Notices

OT: Where to stay on Maui

Old 06-18-2002, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 2,972 Likes on 982 Posts

Mike, been going there since I was 2 months old!!
Yea, been to Huggos...Don't know how long it's been since you were there but Huggos is way over priced now and a tourist trap! I'm going to be heading out there July 5th
Whats with absolutely no offshore boats there!?

Tank
Old 06-18-2002, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't remember where we really stayed but it was in the vacinty of Kanapalii Beach. Been there a few times and have not been dissapointed. It is a bueatiful place.. And only short drive to lahaina where you can find fun night life and jimmy buffets cheesburgers in paradise. The snorkeling is unbeleivabe too, we went on a snorkeling trip on a big boat which they fed us a few great meals and snorkeled all day chasing the sea turtles.. (shhhhh don't tell) LOL!

Good luck and have fun bud.

Travis
Old 06-18-2002, 07:11 PM
Luxy60

Thanks for all the great feedback! It's sounds like there are lots of top notch resorts on Maui. This hasn't made my decision any easier!
mdbotr - The Grand Wailea is another place I will look into.
BCC - I had heard from some friends that the Ritz was in a windy area and the beach is a ways down in front of the resort. All the positive comments definitely have re-enforced my desire to go to Hawaii vs. an easier destination like the Caribbean or Europe. I wasn't aware it was the rainy season in Kauai. Is it too wet to bother or just the occassional shower?? I'm going for sunshine and playtime and would rather skip it if there's a chance of a lot of cloudy/ wet weather.

BossHammer - we will make it a point to head over to Oahu for a day and see Pearl Harbor. The extended family includes 3 Commanders and a CWO, two of which are stationed at Pearl, so we'll have dinner and hopefully get the VIP tour!

Thanks all for the best wishes and I'll post some pictures after the trip....those rated G anyway!

Luxy

Old 06-18-2002, 07:34 PM
HavasuCat

We were in Maui last January and stayed in Kaanapali, it had great beaches and great snorkling. I was told by a local that the Grand Wailea was the nicest place to stay on the Island.

As far as the rain...it rained every day we were there (10 days) but it was still 80 degrees out so it did not matter. I am a person that does not usually like rain, but it is not like the rain we get here in the states. It was warm and the temp did not drop.

I would recommend driving the road to Hana, it is long but worth the drive. Stop at the Seven pools for a swim and to look at the water falls. Take a drive up to the top of Haleakala (sp), but wear some warm clothes. It was 40 degrees on the top when we were there and 80 at the bottom. Hawaii is a great place, you will love it there.

Last edited by HavasuCat; 06-18-2002 at 07:39 PM.

Old 06-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Marriot and Grand Walia are awesome. Not to impressed with the Hilton. Been awhile though for me. If you go to Kauai, then take a heli ride and be sure to rent a boat and try skiing and or boarding there, you will have a blast in some of the most beautiful places you have ever seen!
Chris
Old 06-18-2002, 10:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wailea is definatly the place to be , Grand Wailea and the Aston Wailea are awesome ( I think the aston changed names)
Old 06-18-2002, 11:14 PM
Registered

Kaanapali is where the first nice hotels were built on the island, there's a reason, it's the best beach on the Island. I lived on Maui in the seventies and was just there in Feb.. We stayed at the Whaler on Kaanapali. 2 kids and grandma requires a condo. The pools and mega resorts are better in Whailea but the beaches, sceenery, night life, and surfing are better on the N.W. side. If your into diving take a boat to Lanai and dive the Cathedrals.

For dinner don't miss the Kapalua Bay Club, it sits out on the point across from the kapalua Bay Hotel. It was built as a club and has a pool on the point. Order a couple Mai Tai's just befor sunset, and watch the whales from the point. It gets an older crowd so you'll be the only ones out there. Very romantic spot.
One of the coolest local beaches is Slaughterhouse. It's just before Honolua Bay ( one of the best waves in the world ), they just built stairs down to the beach , it used to be a nasty trail. Ask one of the locals in the hotel for directions.

The Sheraton Princeviile on Kauai is one of my favorite spots on earth. Sitting in their infinty pool when Hanalei Bay is breaking is like sitting right in the line-up. North shore Kauai still has an "Old Hawaii" feel to it that's getting harder and harder to find.
November is iffy though. You will get some rain. But hey, your on your honeymoon, when it rains you should be able to find something to do.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:49 PM
Registered

Great choice! We honeymooned in both Kauai and Maui five years ago. BCC's suggestion for Princeville is a great choice for Kauai, as is the Hyatt at Shipwreck Beach and the Marriott. There is a great book, I think it's called Secret Kauai (lent it out, never got it back) that will give you great spots off the beaten path. I was actually bored in Kauai but absolutely loved Maui. We stayed at the Sheraton on Ka'anapalli Beach - beautiful resort, great service, highly recommend. My suggestion is whereever you decide to go, book your reservations directly with the hotel, not through a travel agent or the hotel's 800 number. I found that the hotels themselves were very negotiable and hold back some of their best rooms from the 800 reservations. We rented a Harley for a day, which was the best day of the trip! It was nice to scoot right around the tour buses full of blue-haired tourists going 10 mph. If you decide to take a helicopter trip, book it well in advance - we missed out! Your hotel concierge will be able to help you select a helicopter company or any other activities. Good luck!