My Boats: formula35fastech

ean Go green GEt a sailboat
Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catastrophe View Post
Same here. I go past peoples homes in the canals and they all comment about whether the engines are running.

The loudest noise is Nick dropping ice into his 12th cocktail.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomChaos View Post
There's nothing much worse than having (or being) a bad neighbor. Just remember that.
A concept that is all too often lost on some of us.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32hustlin View Post
i used to be right on the "phuck em" bandwagon. Until i had a little incident the end of last year. We caught a real nice day in the middle of october(which is rare around here) so i decided to take the boat out for one last ride, i dropped in at a usual ramp and it was deserted besides a few fisherman. i dumped my boat and tied up just as a fishing boat was coming in so i helped them into the ramp next to me and tied them up. while they were waiting for their truck and trailer i decided to start up and warm my motors i usually leave them at a fast idle to warm up say 1200 rpms. well apparantly i startled a little girl in the fishing boat who was now crying hysterically and her parents were giving me the death stare. i immediately shut my motors off and waited for them to leave before restarting. sorry for the longwinded story but my point is that i had never felt like such an a$$ about how loud my boat is till that day just reminded me that sometimes we kinda deserve a little of that bad rap we get
One afternoon a couple summers ago at the marina, there was an elderly couple (about Alec's age ) fueling and loading up their cruiser behind me when I started up. This poor little old lady got startled so bad that she literally fell backwards and dumped their cooler all over herself. I felt horrible (although I did chuckle a little to myself). I've never felt a death stare so piercing before that or since. Boy were they pissed.

Though my love for open-piped big block V8's is never-ending, we've got to appreciate that not everyone appreciates it like we do. Music to one's ears is simply noise to some others. For instance, when I hear some punk azz kid ride by in their piece of sht ghetto-thump-boomer car, I get the urge to pull out my shotgun and blow their tires out. There are just as many folks out there who feel the same way about our boats. A little courtesy and consideration isn't too much to ask for, and will often be returned in kind. Those of you that are taking the "fvck-em" stance, don't realize that eventually it's going to ruin it for all of us. Those same people that you're "fvcking" are the ones that get pizzed off enough to show up at your neighborhood association meetings and their city councils and make complaints that eventually turn into legislation - that seemingly for some odd reason, groups like ours are usually too "busy" or too lazy to fight. And then it's over...

Finally, like Nort said, there's nothing worse than an azzhole neighbor that ruins your quality of life. Keep that in mind.

Last edited by CigDaze; 12-21-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Registered

My Boats: Fever

Have you ever tried to confront the complainers in person?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Registered

My Boats: Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JnT View Post
My boats are eggbeaters and relatively quiet. I keep a houseboat on a dock with a lot of older folks that enjoy their peace and quiet. When friends that are "*******s with loud boats" come for visits we are as polite and respectful as we can be for our elders. A fast ride in a loud boat goes a long way to appease the haters and they actually appreciate why the boats are loud. Now the "seniors" get excited when the loud boats come to visit as long as we are respectful and they get bragging rights for going fast in one of them dam cigar boats.
I have found that to work very well. Take them for a ride and then they love it.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

I was out in Cali. a bunch of years back and Ron with "Running with the Devil" was at the fuel docks. He had removable "donky dicks" The ladie on the boat behind him asked him what they were. He said it was to kee the boat quite. She said they are not working. He asked her if she wanted him to start the motor with out them. She said yes, he did, she about had a heart attack!

The problem is that people use the noise to try and put speed limits in place. While I love the noise as much as the other guy but I also realize that not everyone does. If we don't tone it down a little bit then we are all going to face the same thing. What good is a loud boat if you can only got 45 MPH! I would rather be quite and able to go at WOT then loud and slow......
Old 12-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Registered

Also read your condo docs. Reading the laws of the town/city is great, but if you bought into a condo asso that has its own rules regarding noise and boats there may be an issue.

We used to use a smaller whaler to pull out into the bay and put on a morning when there was larger louder boats to run...There are always people to cramp you.

After getting a new 32 single engine race boat running with a fresh motor we arrived into the lagoon later around 7pm and we needed to shut the motor down mid drift to grab lines for the dock. A woman clapped, and stated that "this was a quiet lagoon" (she, a new resident to the community was either not born or did not live on the lagoon in the 30s-90s when the lagoon was home to many large race boats and diesel fishing boats that would leave at all hours) So....a passenger in the race boat whom, at the time was a professor at an ivy league university, who is also 5' tall stood up on the engine hatch, pointed to the suspecting vocal offender and said in a nice polite voice, " well lady, I guess tonight the lagoon is not quiet so shut your mouth and learn to respect your neighbors" At that we all clapped and cheered for our noise loving, speed seeking girl. THe lagoon has houses on either side so the reverb made it sound like a monster truck in a closet, dry ext with a huge cam...

let your wife ask if they want to go for a ride, in some cases its like gun ownership and use, people will go to their deathbed stating that certain things are bad/ evil/ should be outlawed, et al only until they try it. You may have a friend for life and not realize it. Or your neighbor could just be an A hole transplanted from Jersey....

All the best, good to see you still have that awesome boat.

Last edited by TOASTY; 12-21-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Registered

As far as noise and neighbors go, I'll add my story...

About a year ago, a kid bought a house in my subdivision (quiet and kid friendly) during a estate auction (got it way below value). He drives a diesel pickup with a big stack through the bed. After about a month of him tearing up and down the street, I had a not-so-nice talk with him about it. A couple months later on a Saturday afternoon, I pulled my prostreet camaro out to warm it up and take it for a short drive since it sat a lot. He is a car guy and came down with another diesel guy to check out my car.

He said, "Nice car! How come I've never seen it out before?!"

Me, "Because my 8 month old son doesn't appreciate the noise or being woke up from his nap."

Ever since then, the kid babies his truck down the street and I'm very appreciative of it.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Registered

My Boats: 89 Wellcraft Eclipse 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdchildhood View Post
No, I've been boating on this lake for 20 years or so and there is no sense in becoming the local idiot just to antagonize one new neighbor. Besides, I think he's getting used to it. There have been no more problems. I just think that if he wants "peace & quiet" that he should not live on an all sports lake......or next to an airport or race track or firing range.......
Happens in the winter too.... people buy houses on or near a busy snowmobile trail and then complain about the noise. Sometimes nothing happens and other times, if they complain enough, an entire trail has to be routed through the woods or worse if it runs through the complainers property it is closed altogether!