Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Time for a new boat (new to me) >

Time for a new boat (new to me)

Notices

Time for a new boat (new to me)

Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

racing stuff agian. my daughter is 6 now and has grown up around yachts and tenders...never a performance boat yet. she loves the water tho. i grew up around offshore boats and sailboats too. most of the time they hate eachother.... i'm one of the few if not the only;to win a world offshore championship in key west and win the sailboat race there too. she's about ready for a sunfish!

i think that sonic looks cool as H3LL. i like clasic tall deck looking boats. the sligshot doesent have much headroom and is not a hot rod either...a sonic or a tall deck fountain you can really weekend on, if speed isn't a huge deal.

and a 36-38 cat is only going so fast no matter what you put in it! you can afford turbines you can afford a 50 where they belong.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
43 Black Thunder

IMO the Donzi ZX have to much History of hooking and rolling.

That was the 45 Zx and the very first generation single step Zx's of the early 90's not anything he is looking at. I have not heard of anything with the 33's or 38's.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by audacity
i think that sonic looks cool as H3LL. i like clasic tall deck looking boats. the sligshot doesent have much headroom and is not a hot rod either...a sonic or a tall deck fountain you can really weekend on, if speed isn't a huge deal.
WOW, I love the fact that I'm not the only person with this mindset!!!
I really didn't like the Fountain SC's tall deck look so I concentrated on the Sonic's and the Baja's, I believe they did a better job of disguising it.
The best part is that there are plenty to choose from at realistic prices that the average guy can afford.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by huskyrider
WOW, I love the fact that I'm not the only person with this mindset!!!
I really didn't like the Fountain SC's tall deck look so I concentrated on the Sonic's and the Baja's, I believe they did a better job of disguising it.
The best part is that there are plenty to choose from at realistic prices that the average guy can afford.

See ya,
Kelly
+1.

Depending on whats powering your Sonic, they are not that slow.......There are many Sonics that see the 90's on a regular basis.

It seems as if the 100 plus mph range is where most want to be today and what is considered fast in todays times.

I like fountains, real good looking boats, but the SC line is ugly IMHO.

I think BT & Sonic did a good job with the lines of their boats to get the head room and not blow out the top deck like the Sport Cruisers. The 47 Lightning is a real nice boat, with nice head room too.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 45Tripps
+1.

Depending on whats powering your Sonic, they are not that slow.......There are many Sonics that see the 90's on a regular basis.

It seems as if the 100 plus mph range is where most want to be today and what is considered fast in todays times.

I like fountains, real good looking boats, but the SC line is ugly IMHO.

I think BT & Sonic did a good job with the lines of their boats to get the head room and not blow out the top deck like the Sport Cruisers. The 47 Lightning is a real nice boat, with nice head room too.
I was trying to be gracious on my thoughts of the Fountains deck look. Trust me, if I could have found one within my allowance and she surveyed well, I'd of made an offer.
I had to be flexible and concentrate on my needs and not my wants. And, IMO accommodations are more important than speed to many buyers like myself. Your still part of the freight train when your the caboose pulling up the rear, and your having equal fun.
BTW, I love the mid 40's Sonic's and others but thought they would be a bit much for my Dually and some of our tight corners in SE Texas.
Congrats on your boat, 60 in big water in a big boat is awesome.

I'm certain RollWithIt will find the boat of his dreams.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I would take a serious look at the 2009 33 Active Thunder that just got listed.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I would take a serious look at the 2009 33 Active Thunder that just got listed.
+1
No chit that looks like great buy.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Registered

My dream boat is a 36 Nortech cat with bigblocks. I've always loved the lines on that boat. Out of my price range and not feasible for what i want.

There are definately alot of choices out there. I forsee alot of road trips to look at these boats. I like the room of the 43 Black Thunder but thats a lil too much for my truck to handle. lol

Hopefully these boats will be available once I sell mine.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
My dream boat is a 36 Nortech cat with bigblocks. I've always loved the lines on that boat. Out of my price range and not feasible for what i want.

There are definately alot of choices out there. I forsee alot of road trips to look at these boats. I like the room of the 43 Black Thunder but thats a lil too much for my truck to handle. lol

Hopefully these boats will be available once I sell mine.
Save yourself a lot of grief and stop shopping specific boats until you are ready to buy. I can tell you from experience that I found 5 boats last summer I wanted to purchase, I have been ready to buy now since October and can not even find a deal close to what I found then.

This is what I lost!

1999 386 Sonic 500EFIs sold $58k
1997 386 STS Sold $71k
2001 42 SS meteor paint 500EFI sold $70k!
1998 Fountain 38 EC Sold $33k!

2003 Sonic 358 custom paint $55k, currently trying to close, huge paperwork and communication problem

I wish I did not find what I did when I was not ready, every deal now seems not so good. Just my opinion
Old 01-21-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered

I've seen alot of good buys come and go over the years that I would have been willing to chase had I been in the market. I'm not going to loose sleep if a good deal now isnt there in a few months. At this point my plan is to climb over as many boats as possible to see what I would be happy with in the end. But there are certain makes and models that I favor for one reason or another. I'm definately looking forward to the chase...