Notices

Burying a friend at sea

Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burying a friend at sea

Hi guys, recently I lost a very good friend to cancer. During his life he owned a Cig Cafe Racer, several TG's, a 38' Fountain, a Paramount, and several other offshore boats. His dying wish was to be cremated and buried at sea on his birthday in April, and it seems only right to do it off of an offshore boat. I volunteered mine, but I am not sure if there are any legalities to worry about, or if we can just go and dump the ashes offshore. Hopefully somebody on here has went through this and can help! Then I just have to figure out how to fit 11 people on my boat, haha! Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

First off I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's demise. At least it sounds like he enjoyed himself while he was here with a collection of toys like that.

As for the disposal of his ashes . Normally , the complications only come into play when there is a 'body' to be buried .
'X' number of miles from the shore/reef line/water depth etc.

You should be able to disperse the ashes wherever you want to. If you think there might be a public outcry just keep it quiet.

Some years back one of the coolest people I ever knew , a talented and eccentric machinist passed away . He was cremated and his wife split the ashes and put them in a few of his favourite places and kept a bit for herself .

Last edited by madbouyz; 12-03-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Registered

Very sorry for your loss, and comforting that he entrusted you for his last wishes. God Bless.

Are you the legal owner of said ashes? Wouldn't want a relative/relation issue to compound his final journey.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Registered

The Coast Guard has a scenario where you can report the coordinates of the final resting place, and they record/plot it on a map they have to show a place of record of the descendants final resting place.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered

For official business that charter sea burials theres rules. I think at least 5 miles for a scattering of ashes. 20 for a whole body sea burial. I want to get splashed whole when I go!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry for your loss, I did the same for my father, a WWII Navy LCDR Veteran and civilian boat Captain who spent more time on the water than land. It's been almost 18 yrs and every time I am on the water I am greeted with a comfortable feeling. On another note be wary on which way the wind is blowing.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

I was living on the NC coast when my dad passed. We had never discussed it, but since he was an old Navy guy (many years aboard the USS Forrestal) I figured he wouldn't mind having his ashes scattered in the Atlantic Ocean.

So, we took my boat and 8 or 9 folks including my sister and some of his friends there and headed out the Cape Fear and had a small ceremony about a mile offshore.

It felt like the right thing to do, and even more so as time goes by.

Sorry about your friend, Scott.

ditto what Lee said about the wind...

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG

Last edited by jayboat; 12-03-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

we just buried my dad this way a few months back, and I have done a bro in law, and another mutual friend.... wind direction can spoil the day... if you use your own vessel, there are no laws to my knowledge,... I have 4 places picked for myself...
Old 12-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Sorry for the loss and its cool your doing this for him. Its sad what happen to High Life but he passed doing and being where he loved and you are doing right by your friend.
-Mike
Old 12-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Registered

Thanks to everybody for their kind words!
Downtown- His wife will be on board with the ashes, and she loved the idea so I am good there.
Wind direction will definately be factored, I figure a slow idle into the wind will be best!
His wife says there are 9 friends and family members that want to come, so i'll probably have to rent a second boat, will make sure they are upwind also. Thanks again for all your thoughts!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.