Like Tree0Likes

Is the boat market coming back?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Registered
Trade Score: (4)

My Boats: 38 Fountain Lightning 575sci xr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Bongo View Post
Seems like "deals" are scooped up pretty quick. Lots of boats seem to be setting in the classifieds for a year or years.

Being in the market I am a bit surprised what a 10 year old boat is still being priced at. I sold my 2001 top gun almost 3 years ago and they are still asking comparable prices for 2001 Top guns 3 years later.
Again, traditional high dollar boats are not as affected,IMO Cig and Skater are the most exempt from this rule in the performance boat world. Watched a show called "Million dollar yatchs" The broker on the show was asked about the bad economy affecting boat sales, he stated "The economy is down....hmm, are sales are up!"

However, if you remember the old TG's (late 80's early 90's) were still pulling big money just 4-5 years ago. Now that financing has dropped off, anyone truely trying to move a TG from that era is asking a 1/3 of what they were in 2007.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Boats: Cigarette - Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bus View Post
However, if you remember the old TG's (late 80's early 90's) were still pulling big money just 4-5 years ago. Now that financing has dropped off, anyone truely trying to move a TG from that era is asking a 1/3 of what they were in 2007.
Yep - I feel like that is the single biggest thing that has killed the value of my Cafe. I am assuming now that I will own it forever - will make a nice first boat for my son in a few years
Old 01-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Registered

My Boats: Donzi 35zr, Scarab SCS

Glad to see the market stabilizing and boats moving. I don't believe however that used boats will be appreciating in value any time soon. Prices have gotten more realistic since 2008-2009 and Phil has priced his boats appropriately, IMHO.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Registered

My Boats: 16 Donzi 41 Saber 27 Magnum 35 Chris Craft Commander

Just an fyi on the comment regarding the smaller performance boat market pricing. From the boat builders side of things, Mercury has raised prices dramatically over the years and a twin engine 28-32' boat has all the same rigging, engine and standard equipment of a 46 twin engine cigarette.
The quality of the equipment may or may not change but all the other costs are the same. Resin and balsa are not the main factors in determining pricing in a boat. The mechanical stuff is just way more impactual on a smaller boat.
How can a boat builder build a 28' twin engine boat for a 100k when the engines and drives cost 75? Thats the biggest reason for the big markup over the past ten years in boats under 35'
Imho

NK