Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   ?---> Upgrading power, will my outdrive *pop* (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/267597-upgrading-power-will-my-outdrive-%2Apop%2A.html)

98mkiv 12-22-2011 06:41 PM

?---> Upgrading power, will my outdrive *pop*

I've got a 3500# 2007 Monterey 214FS with a volvo 5.0 GL. AFAIK its been treated well. I'm considering power up a bit with a 454 BB. Would the SX outdrive on that handle the power? We run lakes and rivers and I'm not really abusive to the hardware. I average about 60 hours per year.

Not sure how much extra weight is added by the big block - would the boat not sit right in the water any more?

Any other issues anyone can see with the big block route?

Aside from the motor (which is EFI) being complete from top to bottom, is there anything else i'll need? Will my gauges still work?

Looking at the pics, will it fit (width wise)?

Thanks for the insight.
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/98mkiv/061.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/98mkiv/039.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i9/98mkiv/033.jpg

Mastercraft240 12-22-2011 06:58 PM

Sell it and get something else.

WildThing47 12-22-2011 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mastercraft240 (Post 3577300)
Sell it and get something else.

aren't we constructive...:lolhit:

Well...are you sure it's going to fit? That would be my first question....headers etc....

You might want to take some measurements, all your gauges should work fine as the sending units aren't particular to what you have....

SS930 12-22-2011 08:00 PM

Since you're from the northeast, have your parents buy you an Outerlimits. If it's anything smaller than a 40, throw a temper tantrum and demand they buy you a larger one. :drink:

WildThing47 12-22-2011 08:29 PM

Scott: don't be mean to Dan...haha

mikes280 12-22-2011 08:35 PM

first thing i would do is find someone that really knows the Volvo system front and back. But i would not cannibalize that boat, before i did that i would sale and look at something else.

30ctsutphen 12-22-2011 09:02 PM

turbocharge it and laugh at the other guys as you blow by on pump gas and get good milage to boot!

30ctsutphen 12-22-2011 09:03 PM

Its got a 5.0 L and a volvo penta so its already better than an OL your daddy or Girlfreind bought you

t500hps 12-22-2011 09:21 PM

The SX is volvo's equivalent to Merc's Bravo or maybe a little better IMO so it should be fine......but

You will spend a fortune and actually lower the value of that boat. That era boat would be suited for a 496 but I'm sure it wasn't an option in a 21 footer.......certainly a 454 was not an option. So, that leads me to believe your planning on building a custom motor vs buying a stock Volvo. Getting it to "talk" to your controls could be interesting as it won't be "plug-n-play".

It might fit and comparing factory measurements of whatever you plan on building would be needed. I'd expect you'll spend $3-4K after you spend whatever $$$ building the motor. If you really want to cruise around 10 mph faster, the cheapest way is to just run the motor WOT and realize you'll be re-building it sooner than you'd like.

The absolute cheapest way to go faster is to sell this boat and buy a faster one.

98mkiv 12-22-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by SS930 (Post 3577337)
Since you're from the northeast, have your parents buy you an Outerlimits. If it's anything smaller than a 40, throw a temper tantrum and demand they buy you a larger one. :drink:

yah, I 'll take that under advisement, thanks for the help genius.

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen (Post 3577393)
turbocharge it and laugh at the other guys as you blow by on pump gas and get good milage to boot!

Turbo is a real science project, not going there.

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3577406)
The SX is volvo's equivalent to Merc's Bravo or maybe a little better IMO so it should be fine......but

You will spend a fortune and actually lower the value of that boat. That era boat would be suited for a 496 but I'm sure it wasn't an option in a 21 footer.......certainly a 454 was not an option. So, that leads me to believe your planning on building a custom motor vs buying a stock Volvo. Getting it to "talk" to your controls could be interesting as it won't be "plug-n-play".

It might fit and comparing factory measurements of whatever you plan on building would be needed. I'd expect you'll spend $3-4K after you spend whatever $$$ building the motor. If you really want to cruise around 10 mph faster, the cheapest way is to just run the motor WOT and realize you'll be re-building it sooner than you'd like.

The absolute cheapest way to go faster is to sell this boat and buy a faster one.

Probably right. I'm not looking for a huge step in power, a 5.7 would be just right and a true drop in. Actually, the next step in line would be just keeping the 5.0 and adding a 4 barrel carb & manifold, that would probably wake it up just fine. You have to envision the monterey with a captains call exhaust and a bit more motor; would be pretty sweet.

