Wellcraft....whats the deal???

Notices

Wellcraft....whats the deal???

Old 06-21-2002, 09:53 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 943 Likes on 474 Posts
Question Wellcraft....whats the deal???

Yesterday someone mentions something about the company restructureing and moving the hulls around the country. Last night a person tells me they heard on the radio that they filled for bankruptcy and are only going to make the big offshore cruisers now! Whats the real deal? Anyone know?

Maybe the molds for the Scarabs will be for sale now?!? hmmmm

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 06-21-2002, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Genmar has announced that it will be consolidating different types of boats into its different manufacturing facilities, while keeping the brand identities distinct. Genmar expects this manufacturing crossover of brands to result in greater efficiencies for the companies. It is calling the shift in manufacturing "Phase 2" of a three-year plan that will culminate with its VEC technology being situated in many of its production facilities.

But for now, all Genmar brand bluewater/saltwater fishing boats will be built in its Sarasota, Florida, facility, while the different-brand cruisers will move to the Four Winns facility in Cadillac, Michigan. Its Little Falls, Minnesota, facility will handle Genmar's various lines of sportboats.

"We're moving some Wellcraft and Glastron/Larson cruisers to Four Winns, and some Four Winns and Wellcraft sportboats to Little Falls," said Irwin Jacobs, Genmar chair. Jacobs said that Genmar expects to be adding several new lines of fishing boats to its fold in the near future, but would not specify any brand names.

Jacobs also said that staffing at the various facilities would change as a result of the shift in production. "We will be increasing workers in some, lowering them in others," he said. But, he reiterated, there would be no brand dilution as a result of the same style boats being built in the same locations. "These changes are strictly for manufacturing," he said. "Design and marketing will remain distinct, and kept at the individual operations. Our engineers won't even get to see what the other companies are doing."

Jacobs said that VEC technology would eventually be the main thrust of its fibreglass production facilities, and that the next facility to have VEC will be its Stratos plant in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. "We have already spent a million dollars preparing it for VEC," said Jacobs. "We expect to be producing VEC boats there in the next year."

(17 June 2002)
Old 06-21-2002, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope they don't start selling them as
Scarab by Four Winns & Glastron

Old 06-21-2002, 04:14 PM
Mike J

Troutly
It has always been my undertanding tht Wellcraft
never Owned the Scarab name, How could they give
back something they never
Had.
Check any Wellcraft add
and you will see a small
(R) at the end of SCARAB,
then in the very small print at the bottom it says "SCARAB is a Registerad trademark of Team Scarab,Inc." Larry Smith is Team Scarab,Inc.
Mike J.

Old 06-21-2002, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is true Larry Smith owns the name and the name only.Wellcraft bought the rights to build and market Scarabs.
It is also true that Wellcraft will no longer be building Cruisers,Sport Boat,or Scarabs any longer.The only boat they are building to carry the wellcraft name will be Fish Boats.
They will also still be in the big fish boat bussines,35 Coatals,40 Coastal,38 Excal,and the 47 excal.They boat will continue being built by Rivera.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:57 PM
Mike J

Xtremeracing
Please correct me if im
wrong but I beleive the
proper term is Licensing
agreement for a set number
of years,As there has been
since the 70s between Wellcraft and Larry Smith.
I have no interest because
I Quit my involvement with
Team Scarab and Larry Smith About 3 years ago,
Except to get the facts as
I know them out front.
Perhaps the current agreement is running out.
Mike J.

Old 06-22-2002, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks!...I hate when a powerboat line drops off.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:40 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I understand Larry can build 10 boats a year(now)
His contract is up and the scarabs will be built by companys like Westerly like normal(race boats/pleasure). He has a 43/48 that has trimax drives on it that is over at Westerly right now. The boats are still going to be produced as far as I know and sold by current dealers.
I will ask him tomorrow, when he stops by, what is the plan.
pat W
Old 06-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are several articles on the subject at a site I frequent..
www.boatbiz.com

That should set most of the story straight, and man are the rumors flying!!

By the way, lmao at the "Scarab by Four WInns"

WM
Old 06-22-2002, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cruiser molds will be going to Larson not FourWinns.The sport boat will still be built but by another Genar Co.
The only boat that will be Marketed and carry the Wellcraft name at this point will be the fish boat line.
Dealer meeting is in two weeks in St. Pete and we will have more detail and a look at the new dealer agreement.I dont believe they will have any more lay off's till after dealer meeting.They will still be building Aqua Sport,and Hydro Sport at the Sarasota plants.The cruisers will be built by Larson and replace the older styling,they are now selling.

Quick Reply: Wellcraft....whats the deal???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.