Notices

where do you guys work

Old 01-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While you're 16 and trying to plan for what you want to do in life, how much money you'll have, what boats you'll own, etc....don't forget to figure a percentage of your future salary for alimony and child support payments
Old 01-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This gives a pretty good overview of some of the financial challenges that doctors are facing today. Thought this was relavant to some of the topics being discussed.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/small-...101200127.html
Old 01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excavator Operator. Whatever you decide to do, you better like it.
Attached Thumbnails where do you guys work-01-06-12_0848-1.jpg  
Old 01-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tbooten
I'm a mining engineer and I started working for my company freshman year of college. Great job security and great pay.
Are there a lot of job opportunities in the US for mine engineers? Just curious because I went back to school recently to get an engineering degree and that is one branch I am interested in. Either that or petroleum.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja_342
While you're 16 and trying to plan for what you want to do in life, how much money you'll have, what boats you'll own, etc....don't forget to figure a percentage of your future salary for alimony and child support payments
ur a funny guy
Old 01-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Philm
You want to make some money and only work 6 months a year? Come on out to the offshore oil and gas industry.

You wouldnt believe me if I told you what supervisor level positions pay out here.

Tugs dont pay well at all relative to other maritime work. Figure $60-80k for a captain. Supply boats in the Gulf do better, with mates with certain companies pulling in $100k or so for 6 months of work. But the real money is on the rigs.

All of these jobs will require a maritime license, so count on either spending a lot of time doing really chit jobs until you get enough sea time to get a license or going to a maritime academy. I would recommend the US Merchant Marine Academy, but I am biased somewhat. Plus, if you wanted to be an officer in the USAF first, it is up to you as you get a commission in the military with whatever branch you choose.
i was thinking off oil wells but dosent that stuff give u cancer
Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by dee242
Im 16 and have been around boats my whole life my dad repairs them riggs them and salvages them I have also had the opportunity to do some fibreglass work but when I finish school I was thinking of becoming a marine technician and going to school at MMI in Orlando Florida but, many people were telling me that college is a waste of time and money so what jobs would you recommend me, I would prefer to work on the water and on boats. Also what college would you recommend. Thanks and please don't flame me or tell me I got my priority's mixed up I am just trying to find a job that ill enjoy and if this is the wrong place to post MODS pleas move it.
Their is no way I'm reading all the post's, so if this has been said already, I apologize. If people tell you college is a waste of time, don't listen. College CAN be a waste of time for certain people, but the advice has to come from someone that knows you real well. My belief is , for someone your age, the harder you work now, the easier you can work later. It doesn't always work, we need ditch diggers too. I have a retail business and I'm fortunate that it is pretty successful, but I always tell the young kids that come through to bust their butt now in school and get the best education you can, it can never hurt. However, this is not for everybody. My wife is a teacher- and not with the best kids-, but there definitely is certain circumstances when college is not the answer. I would say, in my opinion, if you're qualified for college and have the means to go, you should go. ( this coming from someone that didn't go to college---except for 3 hours )
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Registered

just remember. you have to wake up every day and perform that said task you have chosen for the rest of your life.

i am a resident director at a college in NY. basically i handle everything from my boyfriend dumped me, to serious rape-suicide stuff. i am a college baby sitter. you grow so much when you attend college and live in dorms socially. I have diesel, auto mechanics, landscaping majors in my office all the time *****ing on how they could be out there making money. i tell them, because i am not a mechanical person, i need people like them. when i bring my brandy new f450 in for some tuning i am going to have instant loyalty if i see a degree on the wall. not to mention they will be better spoken, and more socially advanced. also my first love was art and that is what i went to college for. i am experienced in glass blowing, ceramics, and furniture construction. i would never ever want to be forced to be creative every day. i was lucky to find out i am good with working with college students.

so! while i love fast boats, art, and my job..... go to college! more importantly live in a dorm and study hard! people can preach study! study! all they want but it comes down to you being successful. good luck man.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

i design network solutions that allow law agencies to monitor your voice, data, sms, etc traffic for a wireline/wireless carrier.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:48 PM
Banned

Vehicle Dynamics Engineer, great money, but with the education I have I could be making a LOT more had I played my cards right. BS, and two MS degrees. Should have just been something in the medical field, the wife makes more than I do with less education, but her MS has the word anesthesiology in it....

College was a no brainer, University of Michigan since it was right up the road.

We got a late late start on our careers because of mistakes made earlier in life, don't make the same mistakes we did...over 30 now and if we had been doing this when I was 22....well lets just say it'd be better, and I have something better than a 92' Four Winns

Nobody should tell you not to do what you love, but I firmly believe people that tell you college is a waste are NOT looking out for your best interest. It's not necessarily the schooling that will make your career, but the other lessons you learn there that are invaluable, the contacts you make, the friendships you form.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.