C_Spray 12-22-2011 09:40 PM

t500hps is correct on the key element of your question: The SX will be fine. Volvo installed that drive with big blocks up to 415 hp, and they are a conservative company. Have at it!

offshorexcursion 12-22-2011 10:28 PM

Yes the drive will handle it.

Best advice is to sell the boat and buy one that already goes faster.

bunky1957 12-22-2011 11:24 PM

power increase

What about swapping the 5.0 small block for a 383" small block.Should be able to get close to 400 hp with no weight penalty or too much custom rigging.Much of what you already have could be re-used.The exhaust would need an upgrade too of course.

pqjack 12-23-2011 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by bunky1957 (Post 3577511)
What about swapping the 5.0 small block for a 383" small block.Should be able to get close to 400 hp with no weight penalty or too much custom rigging.Much of what you already have could be re-used.The exhaust would need an upgrade too of course.

+ 1
a 6.2 would be a nice set-up in your boat,and not cannibalize it too much

A.O. Razor 12-23-2011 06:35 AM

The OP tells us that he wants a 454, but what kind of power? 350hp, 400ho, 500hp? I mean, it's kinda difficult to give any real advice, other than the obvious, buy a faster boat.
Also, when he's going to sell the boat, he will take a loss, since the folks who are in the market for that kind of boat, won't like home grown power.
If it will fit, either istall a Volvo 5,7 320 hp motor or install the Volvo big block. At least then he will have original power.

98mkiv 12-23-2011 06:38 AM

I agree, this sounds great. Might be a bit of a challenge finding one that is resonablly priced though....? The more I think on this, the more it looks like intake/carb/cams might be the best route or..... intake/TBI injection/cams.....

I'm not really looking for crazy top end at all, I just don't want to be disappointed when I hit the throttle either.

t500hps 12-23-2011 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by 98mkiv (Post 3577588)
I agree, this sounds great. Might be a bit of a challenge finding one that is resonablly priced though....? The more I think on this, the more it looks like intake/carb/cams might be the best route or..... intake/TBI injection/cams.....

I'm not really looking for crazy top end at all, I just don't want to be disappointed when I hit the throttle either.

Most all boats sell "reasonably priced" right now IMO.....it's selling them that really sucks!

Just remember, your taking a minivan and putting a bigger/faster motor in it. Find a 10 sec minivan and see how many buyers are out there for something like that. Whatever it is worth right now will be reduced further by a modified motor. I too feel your best option is to find/build a 5.7 into a 383 and do it from scratch. Keep your 5.0 sitting in the garage so you can re-install it when you decide to sell (which will be in 2-3 years tops).

98mkiv 12-23-2011 07:52 AM

Yah, I suppose you're right. Keeping the stock motor in there and just the 4bbl and mani are simple and won't hurt the value and will probably get me the ~30-40hp I'm looking for.

endeavor1 12-23-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by 98mkiv (Post 3577631)
Yah, I suppose you're right. Keeping the stock motor in there and just the 4bbl and mani are simple and won't hurt the value and will probably get me the ~30-40hp I'm looking for.

This unfortunatley will be only the begining for your quest of the horsepower you are "looking" for. Run it stock as is and enjoy it for what it is. When you are ready more speed, power, whatever it is, sell this boat and move on to another that fits your criteria. You still have never stated what it is exactly you are trying to gain. Better hole shot for skiers - change props, top end - another change, and on and on. Good luck.

Quent 12-23-2011 08:12 AM

For a little over $6000 you can get a Merc 383MPI. Strong turnkey engine. I don't know about the drive adaptability. Several guys on OSO have had very good experience with this setup. Just a thought.

t500hps 12-23-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by 98mkiv (Post 3577631)

What will that cost you???? I can tell you it will get a good 1, maybe 2 mph.........is it worth it?

SS930 12-23-2011 09:48 AM

Your only reasonable options are:
1) Leave it as is.
2) Pull the stock power and install a warmed over 383, replace it with the original power when you sell it.
3) Sell it and buy a faster boat.

