Like Tree0Likes

Looking for 400hp small block for cat

Reply
Old 12-15-2011, 03:04 PM
  #51
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member
 
Stormrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Long Island, NY
My Boats: 2003 28 Pantera - SOLD
Posts: 8,810
Default

Just call JC Performance.
He is on LI too.
He can build a 475hp 383 no problem.
Stainless Marine manifolds would work well with it and are costs effective too.
Stormrider is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:43 PM
  #52
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastestbowtie View Post
I must say I am a little disappointed in the numbers that have been offered by LS builders on this forum. When a crate motor offered by GM is 430 hp configured with a restrictive intake/air cleaner, and stock cast iron manifolds with low flow cats etc. it seems a little odd when a custom builder totes marinized versions of the same motors in the same or close to the same HP rating. Even GM offers it with just a cam change at 480 hp, and everyone in the automotive arena knows that with just a cold air intake high flow cats, some minor exhaust work, and a more aggresive tune these are well over 450 hp at the flywheel. I would expect a marine application for these motors (provided they do not have to live up to some crazy emission standards) to start at 500 HP (for the 6.2) and go up from there.
Agreed- the numbers arent working for me.

I love all the tech but in terms of HP per dollar its not a deal.

Ive already built 500HP SBC's with 10 year lifespans and good dosckside manners for under 10K- the whole thing seems way out of whack to me.

I know they aren't exactly the same, but the net net of the difference is really only 2 things.

1. I have an Iron blocks if I spend 4K per I get aluminum but net net I dont buy the stock block so its a 3K delta.

2. Injection- they have that but other then not needing ro rejet at altitude changes, Im unsure thats worth the price.
Ive had to mess with my Carb exactly twice in a decade.

Ill save the 10K and spend 5 of it on gas booze and loose women, and the other 5K one of my other 20 toys (like tires for the motorhome)

UD
Uncle Dave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:44 PM
  #53
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post
Awesome. That was what I figured. I dont know if the speed that you are hoping for will come to pass, but I think it is certainly possible considering the Stihl Skater ran 130 or better with a set of 525's.

Are you doing the C306? with the full windshield? That would be sick.

Good luck with it.
Yep
Originalronza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:51 PM
  #54
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
offshoredrillin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maryland
My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'
Posts: 10,945
Default

check out these guys, they can marinize it for you...ask for Chad the owner...

http://www.golenengineservice.com/
offshoredrillin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 PM
  #55
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
blume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sherman, Texas
Posts: 2,524
Default 30' Skater

IDK if I believe all this about big blocks not being good for a 30'. In my opinion this is the hottest 30' on the water. It has big block power and Arneson drives.
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for 400hp small block for cat-dsc01463.jpg   Looking for 400hp small block for cat-dsc01462.jpg   Looking for 400hp small block for cat-dsc01466.jpg  

Looking for 400hp small block for cat-dsc01455.jpg   Looking for 400hp small block for cat-dsc01458.jpg  
blume is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:29 PM
  #56
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philm View Post
Awesome. That was what I figured. I dont know if the speed that you are hoping for will come to pass, but I think it is certainly possible considering the Stihl Skater ran 130 or better with a set of 525's.

Are you doing the C306? with the full windshield? That would be sick.

Good luck with it.
do you guys have any idea what it takes to get a 388 skater to run over 130 ? really stock 525's, you forgot to add in the altered PCMs, #6s with $10K HERRRING props and in kilo setup.

same for 390hp, 105 mph cat. i'll give that that boat might have ran 105 at some point maybe with a 20 mph tailwind, but as for an everyday setup that thing will have no acceleration. hopefully you never meet up with a 28 skater with 300x's. it would be embarrassing to get whipped by a outboard cat.

plus, your looking at HP when you should be looking a torque curves.

Last edited by skaterdave; 12-15-2011 at 07:32 PM.
skaterdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 PM
  #57
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdave View Post
do you guys have any idea what it takes to get a 388 skater to run over 130 ? really stock 525's, you forgot to add in the altered PCMs, #6s with $10K HERRRING props and in kilo setup.

same for 390hp, 105 mph cat. i'll give that that boat might have ran 105 at some point maybe with a 20 mph tailwind, but as for an everyday setup that thing will have no acceleration. hopefully you never meet up with a 28 skater with 300x's. it would be embarrassing to get whipped by a outboard cat.

plus, your looking at HP when you should be looking a torque curves.
Dave the predator had very good acceleration with the small blocks on bravo props, and ran that speed going into the wind. We are going with arnesons which should push it 5-8 mph faster than the imcos, and it eventually went 110 after it got dialed in. And the boat with twin 300x's went 118 mph
Originalronza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 PM
  #58
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sag Harbor, NY
My Boats: 2009 30' Skater
Posts: 82
Default

A 30' cat- is still better off with 300xs'. Its a reliable package with good speed. Yes a 28' is 7-10mph faster but thats in dead flat water. All that bs of inboards in nothing but a headache for the extra mph. Its not a big enough boat to justfiy the price on inboards.
28skater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:01 PM
  #59
Registered
 
OL40SVX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bristol, RI
My Boats: Outerlimits
Posts: 7,223
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalronza View Post
Dave the predator had very good acceleration with the small blocks on bravo props, and ran that speed going into the wind. We are going with arnesons which should push it 5-8 mph faster than the imcos, and it eventually went 110 after it got dialed in. And the boat with twin 300x's went 118 mph
Good luck with your project but what did Predator do to the AMT mold to get a 30ft pleasure cat running as fast as a 28 Skater with the same power? The 30ft AMT's did not run anywhere close to 118 with 300X's.
OL40SVX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:28 PM
  #60
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL40SVX View Post
Good luck with your project but what did Predator do to the AMT mold to get a 30ft pleasure cat running as fast as a 28 Skater with the same power? The 30ft AMT's did not run anywhere close to 118 with 300X's.
Wahoo racing had a 30 amt that hit 118mph on either 280 or 300 outboards. I'll try to find a link for you
Originalronza is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.