all near land. If you stay out a ways from shore, come straight into launches and canals, and not cut them short you'll have nothing to worry about. The north channel and middle channel are tricky and curvy, so just avoid them of follow someone thru, the north always messes me up and I always follow people. Looks like I need a gps track to follow. But it has the deep blue water to follow as well. If there are any additional area's to watch for. Post up st clair people, we've got a few newbies to st clair and lets make it a great trip for them. I'll be at the races both days. Not sure of what role I'm taking on yet for the patrol boats. I did get 6-7 additional boats to help out from oso and lakestclair.net

Last edited by Advantage_Rob; 06-18-2002 at 02:00 PM.