Of the three, 1 &3 are your best bets...

machloosy 12-23-2011 11:23 AM

I don't think its even a power issue with the Montery at this point. Its kind of like modding a Lexus GS350, can it be done? Sure it can and it'll probably go fast too, but it wasn't ever intended for that and no one will buy it when you're done with it. If you are going to do anything, put a Volvo 5.7L in and leave the EFI alone. That year of Montery wasn't available with a carb so don't put one in, people will look and wonder what else has been messed with. Ever seen a lifted truck and walked away from it on the chance that its had the crap beat out of it and just looks pretty? Either sell the boat and get something that was intended to run, or do a 5.7 swap and be happy with what it gives you. My real world $.02
If you really MUST keep the boat and must go faster, a 383 efi motor and captains call would allow you to keep efi and a stock appearance with a lot more balls. Might not absolutely kill resale. Put the 5.7L volvo cover on it when you go to sell :evilb:

1MOSES1 12-23-2011 12:02 PM

scorpion 383 cubic inch available from Mercury rated 400 HP

onesickpantera 12-23-2011 12:23 PM

As stated that SX will take more hp than a Bravo so no worries there.

Also as stated a 320pshp Volvo 5.7 might be a good swap.

Years ago I swapped out a 250pshp Volvo 5.7 to the 320pshp version. Very simple and I picked up 6mph.

If you do go Merc you have to use a Volvo bell housing, motor mounts and I believe one other thing but I can't remember right now.

brivander 12-23-2011 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by onesickpantera (Post 3577862)
As stated that SX will take more hp than a Bravo so no worries there.

Also as stated a 320pshp Volvo 5.7 might be a good swap.

Years ago I swapped out a 250pshp Volvo 5.7 to the 320pshp version. Very simple and I picked up 6mph.

If you do go Merc you have to use a Volvo bell housing, motor mounts and I believe one other thing but I can't remember right now.

This is absolutely the best option, small block Chevy's are damn near free (ok, that's a little exaggerated). You can always transfer the accessories...Look for one.

Oh, and yes, the outdrive is fine. As for weight, any set of decent headers pretty much makes up the weight difference.

glassdave 12-23-2011 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 3577433)
t500hps is correct on the key element of your question: The SX will be fine. Volvo installed that drive with big blocks up to 415 hp, and they are a conservative company. Have at it!

+1

Volvo builds a great drive that can handle power well. They also put some thought into protecting the drive rather then engineering catastrophic loss into the product. They put a sheer coupler between the upper and lower shaft that lets go in order to save the drive. We've had 600hp in front of a DPX with years of abuse and no probs. I believe the coupler is roughly a seventy dollar part and only takes an hour or so to install if ya lunch one . . . . . Have at it! :D

offshorexcursion 12-23-2011 10:03 PM

30 to 40 hp will not even be worth the money

Add over 100 or leave it stock

Again, buy a new boat, yes you might have to sell yours for less than you want but you will save more than you lose on your next boat.

98mkiv 12-24-2011 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the input, I like the captains call most of all so I think I'll look around for a 5.7 setup and then add the captains call.

I can't post to the WTB section. If you know of anyone selling a good 5.7 setup LMK :)

98mkiv 12-24-2011 11:15 AM

Ok, one more idea, how about this:

SBC 406, B&M blower and intake manifold, double pumper carb, roller motor. 8:1 CR, 1973 vintage. Been dyno'd at 550HP/595FT# with headers, obviously will be restricited by the penta manifolds..

Big question on this one is whether or not my manifolds will bolt up to it.

Thoughts? Thanks for the help.

pqjack 12-24-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 98mkiv (Post 3578441)

SBC 406, B&M blower and intake manifold, double pumper carb, roller motor. 8:1 CR, 1973 vintage. Been dyno'd at 550HP/595FT# with headers, obviously will be restricited by the penta manifolds..

:eek:

C_Spray 12-24-2011 11:41 AM

Look for a good take-out Volvo Penta 5.7GX series engine. They are 350 ci, rated 320 hp at the prop, and will drop straight in. You can then re-sell your complete 5.0 package. Minimum fuss and minimum outlay.

98mkiv 12-24-2011 12:08 PM

so is that a thumbs down on the blower motor?

98mkiv 12-24-2011 12:09 PM

and would those heads accept the exhaust manifolds?

Raylar 12-24-2011 12:59 PM

Think! - Then Think Again!

Dude!
You sound like a younger first or so boat owner, so try and think a little furthur up the Road! so to speak.
If you own the boat and never really plan on re-selling it or upgrading in boat size, type, or performance then you can modify this little puppy anyway you choose and as long as you still end up with a safe handling affordable package for you. Your SX drive can probably handle up to 500HP throttled reasonably and less wake jumping.

