Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy) >

Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy)

Notices

Decided to build my own diesels (pic heavy)

Old 01-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Keith - FYI the Sabre diesels from England were the European Ford/Sabre engines, the Merlin/Daytona engines from Fla were based on the Ford Cargo Star truck enignes from Brazil. The English Ford's were a much tougher old style engins than the light duty Cargo Star enignes.

Diesel2fast4u - I was keeping quite to see where this went but since coolers are a topic now I have a suggestion. Your enemy is heat as you know when you design the cooler make sure there is plenty of fins like a AC condenser, do not use a big cross sectional area cooler compared to the thickness and use a multi pass cooler ie like two or three seperate cooler stacked each being fed by virgin cooling water. What you need is a big Delta T and regardless of how you design a one source of water in and out cooler you will only get so much heat transfer because the water temp will rise and start to be less effective regardless of direction of water flow you will run out of cool water quickly.

Think of a commerical air-handler in a large office building, common manifold of cold water feeding into various coils and then coming back together again. They work on a 15-25 Delta at most, you make yours like I said 2 or 3 independent cores thick and lower the temp vastly. Some people will argue that all that back pressure against so much coil will hurt flow - YES it will. BUT the cooler the air the more dense the less manifolf pressure you'll have and flow is inversely portional to pressure so the lower the pressure (temp) the flow will increase much more than linear.

If you'd like to discuss what you're doing I'd love to talk through things out here in the open if you wanted to, I think people love reading these things?

Joe Gere
i dont know squat about diesel,s,but i find this thread very interesting.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not use a surface drive ?
Old 01-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Registered

Wink

Diesel2fast4U:

Be grateful you have someone like HabanaJoe on this forum to consult , offer experience and help you. His 40 years plus of real performance diesel experience and knowledge is priceless! I consider him one of the ZEN masters in how to get reliable horsepower and speeds out of marine diesels. Learn from the experts like Joe and learn maybe just enough to make your project successful. He knows his Sh*t! about diesels!
Glad to see people like yourself push the envelope and make big things happen from small beginnings! Good Luck and keep up the good developments in diesel performance!
I will also follow your project here on OSO with greatfull attention.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 01-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Diesel2fast4U:

Be grateful you have someone like HabanaJoe on this forum to consult , offer experience and help you. His 40 years plus of real performance diesel experience and knowledge is priceless! I consider him one of the ZEN masters in how to get reliable horsepower and speeds out of marine diesels. Learn from the experts like Joe and learn maybe just enough to make your project successful. He knows his Sh*t! about diesels!
Glad to see people like yourself push the envelope and make big things happen from small beginnings! Good Luck and keep up the good developments in diesel performance!
I will also follow your project here on OSO with greatfull attention.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Thanks Ray
Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Ray, so I should let you have the Amex Black Card for how long? LOL

Thanks, that was a well needed boost today, with a 17 year old in the house who knows everything about everything I'm becoming doubtful if I even know my own name somedays - Kids!
Old 01-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Just a suggestion, if you run 3 bars that like 40-45 psi, that's high in any book. I believe you will be best served down in the 11.5-13:1 range. Yes, a little hard to start, might need a ether shot on a cold day. You're talking mechanical compression ratios and not taking into account that with all that air in there your actual ratio under boost will be allot higher. The cylinder pressures are going to be extreme with 18:1 and 43 psi of boost, this is not a good combination for a long lived engine, my opinion.

Just some food for thought about what you are doing with the 2 turbochargers for next engine design.

You mention exhaust pressure, that is pressure inside the manifold before the turbocharger not exhaust back pressure and you are spot on if exhaust pressure is as high as boost pressure the engine runs rich and flattens out in the power band - that is why the comment the diesel torque curve goes to a point and stays semi flat, by design standard engines get to a point where they stop breathing and are neutral.

A better route for two turbo-chargers might be where the two turbos are mounted in parallel and not separated like you have them. What you need to build is a gate between the two turbo chargers so only one works are lower speeds and you can open the gate and allow both to run when at higher speeds. This is old school (not compound) and by doing it you cut your exhaust manifold pressure in half when open and doubles the amount of air flow, not pressure but CFM's and will allow the engine to breath much better. This is not new it's old racing SeaTek and Isotta stuff. With the VGT's you accomplish some of it and you can dump xhaust pressure with a waste gate as well but with the twin in parralel and gated you won't be dumping energy you can use - just a thought to throw around next time?
Hi Joe, yes you are welcome to comment offcourse !

We have been thinking about the turbo's for a long time, first we wanted to go a different route... But decided to do it this way because the plumming is so much easier.

Our computer can control up to 3 turbo's, we decided to go for these GTB2056VL because on a 2 liter they make already 1 bar at 1400 rpm and are good for 230 hp a piece.

My tuner is young guy who calibrates engines for a living in a factory in Germany were he does all kind of diesel engines.

Standard this engine is making 200 HP so normally our goal should be reachable.

About the cooler(s) and cooling and compression ratio...
Absolutely, he has the same opinion. First we will be trying to run the fresh water true through the engine.

Weak spot will be the pistons.

I had the injectors modified so we can keep injection times as short as possible

Like all new projects we need a baseline to start with, that's why I want to have one on the dyno as soon as possible.

I am working on the intake & cooler tomorrow, I'll take pics & post

Last edited by diesel2fast4u; 01-22-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Why not use a surface drive ?
Because I don't like them

No serious, It's a waterski boat so I don't want a rooster tail & props are to hard to get for us.
Also the boat was designed for drives (or outboard) and needs that skeg in the water to hold in the turn
Old 01-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by diesel2fast4u
Because I don't like them

No serious, It's a waterski boat so I don't want a rooster tail & props are to hard to get for us.
Also the boat was designed for drives (or outboard) and needs that skeg in the water to hold in the turn
Just the fifty or so horsepower loss Via changng directions through each outdrive and the Arneson'a have a very healthy Skeg system,I did not know you were Sking behind it.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steve 1
Just the fifty or so horsepower loss Via changng directions through each outdrive and the Arneson'a have a very healthy Skeg system,I did not know you were Sking behind it.
You are right, but I didn't dare to change everything I know.

Today we are running with skier with the tripple X boat 93 mph.
With a healty 500 EFI (3 days ago dynoed 508 HP at 5400 RPM)

I have been thinking about this project for 2 years, I want 100 MPH, reliable HP and 2 drives and DIESEL (fuel is 2usd a liter here)
Old 01-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

What bothers you about the pistons?

I don't know your engine but I have a few piston questions for you if you don't mind let's start with liners or not and if liners: is the liner is used as the compressor seal or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.