Like Tree0Likes

What makes are having fuel tank issues from ethonal?

Reply
Old 02-15-2012, 06:02 PM
  #1
KN
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Gorham, Maine
Posts: 862
Default What makes are having fuel tank issues from ethonal?

Hey guys just wondering what boats are having trouble with their fuel tanks leaking, caused by the ethonal in the fuel?

Thanks
KN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 AM
  #2
coolrunning racing
VIP Member
 
mrv8outboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: cape cod
My Boats: built myself 1994
Posts: 528
Default

Any tank. Aluminum and fiberglass are most prone to issues. E-10 is corrosive to aluminum more so when water is introduced. It is also a solvent and can dissolve some fiberglass resins and cause damage.
mrv8outboard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 AM
  #3
Useless member of society
VIP Member
 
LaughingCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
My Boats: '00 Scarab Sport 302, '03 Lip-Ship Cigarette Gladiator
Posts: 2,940
Default

I thought I had the problem last summer. Turned out a water separator was leaking. got lucky.
__________________
"Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me." - Queen
LaughingCat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 AM
  #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mansfield, TX
My Boats: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft
Posts: 5,701
Default

I'm not aware of alluminum being any more or less corrosive than any other metal tank. We had to replace a steel tank on our houseboat that was rusting internally......it was replaced with alluminum. Last time I checked most all the builders are still using alluminum tanks............ What else is there to use?

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 02-16-2012 at 10:58 AM.
TexomaPowerboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:30 PM
  #5
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Atlanta / Ft. Myers Fl.
My Boats: Currently 2004 36Skater Classic 1000hp PSI ,"Color Me Bad" ___ Prior boats 1999 28Skater, 2008 300XS: 28 Pantera Race 6 pax, 10 meter Fountain
Posts: 794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater View Post
I'm not aware of alluminum being any more or less corrosive than any other metal tank. We had to replace a steel tank on our houseboat that was rusting internally......it was replaced with alluminum. Last time I checked most all the builders are still using alluminum tanks............ What else is there to use?
Alcohol will corrode Aluminum at it's weakest point, The Welds. All tanks except some polymer tanks are subject to adverse affects of Ethanol!! Had my tanks redone at Skater in 2008 before Ethanol hit the pumps here in Atl.
Had To replace steel tanks in 2 of my Diesel work trucks because the 15ppm sulfer blend ate the liner out, and the gaskets in the fuel pumps.
offshoresteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:28 PM
  #6
instigator
Platinum Member
 
BUIZILLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Miami, Fla
My Boats: 1980 Donzi Criterion 22
Posts: 1,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoresteve View Post
Had To replace steel tanks in 2 of my Diesel work trucks because the 15ppm sulfer blend ate the liner out, and the gaskets in the fuel pumps.
the sulphur didn't eat it, the biodiesel that ain't supposed to be in there did... was it a Ford 6.0?
Attached Thumbnails
What makes are having fuel tank issues from ethonal?-fueltanks001.jpg   What makes are having fuel tank issues from ethonal?-fueltanks002.jpg  
BUIZILLA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Atlanta / Ft. Myers Fl.
My Boats: Currently 2004 36Skater Classic 1000hp PSI ,"Color Me Bad" ___ Prior boats 1999 28Skater, 2008 300XS: 28 Pantera Race 6 pax, 10 meter Fountain
Posts: 794
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUIZILLA View Post
the sulphur didn't eat it, the biodiesel that ain't supposed to be in there did... was it a Ford 6.0?
Isuzu Cab over Landscape Trucks
offshoresteve is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:18 AM
  #8
coolrunning racing
VIP Member
 
mrv8outboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: cape cod
My Boats: built myself 1994
Posts: 528
Default

Biodiesel has ethanol in it. They use it to get the water out of the fuel after they wash it.

Also if your area has just gone over to ethanol blended fuel only the ethanol will dissolve the many years of that varnish like coating left behind. Then your tank is spotless inside. Here is were problems start as the ethanol can break the particles down so small they will easily go through a 10 micron filter and once they get to the heat of the engine during combustion they re solidify. This it the engine damaging part.
mrv8outboard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:49 AM
  #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mansfield, TX
My Boats: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft
Posts: 5,701
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
Biodiesel has ethanol in it. They use it to get the water out of the fuel after they wash it.

Also if your area has just gone over to ethanol blended fuel only the ethanol will dissolve the many years of that varnish like coating left behind. Then your tank is spotless inside. Here is were problems start as the ethanol can break the particles down so small they will easily go through a 10 micron filter and once they get to the heat of the engine during combustion they re solidify. This it the engine damaging part.
A good stabilizer will dissolve the particles.
TexomaPowerboater is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 PM
  #10
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Delaware, OH
My Boats: 2000 Donzi 38ZX
Posts: 1,317
Default

Aren't they suppose to be upping the ethanol in gas even higher? Thought I heard that. The only place I can find ethanol free is the marina and ouch. Last year 20 gallons cost me just under a 100 bucks, that doesn't make much of a difference in the gas gauge when u have a 150 gallon tank.
s022mag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.