Notices

Avanti 41 History?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Tuck it in!! lol
I call it the "photo op. trim". I got back to normal after the hello left. But Pete Boden didn't think it was all that funny. He was hanging on to his camera (rear left seat) with his dear life.

Last edited by PARADOX; 11-29-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small world

what a small world..... I need to post some attachments... how many posts before they allow attachments?

Last edited by gerard143; 11-29-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by gerard143
what a small world..... I need to post some attachments... how many posts before they allow attachments?
you have to be a paying member i think
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Registered

that boat sat for a decade. the cuddy interior was all redone. The guy who owned the boat was loaded. He owned a matco paint shop in nj. He let the boat sit for like 10 years because basically he was that rich and didnt give a F from what I was told. When they peeled the shrink wrap off (was on there so long) it took a lot of the paint with it. Engine compartment is spotless isn't it. those merlins ran great. I have some interesting photos for you.

Will only owned the boat part of this last summer. He had big plans for it but he never sticks with anything to long. I busted my ass on that boat stripping it down to fiberglass and repainting it. I wanted to do a sick paint job but he didnt want to spend all that money and have the boat tied up for weeks. Wound up spraying it outside hence some of the bugs in the paint. I was afraid of that once the clear coat was laid on. sure enough 100 bugs flew into it. he just wanted to run the boat and didnt want to spend the time for me to wet sand and buff it after the clear to make it look beautiful without the orange peel look. also I wanted to block sand it and get rid of the orbital sander marks before the paint was laid. basically i wanted to do a factory quality paint job but he just wanted it painted all white and done in like 3 days lol. I've got like 40 hours invested in that paintjob. but i guess from 15 feet away it looks fine anyways and thats all he cared about. when I was sanding it down from the matco paint job I noticed the same emblem at one point was on the boat that the 39' one on yachtworld has but it was on the boat roughly in the middle instead of the rear like that 39'

Last edited by gerard143; 11-29-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Registered

and yes that was him up in bville. our crew heads up that way a lot for the concerts thursday nights on the island

will came across the boat in new jersey and was eyeing it for like a month. he has an insulation business and they did some work out there and was looking around at boats and saw that and had to have it.

here is a link to some photos of the paint job and what it looked like before the paintjob. http://elhomeintegration.com/wills_paint_job.html Click any of the images for a larger hi-res version. they aren't all in chronological order but you get the idea. theres some rough edits I did in paint of some ideas he had and colors for a sick paint job. purple and orange he was considering. I was all for it but he ultimately just decided to do plain white. he was going to get a vinyl wrap made too for it but never did.

also notice the picture of the DEC leaving my house. lol they can over and yelled at me for spraying in it the yard. haha.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000.../United-States man this boat looks wicked similiar to it and its a 2000. I wonder if technically your boat is actually an avanti 39 and not really a 41?

here is a video... idk if it will work because its on my facebook page and you might have to be on my friends list but here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/video/video...50279932925260 that is us running around 58mph on oneida in some nasty chop. was such a smooth ride. it was a horrible day out there i swear there were 6 foot rollers from dip to peak.

it was painted with ppg omni bc/cc line of paint. the white is ppg omni mbp acrylic urethane oem color code is 040,40 toyota super white in case you ever need touch up paint.

Last edited by gerard143; 11-29-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Just curious what a boat like this cost? If you don't mind telling, if you would rather not thats fine I was just curious.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

i dont know the exact figure will paid.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Registered

that boat sat for a decade. the cuddy interior was all redone. The guy who owned the boat was loaded. He owned a matco paint shop in nj. He let the boat sit for like 10 years because basically he was that rich and didnt give a F from what I was told. When they peeled the shrink wrap off (was on there so long) it took a lot of the paint with it. Engine compartment is spotless isn't it. those merlins ran great. I have some interesting photos for you.

