Notices

tri-color Nav light

Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts
Default tri-color Nav light

Re-doing an old flat bottom V drive boat and have no plans on having it out at night to much. But for the off chance I am out as it gets dark I want some sort of Nav lights on it. The thing is I don't want to cut the 1963 classic to install them so I was thinking of using some sort of tri-color Nav light on a pole (like an anchor light would mount) in the center of the boat somewhere. Can I do this? I see sailboats can use a tri-color masthead light when sailing at night but nothing about a powered boat.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bout u make it ez on yourself and hit up wally world for a clamp on battery powered bow light
Old 02-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

its not that you couldn't make a sailboat light work, the problem is that boats of certain size and type have to display the lights in a certain way. If you put a sailboat light on your boat it wouldn't be legal, if you don't care then go for it.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered

Cut the boat. Do it right. I have had 4 jet boats an cut everyone. Never regretted it. You never know. I used everyone. An done right it looks good. Good luck. Artie
Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarab63
How bout u make it ez on yourself and hit up wally world for a clamp on battery powered bow light
I have one of those for the Jon boat but the batteries are dead or screwed up in it by the time I ever think about using it. Just looking for something a little more permanent that would work off 12 volt.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by akaboatman
Cut the boat. Do it right. I have had 4 jet boats an cut everyone. Never regretted it. You never know. I used everyone. An done right it looks good. Good luck. Artie
You say that but the flat bottom folks almost had a cow when I asked about running lights. "Your not running a cruise ship" why would you need lights" is what I got.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
You say that but the flat bottom folks almost had a cow when I asked about running lights. "Your not running a cruise ship" why would you need lights" is what I got.

It's your boat, your money, who cares what they think. Just make it look good.....
Old 02-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

they make battery ones that have a suction cup on them. thats what I am going to carry for my flat bottom. you could always modify the suction one to hook up to 12v so you dont have to worry about the batteries.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Registered

Break down an then it gets dark. No light but you look cool ????? Really. I have lights an extra bulbs on all of my boats. But thats me.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Registered

Just to get things in prospective. It's a 1963 Biesemeyer, never had lights before.
The boat is not going to be mine forever. For that matter it should be for sale this spring.
The old school flat bottom guys are not big on lights.
I like the idea of suction cup ones but what do you do about having all 3 lights being visible at once? If stuck to the front deck you wont see the stern light from the back and vice versa if stuck to the back. So do you use 2? That's why I was thinking of putting it on a pole like for a parking light. Second there will be dash lights so not having 12 volt running lights would be a waste.

AKA, all my boats also have running lights including my 1968 off shore race boat that never had them before just because of what you said. But this one is a bit different and one of my pet peeves when restoring a boat is taking things off and fixing holes from things that should have never been there in the first case. So this one I would like to make the lights be the bare minimum. The boat doesn't even have cleats but the bow eye, no bilge pump outlet ...no bilge pump for that matter but that's also going to change but at the same time they will be hidden as much as possible. Just looking to do the same with the lights that may or may not be ever used.
I would do a "pop up" nav light but they are big (I have them on 2 of my boats). If I could only find a smaller one I would think about going that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.