Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Donzi 35 ZR or Fountain 35 Lightning >

Donzi 35 ZR or Fountain 35 Lightning

Notices

Donzi 35 ZR or Fountain 35 Lightning

Old 11-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Look into a 38 Fountain with staggered 525s. It should run within 2-5 MPH of the same speed, more room and better in the rough. I would never buy a side by side again, only staggered. Impossible to work on unless you are 5' 5" and 150 pounds.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Sydwayz on the 37 and Thirdchildhood on the 38.
If your talking about bigger seas you'll need an upper 30's foot boat for a better ride in the rough.
Razor's correct also, all the Fountains I saw showed noticably smaller than other Mfg's boats of the same declared size.
But, they were also faster than the competitors boats too.
I'd guess my 38 to be at least 10 mph slower than a Fountain 38SC with equal power. And their 38 was way way smaller in the salon and the cockpit.

Congrats on your upcoming purchase. Place pic's of any offshore power boat your interested in in this Forum and most likely someone will recognize the boat and perhaps know the owner. I always thought I might wear out my welcome with the boats I posted here while searching but everyone was always happy to assist. 2 of the 4 were members exboats with new owners or friends of members.
I passed on both instantly after speaking with the member who sold due to what I felt was less than desirable representation by the seller.
Like you are cosnsidering to do, I bought a sight unseen, except for internet pic's, unit based on a powertrain survey, marine survey, and a seatrial.
It was nervewracking for sure, because I had a major hull issue that the surveyor brought to my attention which was completely omitted by the seller. I was friggin pissed at him and used this to knockdown my purchase price for a huge discount but still inherited the problem after closing the deal.
WHATEVER you do, don't purchase without a survey and a seatrial. And with the high performance motors like your considering getting a Merc or Team merc approved shop to perform a powertrain survey also.
This is the best money you'll spend toward your purchase.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 11-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are going to get a lot of opinions, many biased. For the kind of coin you are looking at, plane ticket and test drive.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You need to get to the Miami Boat coming up in February to check some boats out first hand. You will learn so much just by seeing ho the boats are layed out, layed up, built, measured, and accessorized.

That said, I'll get you out on a 33 or 37 Active Thunder, and you will be free to make the decision our last two customers looking for similar boats made. The last two owners both took rides in Fountain, Donzi, NorTech, Cigarette, and Sunsation. They are both proud owners of 2012 Active Thunders after making sure they compared the rides of each hull in rough water.

I'll also add, that the ride depends tremendously on the driver. You can't just point the wheel, set the sticks and hope for the best expecting the hull to do the work. When you have harmony between sea conditions, driver experience, boat setup, and passenger comfort; THEN you know what a boat is supposed to feel like.

Just be fair in your story.........the AT will be 100K less than a comparable new Fountain, Donzi, NT, Cig, Sunsation (assuming 36, not 32). Lots of things are going through a buyer's mind during a test run, budget concerns are a huge part of it!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Just be fair in your story.........the AT will be 100K less than a comparable new Fountain, Donzi, NT, Cig, Sunsation (assuming 36, not 32). Lots of things are going through a buyer's mind during a test run, budget concerns are a huge part of it!
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o42706-en.html

Check out that 37 Active Thunder, and the guys is asking $37,500!! Seems like a STEAL for that boat?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o42706-en.html

Check out that 37 Active Thunder, and the guys is asking $37,500!! Seems like a STEAL for that boat?
I agree that seems to good to be true!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I agree that seems to good to be true!!!
Older boat with older styling, but still great quality.
It's not a step bottom boat though.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback guys.....definitely has me thinking I should take my time.

I'm not really thinking about anything larger than 35 boats, mainly due to costs (I'm looking to buy a new or slightly used boat) so I know it's not gonna be cheap. Also smaller boats are easier to navigate in the marinas plus u can take them closer to shore.

I will try to make it to the Miami boat show. Do all the manufacturers have test drive boats there? Any other boat shows around the world?

Thanks
Old 11-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont want to post false info here, but doesnt Pier 57 and a few other dealers offer test drives for people who are interested?
If they do, that would be a great opportunity for the OP to get some seat time and learn about the boat of his choice.
Another thing to consider is tres martin's performance boat classes....a first time buyer, in my personal opinon, should do the course if they buy a go-fast....
Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi and welcome to OSO.

If you go by what I own, then you know my recommendation: Donzi.

That said, it is what suits ME best.

You have to determine what YOU want in a boat.
Cruising, poker runs, rafting up or beaching it, sleep on it, entertain, etc.
The only way to do this is go see the boats and sit in them. If you go to the Miami Boat Show, you can see all the new models firsthand. While in Miami, you can also hit a few of the local performance dealers and see any boats that are not at the show. (With all the legal stuff going on, Fountain, Donzi and Baja may not be at the show.)

As for the thread topic:
Donzi Zrs have a nice cockpit layout, great speed and handling but lack in cabin headroom.
It is a true 35' boat and rides like a larger boat than it is.
The fountains are equally fast with a smaller cockpit and headroom and only a 32' running surface.

There are other great options out there, and don't discount a 38' boat. It can get in anywhere a 35' can (unless you are limited by docking length). There are some great deals out there right now and you can get great deals on a slightly used boats!

The last thing I would recommend is to stay with well known name brands in a limited market area. It will be hard enough to sell it down the road and the better known it is, the easier to sell.

Just my feelings based on previous experiences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.