Notices

When is a dually needed?

Old 12-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Is this red-neck logic or physics? LOL

So....the smaller the foot print the greater the contact pressure.....which must be better. There is a bell curve on this equation, and SRW is on the the low part of the equation. Are you running with slicks?
Nort, you are right there is a point where contact area is too small and the wheel torque will be able to make the tire loose grip regardless of pressure on the ground.

The peice missing in all the BS back and fort is weight on the bed of the DRW vs SRW. If both are empty anyone is hard pressed to make a case the DRW is better in any way other than "I like having four rear wheels", if anyone could please show me their math for that I'd be impressed. If both are loaded with a weight exceeding the payload of the SRW than of course the DRW is safer and better suited.

But, here is some Red Neck logic for you - We have some dozer guys on here and they can say YES or NO - you take a dozer with LGP tracks vs standard tracks on a firm surface the standard tracks grip better or not? Take the same two machines on very soft ground and the standard digs and sinks in while the LGP just moves right along, right? It's PSI of contact area.

Does it get anymore Red Neck than that - LOL!

Bobtail tractors or empty DRW today still have the exact same problem they ever have had, but the electronics in today's anti-lock's control it better than old days where on a tractor brake adjustment & brake chamber rod lengths (beside tires themselves) all factored into why some wheels locked some did not on braking causing skidding, if that is what we are talking about?

Bobtail tractors or a empty DRW still have very little traction, try to pull something with a chain on the back of the tractor/DRW and then hook the tractor/DRW to laoded trailer and put the chain on the back of the trailer, the ability for the tractor/DRW to pull the object without the tires breaking loose will be greatly increased, will it not? Three things happened here the tires deflected a little more giving more area, the deflection in the sidewall allowed the contact patch to be offset a hair form the center of the axle down to the ground when torque was applied and we added more weight to allow the larger, offset area to push into the ground a little harder creating more friction.

Again, that was more Red Neck logic.

Now, all you DRW people just roll over agree with us SRW people or I'll whip out the text book tonight and post 10 pages of useless mathamatics to start the New Year right!

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 12-27-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Lets face it,,,,if someone says black,,,someone else will say white,,,, ford / chevy ......cigarette / apache..

FOR ME,,,,,,Having towed the same boat ( 12,600 ) with both SRW and DRW ,,,, The SRW did just fine,,,,, but I fell safer and dont have to " drive " the truck as much with my Dually.

Quick lane change with the SRW I could feel the boat tugging on the truck,,,,,DRW just followed right behind me.

Brakes should not be an issue,,,,, if you dont keep your trailer brakes right,,,, you have bigger problems then the truck you choose
Old 12-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER

Hell, I could sell my dually and hook up my girls hemi grand Cherokee to the boat. It is rated for 8800 lbs I think the manual says. Plus it has a hemi, and its srw. Should get great traction with those skinny 225 tires, lots of psi per square inch. I should be good as long as the jeep is maintained and tire psi set to 44psi. Then I could hit the bank drive thru, car wash, mcdonald's for a quick mcflurry on the way to the launch ramp.
now thats phuch!n funny
i'll pass on the flurry thou and do the p!nk taco joint

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HAPPY HOLIDAYZ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are duallys overkill in most situations? yes..
That much we learned in the SRW/DRW threads.

But why buy an MTI when a sailboat would get you to the same end of the lake?

Its about WANT..
Old 12-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
Are duallys overkill in most situations? yes..
That much we learned in the SRW/DRW threads.

But why buy an MTI when a sailboat would get you to the same end of the lake?

Its about WANT..
+1000%
Old 12-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned both. Dually will always do the job better, no matter what amount of weight or length your towing. But they do flip more rocks...
Old 12-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

This is a big thing with me. I would like to go into a 30' twin engine boat but will not sell my truck to do so.

I have a AWD 6.0 Escalade EXT and am looking for my first "power boat". I am more than happy with my current truck and with most boats I see in the 30' range I am going to be too heavy. So I think a single engine 25/27' will be my entry into power boating.

Not 100% but what do you guys think?

Don't want a slip at this time, it will be my first faster boat (so not looking for over kill), and 110% plan on keeping my current truck and not adding another rig as I already have 3.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Nort, you are right there is a point where contact area is too small and the wheel torque will be able to make the tire loose grip regardless of pressure on the ground.

The peice missing in all the BS back and fort is weight on the bed of the DRW vs SRW. If both are empty anyone is hard pressed to make a case the DRW is better in any way other than "I like having four rear wheels", if anyone could please show me their math for that I'd be impressed. If both are loaded with a weight exceeding the payload of the SRW than of course the DRW is safer and better suited.

But, here is some Red Neck logic for you - We have some dozer guys on here and they can say YES or NO - you take a dozer with LGP tracks vs standard tracks on a firm surface the standard tracks grip better or not? Take the same two machines on very soft ground and the standard digs and sinks in while the LGP just moves right along, right? It's PSI of contact area.

Does it get anymore Red Neck than that - LOL!

Bobtail tractors or empty DRW today still have the exact same problem they ever have had, but the electronics in today's anti-lock's control it better than old days where on a tractor brake adjustment & brake chamber rod lengths (beside tires themselves) all factored into why some wheels locked some did not on braking causing skidding, if that is what we are talking about?

Bobtail tractors or a empty DRW still have very little traction, try to pull something with a chain on the back of the tractor/DRW and then hook the tractor/DRW to laoded trailer and put the chain on the back of the trailer, the ability for the tractor/DRW to pull the object without the tires breaking loose will be greatly increased, will it not? Three things happened here the tires deflected a little more giving more area, the deflection in the sidewall allowed the contact patch to be offset a hair form the center of the axle down to the ground when torque was applied and we added more weight to allow the larger, offset area to push into the ground a little harder creating more friction.

Again, that was more Red Neck logic.

Now, all you DRW people just roll over agree with us SRW people or I'll whip out the text book tonight and post 10 pages of useless mathamatics to start the New Year right!
We have people in washington just like you. I guess ill just forget my 30 my years and over 3 million miles of trucking experince because some dumb azz book jockey knows better i dont think so ive hauled 120ft long 60 ton bridge beams among other over sized things probably have close to a quarter million miles bobtailing. so i call bull on all your mumbo jumbo ill just stick with my accident free experience.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Registered

KWright - Funny without book jockey's drivers wouldn't have a job because they wouldn't know how to make a truck, they would still use push carts in the streets of NY.

Now we're even and we can start from square one - which part is mumbo jumbo, can you show me fact other than your word?

The fact you are a safe driver and probably a very professional driver withs lots of experience so you drive with caution and don't do stupid things what does that have to do with physics?

I'm in WJ Casey's yard here in NJ often, I see all the equipment for hauling heavy tranformers etc how does any of that relate to this other than the same principles apply, dangerous when bobtailing in the hands of inexperienced people or people that push too hard and they need the tractors weighted to tow the big pintle hook trailers?

Again, what was mumbo jumbo and show me I'm wrong, I welcome you to do that, I'll appologize and say your the smarter better man.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

First off dont care to be better than anybody. Just sick of people claiming things they have no real world experience about ie bobtailing. my semis are just as safe bobtailing as a empty pickup. weight on a hitch is better on a srw than a drw. when your headed down a curvy mountain road and your bumper pivot hitch starts pushing the back of your truck with ampified power ill take the dually thank you just my own opinion no stats to back it up heck if everthing worked out on paper we would be living in a perfect world
If you read my post you will see the only thing i have pushed is saftey, might be one of my family members meeting you on the road one day. drw or srw get what ever works for you as long as it is safe an stop raggin on us that err on the side of saftey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.