Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Auto style fixed back seats in a boat????? >

Auto style fixed back seats in a boat?????

Notices

Auto style fixed back seats in a boat?????

Old 01-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I think you would do better to just have XT do there thing on it or on the seat you already have. Your really not gonna save that much trying alternative stuff and, hate to say it, any time i see auto type aftermarket seets in a boat it reminds me of an old Meyers Manx dune buggy
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is Tillett the seats used in these boats or are you just saying that is a seat to use? I am wanting to keep a moderately low budget on these, they are a exp seat...Not looking to have the best of the best. I like the idea of the seat we made up, but also like the modern style high backs..

Dave here is what I have so far.. The upholstery guy wants alot to cover it, even in plan jane stuff. That is the reason I thought of the single seats. I would have no problems making the frames and such for them.. jeeze Bs decisions.. hahaha All done in marine, with aluminum gussets.. These are older pics, have a new hatch getting done out of glass, have about all the stringers redone, new floor, dash pad, ect. Transom is about buttoned up..This is the final deal with the seats, I would like it to be rite.. Looking to have a unique stinger, blown SBC, merc stand off box, K planes should do it, but want the seating on time.. :/

John jr

Last edited by Fenderjack; 01-30-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

It's a seat to use. They are very light. I've seen them in a few boats, Skaters, etc.
Most of the time the frames are all that are labelled, and boats normally have the frames covered in upholstery. I would not pick some cheap Honda Civic/Advance Auto edition off of eBay. I don't think they can handle the stress of our kind of boating. There was an Apache that had high backs retrofitted into it. IMHO, it didn't look right.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Registered

On a sit down boat they look good. He was looking for an inexpensive alternative. Some of the examples given are great but far from inexpensive. Those eBay seats have done well in a 30 sit down that runs in the 90's. Guy had a small budget. Just keep in perspective what he's looking for. My seats are like the ones shown from dcb. Not cheap.

Last edited by GTOFFSHORE; 01-30-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Tmi
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run
On a sit down boat they look good. He was looking for an inexpensive alternative. Some of the examples given are great but far from inexpensive. Those eBay seats have done well in a 30 sit down that runs in the 90's. Guy had a small budget. Just keep in perspective what he's looking for. My seats are like the ones shown from dcb. Not cheap.
This is exactly my thinking.. I don't really need 3k $ seats in a 6k$ boat lol.. Might sound stupid, but it is the truth. Not that I cut corners, all the rigging is good top notch stuff, prob one of the reasons I am trying to keep a tight budget on the seat part..

John jr
Old 01-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Registered

Are you doing three across or just two.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I think the biggest thing that makes a sit down seat look good is having a high freeboard as well as a windscreen or fairing that comes up to at least the level of the top of the backs or close to it). I still think working with the original arraignment is the way to go. Not sure what kind of pricing you are getting but i would be surprised if my guy here (budget stuff but still real nice) would be much more then 800-1000 on something like that. Even the cheapest usable seat is gonna be what two hundred apiece? So you at six before there even in and at the end of the day it still looks like auto seats. Not trying to be the rain on the parade here, trust me i'm the king of saving a buck but i dont think your that far away from getting something that looks like it belongs in the boat. To bad your not closer I'd give ya a deal on these lol not sure what it came out of but it looks like it would work
Attached Thumbnails Auto style fixed back seats in a boat?????-2012-01-30_13-14-14_638.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Poker~N~Run
Are you doing three across or just two.
It's 3 across. The boat is only 20 ft, is center steer. The reason for the race style bolsters thus far is we plan to run decent numbers in it 1xx or so. I was thrown out of the boat 3 years ago, not even running hard, only about 65 or so.. The orig seating was far from ample as far as holding you in. As you can see from this pic. Essentially a bench seat. I need to stay in this mofo if I am going to be running at that speed.

Originally Posted by glassdave
I think the biggest thing that makes a sit down seat look good is having a high freeboard as well as a windscreen or fairing that comes up to at least the level of the top of the backs or close to it). I still think working with the original arraignment is the way to go. Not sure what kind of pricing you are getting but i would be surprised if my guy here (budget stuff but still real nice) would be much more then 800-1000 on something like that. Even the cheapest usable seat is gonna be what two hundred apiece? So you at six before there even in and at the end of the day it still looks like auto seats. Not trying to be the rain on the parade here, trust me i'm the king of saving a buck but i dont think your that far away from getting something that looks like it belongs in the boat. To bad your not closer I'd give ya a deal on these lol not sure what it came out of but it looks like it would work
Thats rite where my guy is at, 1000 bucks, thats me providing the foam.. That is to much money, at least in my eyes. I know alot of work goes into it, that hourly rates are far more then they use to be.. In the same aspect i know you get what ya pay for, as i have seen plenty of SHEET work from guys that say oh i can do that for ya, for way less.. Guess I am going to have and pick a style and go with it.. I still need to get some more measurements as far as seating height.. Always something Should have held off on the new livorsi gauges, stereo untill I was for certain what I would/could budget for the seats.

John jr

Last edited by Fenderjack; 01-30-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:57 PM
BRT
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GlassDave is right. I have built and covered several seats both with and without drop-out bottoms. If you built them out of wood its reasonable. That said, the material will add up especially if you use the good quality, latest materials. I bet if you covered the frames that you have already fab'd up, after foam and good vinyl you'd have $350-400 in materials at the end of the day and thats doing the all work yourself.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Oh I no it def adds up, have alot in the material so far( marine wood- epoxy- time) then I still have to get seat bottoms done. Naturally this is a sit down boat, hell if ya stand up your 4 ft above the wind screen.. I am just trying to go about this in a way that will look nice, not break the bank. Like I said def not looking to have a set of seats that cost half as much as the boat. I just got a quote back from XT, is def def way more then I will go, but is about what I figured on a seat such as that..

Thanks for the tips, insight here guys..

John jr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.