Will only owned the boat part of this last summer. He had big plans for it but he never sticks with anything to long. I busted my ass on that boat stripping it down to fiberglass and repainting it. I wanted to do a sick paint job but he didnt want to spend all that money and have the boat tied up for weeks. Wound up spraying it outside hence some of the bugs in the paint. I was afraid of that once the clear coat was laid on. sure enough 100 bugs flew into it. he just wanted to run the boat and didnt want to spend the time for me to wet sand and buff it after the clear to make it look beautiful without the orange peel look. also I wanted to block sand it and get rid of the orbital sander marks before the paint was laid. basically i wanted to do a factory quality paint job but he just wanted it painted all white and done in like 3 days lol. I've got like 40 hours invested in that paintjob. but i guess from 15 feet away it looks fine anyways and thats all he cared about. when I was sanding it down from the matco paint job I noticed the same emblem at one point was on the boat that the 39' one on yachtworld has but it was on the boat roughly in the middle instead of the rear like that 39'
Wow, very interesting to hear some more history on the boat. You did a pretty good job considering on the paint job. Its hard to make out what the image on the 39' says do you know what it was? Do you have any idea what color the boat was originally?

My plan is to finish touching up the white paint on the top deck, get the bottom of the hull refinished, replace the cockpit interior, replace all the gauges and freshen up the cuddy where its needed. I should have all this done and ready to go for spring...

I wasn't sure who manufactured the engines, how did you find out they were Merlins? That engine bay sure was clean, I was very surprised to see it like that.

and yes that was him up in bville. our crew heads up that way a lot for the concerts thursday nights on the island

will came across the boat in new jersey and was eyeing it for like a month. he has an insulation business and they did some work out there and was looking around at boats and saw that and had to have it.

here is a link to some photos of the paint job and what it looked like before the paintjob. http://elhomeintegration.com/wills_paint_job.html Click any of the images for a larger hi-res version. they aren't all in chronological order but you get the idea. theres some rough edits I did in paint of some ideas he had and colors for a sick paint job. purple and orange he was considering. I was all for it but he ultimately just decided to do plain white. he was going to get a vinyl wrap made too for it but never did.

also notice the picture of the DEC leaving my house. lol they can over and yelled at me for spraying in it the yard. haha.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000.../United-States man this boat looks wicked similiar to it and its a 2000. I wonder if technically your boat is actually an avanti 39 and not really a 41?

here is a video... idk if it will work because its on my facebook page and you might have to be on my friends list but here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/video/video...50279932925260 that is us running around 58mph on oneida in some nasty chop. was such a smooth ride. it was a horrible day out there i swear there were 6 foot rollers from dip to peak.

it was painted with ppg omni bc/cc line of paint. the white is ppg omni mbp acrylic urethane oem color code is 040,40 toyota super white in case you ever need touch up paint.
That old paint job really didn't look good on the boat. The arch really changes the look also, but not in a good way IMHO.

I'm pretty sure my boat is a 41' without the swim platform. I am going to measure it to be sure though. The other thing is my boat weighs in around 11-12k lbs. with the trailer and the 39' on Yachtauctions says that one weighs 9k lbs.

I would love to see the video you have any way you could email it to me or shoot me a PM with your name and I'll send you a friend request on facebook.

Thanks for the paint code I'm sure it will come in handy down the road.

Last edited by Bromaguire; 12-01-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

I forget what exactly it said... something racing.

Will told me they were 540 merlins so I always assumed thats what they were.

video was just us running it wide open for a minute on oneida. tons of wind noise and me joking we were doing 100mph and my buddy clinging onto the seat like hes gonna die lol.

Last edited by gerard143; 11-30-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bromaguire
Well I think your correct. The strakes go from 5" to 4" to 3" like you thought. After doing some reading last night I came across some more history of the hull...

It seems that the mold came from the MSV 44' boats that was then modified by JC Simon and your company where you removed the additional strake the MSV 44' had and some how Avanti ended up making boats out of your modified mold. Does that sound correct? Were there any other differences in the hulls besided the number of strakes?
First, I want to apologize for resurrecting a dead thread, but I feel like it was necessary.

Just to make it clear, this is Marc Miller - son of Sonny Miller; founder, designer and racer of MSV Powerboats.

After lots of research and reading on the influence of my father's design - it makes me wonder how someone can say they have 'designed' a hull by simply adding or removing what-nots and not giving credit where credit is due. The MSV was tested, raced, and proven and showed it's ass to the Cigarettes of that time before the Top Banana even existed... or any of the others of the same hull design.

I'm currently in process of bringing back the MSV in a wider form for the Cowes to Monte-Carlo 2013. Alongside constructing the boat and rebuilding the MSV brand, I will get the history of the boat and the company absolutely straight. My father has done great work and deserves the recognition in which others have not given.

Stay tuned - and if anyone has any questions, they can email me directly: [email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.