Like Tree0Likes

safety ideas for "flip overs"

Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 08:18 AM
  #11
Registered
 
Underdog88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Coshocton, Ohio
My Boats: 30 Velocity
Posts: 571
Default

I've said for years that the cats need a front wing between the "toons" controlled by an "angle of attack" meter from aircraft tech.

This tech has been around for a long time. If the nose gets too high, the wing deploys to push it back down. In the old fighter jets in the early 80's they took readings like 60 times per second and made corrections pilots couldn't respond to quick enuff.
Underdog88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:00 PM
  #12
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
36Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids Iowa, LOTO, Cape Coral Fl.
My Boats: Formula 37SS, 28 Skater 300x's 2400 Bay Ranger, 20' Cigarette, 18' Charger
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Spray View Post
The Lavin Guidelines, published many years ago contain some excellent concepts for improved cockpits. Too bad so few of the sanctioning bodies have bothered to read/enforce them.
Does anybody have a link to these guidelines?
36Tango is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:06 PM
  #13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Steve 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Beautiful Fort Lauderdale www.cheetahcat.com
My Boats: Slippery when wet!
Posts: 10,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Tango View Post
Does anybody have a link to these guidelines?
The current boat speeds make it VERY hard to keep everything in one piece,in the event of accident.
Steve 1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:40 PM
  #14
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)
 
C_Spray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Coastal North Carolina
My Boats: 2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's
Posts: 4,789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Tango View Post
Does anybody have a link to these guidelines?
I don't find anything through Google, which is a shame. I made the effort to reach out to George Linder (one of the authors) for a copy, and had the pleasure of meeting him a few years later. It's unforgiveable that, 25 years later, these guidelines are virtually unknown.
__________________
Retired! Boating full-time now.
C_Spray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:04 PM
  #15
Registered
 
Tres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Ocala, FL/Union Mills NC
My Boats: Every Vessel Type
Posts: 1,695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog88 View Post
I've said for years that the cats need a front wing between the "toons" controlled by an "angle of attack" meter from aircraft tech.

This tech has been around for a long time. If the nose gets too high, the wing deploys to push it back down. In the old fighter jets in the early 80's they took readings like 60 times per second and made corrections pilots couldn't respond to quick enuff.
Plane s dont have all the weight in the back of it.
Tres is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 PM
  #16
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
My Boats: 2006 MasterCraft Prostar 190, 1986 Ski Nautique 2001
Posts: 93
Default

The problem with blow overs and capsizing is the forces that are imparted on the structures that were not designed to be subjected to 10+ g hits such as decks and hatches. There are certainly ways to use the wing in ground effect that these boats use to help counteract the likelihood of a blow over or capsize.
MIskier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:54 PM
  #17
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
36Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cedar Rapids Iowa, LOTO, Cape Coral Fl.
My Boats: Formula 37SS, 28 Skater 300x's 2400 Bay Ranger, 20' Cigarette, 18' Charger
Posts: 1,013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres View Post
Plane s dont have all the weight in the back of it.
Could an active computerized wing in the back designed to give "lift", in conjunction with a front wing be the answer? When the attitude gets too steep, maybe the back of the boat needs to actually come up to flatten the angle of attack.

Look at CSprays boat. Maybe a passive set of wings would allow the boat to always run at a flatter attitude in relationship to the water. It could be that Ocke Mannerfelt may have something here, but I don't think that the design has been run hard on anything larger than a 28. Vector has the 40, but I don't know how hard it has been run. It seems that at speed, wings would at least keep the heavy stern from trying to pass the lighter front like in the BT accident, or it would keep the stern from landing so hard and cause the bow to submarine.
36Tango is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:08 PM
  #18
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
My Boats: 2006 MasterCraft Prostar 190, 1986 Ski Nautique 2001
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Tango View Post
Could an active computerized wing in the back designed to give "lift", in conjunction with a front wing be the answer? When the attitude gets too steep, maybe the back of the boat needs to actually come up to flatten the angle of attack.

Look at CSprays boat. Maybe a passive set of wings would allow the boat to always run at a flatter attitude in relationship to the water. It could be that Ocke Mannerfelt may have something here, but I don't think that the design has been run hard on anything larger than a 28. Vector has the 40, but I don't know how hard it has been run. It seems that at speed, wings would at least keep the heavy stern from trying to pass the lighter front like in the BT accident, or it would keep the stern from landing so hard and cause the bow to submarine.
You're certainly on the right track as far as buildable solutions.
MIskier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.