Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors >

Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors

Notices

Michael Allweiss sends letter to race sponsors

Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

I have no idea what is going through the mind of M.A and do not pretend to know his true intentions for bringing this lawsuit- be they good or greedy. But after learning that sponsors can be sued for the negligence of organizers who in their right mind would ever put their business at risk by sponsoring any future offshore event? The publicity and fallout from this lawsuit is more likely to put another nail in the coffin off Offshore rather than benefit the sport.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tort reform?

LOL!! Like a bunch of lawyers (Congress is mostly lawyers) are ever going to vote for tort reform..
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
I raced for a long time back in the 'safe' days, and built raceboats for a long time back in the 'fatal' days. I can't recall relying on the race sponsor for anything to be responsible for my (our) safety. A race sponsor has little power after the flag drops.
That's before our country lost its way.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen this first hand The lawyers just look for insurance money The more insurance companies involved the better, as the lawsuits are waiting for a SETTLEMENT not an award! They get all the insurance companies to put up settlement money to make it go away. The cumulative total gets very large. Suing one entity will not settle as fast since the amount they are allowed to settle for would be less than getting a cumulative settlement from many insurance companies together

Steve Page wants to set up a foundation for future safety, and I am guessing he will fund that with his own money or donations. He is not suing, (that I know of) he is just trying to make the sport better.
Way to go Steve, I applaud you for trying to do the right thing after the loss of your friend

Mike A is looking for money (I am relatively sure he is not doing it for free, he might be on a contingency program but still he will get paid)

It is easy to see how this is working, put your head in the sand if you want, but it IS about money! Why else would they be looking for insurance info from the sponsors? They are looking to find out what the limits of liability are on the sponsors policy’s so they know how much money is out there.

I sat in a mediation for our suit, and all the discussion was how much money that each insurance company would toss in the pot, and how much each company was willing to SETTLE FOR. Our suit total award was over 8 million I believe, and it was paid by more than one insurance company it was a cumulative total of all that were dragged into the process. Do not kid yourself, this is about the money!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'm pissed.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
The tourboat company, Bed Bath & Beyond, and the local radio station who provided free airtime have nothing to worry about. He's talking about the actual organizers and planners of the event.
I have to say..If i got one of those letters It would be the LAST time my Co. would have anything to do with an event.
Or have my name on a boat.
Maybe you are right but,No way is it worth the risk to me.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bye Bye Boat Racing
Next up Poker Runs

This sucks

NK
Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nauti Kitty
Bye Bye Boat Racing
Next up Poker Runs

This sucks

NK
Bingo!

I posted this in the other thread in early december and things are moving along, i might have to augment the odds...

Originally Posted by GLH
...I am taking bets now... 3 to 1 no racing next year in Key West due to liability coverage not available...

And 2 to 1 on the disappearance of Organized Offshore Racing in the US within the next 3 years thanks to litigation....

Last edited by GLH; 01-12-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by birdog
I have to say..If i got one of those letters It would be the LAST time my Co. would have anything to do with an event.
Or have my name on a boat.
Maybe you are right but,No way is it worth the risk to me.
That's makes two of us.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The simple receipt of that letter is enough to turn off a sponsor.
This sport as everyone can see doesnt attract too many multi national corporate sponsors.
When a race comes to town it gets the interest of the local merchant who for 2-5k gets his name on some banners hanging around town.

This whole mess will quickly turn off that tap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.