Broker vs. Privite party sale >

Broker vs. Privite party sale

Notices

Broker vs. Privite party sale

Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Broker vs. Privite party sale

Have been looking into a few boats over the past 2 weeks some are brokered boats and some are not. What are the pro's to a brokered boat compaired to privite party or the other way around. Have had a few dealing that were not so pleasent with both.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've bought 3 private party and 2 brokered boats.

There may be more wiggle room on price if a private party doesn't have to pay the 7-10% brokerage fees.

Hopefully the broker is also a dealer that can scan and verify hours, facilitate a sea trial, help with some paperwork, etc. Maybe they serviced the boat in the past? Sold it new? At the same time they could know absolutley nothing about the boat. Broker may have to collect sales tax.

One of the brokered boat I bought, the dealer was helpful in tracking down a trailer title. Boat was in a title state originally, being sold in a non-title state. I flipped it and was going to a title state....it was a mess.

In the end it's up to you, the buyer, to cover your bases. Get a survey, arrange financing, a test ride and cut your best deal.

Last edited by Baja_342; 01-12-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always prefer a private party sale over any middleman taking a cut of my sale or the inability of my offer price to cover the sellers lowest price and his brokers fee.
I like to offer 20% with my "offer to purchase contract" for the down payment and subject the unit to a survey.
I do this on used truck and car, excavation equipment, dumptrucks, and boats etc..
If a seller gets edgy or unwilling I retract my offer and move on.
I hate to say that I think they're hiding something but you never know until a mechanic looks at it. During a sale I also offer my buyer the opportunity to do the same and will deliver to the auto shop of his choice.
Your BEST SERVED having a Pro look at any used mechanical vehicle before you consummate the deal, especially older ones.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Seeing fast I like the privit sellers much better. No offense to any brokers on here. Just getting answers and dealing with 3 people in 3 diffrent places with each state having diffrent ways of doing things. It's a lot of hassle. Plus knowing the market isn't great and still not wanting to deal or even call you with what you inquired about.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I had great luck dealing with a private party. We keep in touch to this day.

Doesn't add much to your thread, but.....
Old 01-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Private party. Broker is just a middle man and is going to end up costing you 10-20%. If i found a boat at a broker Im not saying I wouldnt buy.

The last boat I had was a nightmare with the broker, never go that route again. They want to be so helpful then when something goes wrong they drop you like a box of rocks and claim no ownership
Old 01-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

sometimes dealing with a broker is better....
a broker will price the boat for what its worth and many times less (want his 10% and move on)...

some owners are so upside down and emotionally attached with their boats and its difficult to strike up a deal..
Old 01-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I've bought from a broker and private party. As far as selling, I've only done that myself. Overall, my experiences were good on all purchases and sales.

I guess I prefer private party. I've become friends with the guy who bought my last boat and he knows he can call me anytime with questions. Same thing with the guy I bought my current boat from. He is just a phone call or email away.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

The most important factor is to get the boat that you want!!, regardless if its for sale by broker or private sale. Don't settle because of who has it listed for sale. Boats aren't as easy to sell and move around as they once were. Good luck
Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boatnt
sometimes dealing with a broker is better....
a broker will price the boat for what its worth and many times less (want his 10% and move on)...

some owners are so upside down and emotionally attached with their boats and its difficult to strike up a deal..
The only issue with a broker is, there is no property ownership, like you said they are concerned with their 10% and thats it. I would rather buy from a dealer, they have more invested and its always somebody to go back to or back on if there was issue. Dealer has a rep to maintain vs a broker is a lot of cases can change business names and slither back into the wood work.

But I agree not dealing with an owner can be a bonus. A lot of current owners are way upside down on their boats right now. But thats what you get for taking out a 20 year loans on something you couldnt afford from the start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.