However if you might be reselling this HOT ROD in the future then take some of the WISE advice already given in htis thread and keep your power and engine upgrades in compliance with what this model boat was available with when offered in 2007 or you will pretty much destroy any reasonable resale value and certainly create possible finance issues for anyone want to buy and finance it with almost any marine lender! Just remember that most boat buyers of this type of medium performance small boat are not going to want to purchase someone else's morphidite experimentation in marine power versus hull attempt!
My thought here, most likely the Volvo 5.7 320HP efi was an option with that drive and should convert nicely. If you really want a lot faster performance boat, sell this one and go by a better example!
"advise, the wise man don't need it and the fool won't heed it!"

Best of luck with your plans, boat safe! ,have fun and enjoy!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

brivander 12-24-2011 01:17 PM

There is some good advise in this thread, as soon as you go aftermarket, the value of that boat DROPS significantly, find the 5.7 volvo stuff, it way SEEM like a LOT, but your take out setup will sell nicely and for a good price.

t500hps 12-24-2011 02:12 PM

It's a terrible idea unless this is your boat for the next 10+ years.

Your boat has a current value of $20K NADA without options so getting $20K is about all you could hope for right now. Spending $5K on that motor, another 3-4K on exhaust (because those factory manifolds won't work even if they do bolt-up), and then another $2-4K getting everything working correctly means you have another $10-13K wrapped up in this boat.........and will be lucky to find anyone willing to give you $15K for it because everyone (me included) will be afraid that "frankenstein".

A.O. Razor 12-24-2011 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 3578511)
Dude!
You sound like a younger first or so boat owner, so try and think a little furthur up the Road! so to speak.
If you own the boat and never really plan on re-selling it or upgrading in boat size, type, or performance then you can modify this little puppy anyway you choose and as long as you still end up with a safe handling affordable package for you. Your SX drive can probably handle up to 500HP throttled reasonably and less wake jumping.

However if you might be reselling this HOT ROD in the future then take some of the WISE advice already given in htis thread and keep your power and engine upgrades in compliance with what this model boat was available with when offered in 2007 or you will pretty much destroy any reasonable resale value and certainly create possible finance issues for anyone want to buy and finance it with almost any marine lender! Just remember that most boat buyers of this type of medium performance small boat are not going to want to purchase someone else's morphidite experimentation in marine power versus hull attempt!
My thought here, most likely the Volvo 5.7 320HP efi was an option with that drive and should convert nicely. If you really want a lot faster performance boat, sell this one and go by a better example!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

I will start by putting my flame retardent suit on.

I will agree 100% with Ray and many others on this, and then say. Are you even listening to what folks are telling you? Many here have been, and seen others go down this road. It's a bumpy ride that usually ends with a heap of money spent on almost nothing. If you just want folks to confirm that your idea is great, fine, but the truth is, you're heading for a big financial loss, with minimal performance gain. If you are not going to listen to what people are telling you, move on and do what you want. Sorry, not trying to be an azz, but this is silly.

Flame away.

Merry Christmas

98mkiv 12-26-2011 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Raylar (Post 3578511)
Dude!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

First option for me is really just to keep it mellow, and as you say appropriately powered for the model year. So to that end, a 5.0 GXI MPFI setup would be the best since it would mean I could leave the block in the hull and swap the electronics.

Next best is to find a good used 5.7GXI setup.

I think I'll take the advice given here and keep the plans simple.

So.... anyone care to help me find a used 5.7GXI? I don't mind doing a rebuild. The 5.7 bolts up the manifolds I have today, correct?

brivander 12-26-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by 98mkiv (Post 3579614)
First option for me is really just to keep it mellow, and as you say appropriately powered for the model year. So to that end, a 5.0 GXI MPFI setup would be the best since it would mean I could leave the block in the hull and swap the electronics.

Next best is to find a good used 5.7GXI setup.

I think I'll take the advice given here and keep the plans simple.

So.... anyone care to help me find a used 5.7GXI? I don't mind doing a rebuild. The 5.7 bolts up the manifolds I have today, correct?

If it were me in your shoes, I'd buy a complete and new setup with manifolds and everything. -- there are tons of these for sale on ebay etc. Find one and check back here to see if it's a reputable seller. I would think $4500-5500 for a complete set-up should be about right and then you can sell your COMPLETE set-up for good money, probably $2000 or so, maybe a bit more.

A little to much money but just look around, http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-7-GM-M...#ht_499wt_1197

It doesn't say about warranty on this engine, but a warranty would be nice too.

If you can be patient, a good 5.7gxi will pop up.