Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors >

Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors

Notices

Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors

Old 01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

I looked up the SBI rules and could not find anything on air supplies. I did, though, find that they have some canopy "guidelines" that are not printed, but you can call a number to get them. It is on page 17 of the rulebook. Here is a link:
http://superboat.com/wp-content/uplo...es-9-21-11.pdf
Old 01-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Frank, I agree with you that Mike A could have a bone to pick with John C but that has nothing to do with how the case is being handled, sending letters to sponsors, contributors etc is not uncommon.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldSchool
True, but the boat also had an escape hatch in the floor and it doesn't appear that it was used. Why? Was the boat inspected before the race by the SBI officials and safety crew?

Also, I have NEVER heard of a diver that would enter the water without having a knife.
I'm not throwing rocks at anyone or trying to stir anything up here, just asking questions that don't make any sense to me...
Very good points.... Unfortunately with future safety being the alleged reason for this litigation, with the loss of present sponsors and potential sponsors we wont have a sport to go and be safe in, hell a guy that owns a pontoon boat is now affected with his rates going up as a result to this crap.

I am curious as to what safety changes he made after the losses of Jack Stoerre and Jack Carmody, they happened on his watch. Yes as tragic as KW was in 2011, what about Corpus in 2001 and Daytona in 2003? 1 loss is too many if you ask me
Old 01-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be MANDATORY that a seat belt knife be attached to EVERY seat belt or somewhere close to it and the safety inspectors instructed to make sure it is there before each and every race.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by catastrophe
I dont know the answer to that.

But whether it was a rule or not I cant imagine not having some sort of working air supply.

And if the previous poster is correct and there was a full time system in the boat , what happened with it ?
First - I'm in no way arguing with you just a little debate here about this, but I do agree to be in a closed cockpit without air is not safe or smart.

Liability I believe falls on the organizations doing the inspections not the boat owners, so if a rule was in effect about air and that rule was not adhered to by the boat owner and a boat was allowed to race the organization is at fault. The race organization has a right to not allow someone to race if they fell something is not safe.

I read the link to the rules that 36 tango posted and found them to be enlightening regarding the canopy, that they "recommend" you follow something and then this statement - "The SBIP President also has the authority to allow a non-compliant boat to compete provided that after consultation with the Board of Governors he determines that the intent of the guidelines has been met and that the safety of the riding crew and fellow competitors is not jeopardized."

So, someone can now make a "judgement" call as to whether something is safe and you don't need to follow strict guidlines if he feels you intented to but just didn't quite follow them???? - that to me says trouble.

You talk about being professionals, I do not believe CART/NASCAR/F1 allows for the governing body to judge safety issues which is what we're talking about here - it is met or not.

When you look at those rules and they go into extreme detail about a propellar and then say "safety" can be determined by the intent to meet guidelines - I can see there is something wrong here!

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 01-13-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've perused both the General Rules and the Technical Rules. Perhaps I missed it, but nowhere can I find anything about any sort of breathing apparatuses, oxygen, air etc. I find that concerning.

Last edited by CigDaze; 01-13-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I've perused both the General Rules and the Technical Rules. Perhaps I missed it, but nowhere can I find anything about any sort of breathing apparatuses, oxygen, air etc. I find that concerning.
I find it equally concerning that a canopy boat racer would care if that was in the rules or not.
There is something to be said for self preservation.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

For what it is worth:

OPA is pretty specific (page 9)
http://www.oparacing.org/images/OPA_2011_Rulebook.pdf

OSS is very specific (pages 48-50)
http://www.offshoresuperseries.com/C...2011_Draft.pdf

On the bottom of page 61, APBA requires an air system, but no details. They do outline the Lavin Guidelines for canopy construction. It says that info can be received from the Mark Lavin Memorial Safety Foundation. I assume that this Foundation comes out of a bad result in the past. I have not seen the guidelines (nor would I probably understand them):
http://www.offshoresuperseries.com/C...ARules2011.pdf

At the very least, these rulebooks make for interesting reading. Some cover very precise details, while some are pretty vague.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered

36 tango - good work! Everyone will have to make their own comparisons between all of these you found - we'll see what everyone thinks about the differences?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by F1-00 Racing
I am curious as to what safety changes he made after the losses of Jack Stoerre and Jack Carmody, they happened on his watch.
If I remember correctly the industry itself, not APBA, made some changes after Carmody with single pod canopy's as opposed to dual? Also, didn't APBA claim it was during testing and not during the race. Hmmmm.

Jus sayin...

Here's an intersting link; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...torboat_racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.