need registration help in ny

Notices

need registration help in ny

Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
problem is you still need a registration to begin with
Nope, NH will transer with just a bill of sale on rec vehicles, they consider boats rec vehicles.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Nope, NH will transer with just a bill of sale on rec vehicles, they consider boats rec vehicles.
I guess thats a nice out to know of thanks. Although I dont understand how the bill of sale only establishes ownership to begin with. But I guess they can take the name of off the bill of sale and cross reference.

NY is retarded at the DMV they have a paper form to every process they do. When I lived in MI 95% of the time you go to counter with ID and tell them what you want and they do it. NY is by far the worst state I have had to deal with as far as DMV's go.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you do finally get the reg in NY make sure you get a transferable reg then no title is needed when you resell.

to register in ny you need a bill of sale so they can collect their tax and a title or a tranferable reg.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mattyboy
when you do finally get the reg in NY make sure you get a transferable reg then no title is needed when you resell.

to register in ny you need a bill of sale so they can collect their tax and a title or a tranferable reg.
not true on boats. Only applies to snowmobiles and atvs and such.

All cars, trucks, boats, trailers over a certain lenth require you to title it in NY in order to get a registration. No title no reg.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is what you need to prove ownership in NY and get a title

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/proove.htm

From that link, for boats

Motorized boats - model year 1986 or older, or any NYS-registered boat that is less than 14 ft. long

The acceptable proof of ownership is a bill of sale and a transferable NYS registration. The word "transferable" must appear on the front of the registration. The person whose name appears on the registration must sign the transfer section of the registration.

If the boat is registered in another state, contact that state to make sure that the proof of ownership you receive is the acceptable proof of ownership for that state.

Last edited by Zone 5; 02-27-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Zone 5
Here is what you need to prove ownership in NY and get a title

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/proove.htm

From that link, for boats

Motorized boats - model year 1986 or older, or any NYS-registered boat that is less than 14 ft. long

The acceptable proof of ownership is a bill of sale and a transferable NYS registration. The word "transferable" must appear on the front of the registration. The person whose name appears on the registration must sign the transfer section of the registration.

If the boat is registered in another state, contact that state to make sure that the proof of ownership you receive is the acceptable proof of ownership for that state.
I did forget about that and wasnt thinking anything under a certain foot as you explained and age doesnt need one thanks.

Minus checked a link I would go as far as this with NY. If you buy anything out of state, go into a DMV personally and ask I am buying x from state y, what do you need. This will save all the hassle. But in NY a good rule of thumb is if you leave that buyer wherever he might live without a bill sale or a tittle or transferable reg that says exactly that you will be in trouble. Bills of sale are easily forged(did I say that) but the other two are somewhat hard to create.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Registered

I guess thats a nice out to know of thanks. Although I dont understand how the bill of sale only establishes ownership to begin with. But I guess they can take the name of off the bill of sale and cross reference.

NY is retarded at the DMV they have a paper form to every process they do. When I lived in MI 95% of the time you go to counter with ID and tell them what you want and they do it. NY is by far the worst state I have had to deal with as far as DMV's go.
NH operates on a trust system, the bill of sale is all you need to transfer ownership on the spot, however if you are doing something shady or fraudulent it will come back to bite you criminally. If you think about it what harm could you really cause? There is a paper trail and if you lied it will catch up to you.

NY is the opposite, they don't trust you twice! The check it at the dmv and they still send it to Albany to check it again!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just register it in NH for a year.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Just register it in NH for a year.
Yeah but if you can get the paperwork to do it there my as well do it in NY. Problem is if you have to go to NH thats a nice days drive there and back.

Now all of my trailers are now proud plate holders of Maine a lot cheaper than NY
Old 02-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Registered

Yeah but if you can get the paperwork to do it there my as well do it in NY. Problem is if you have to go to NH thats a nice days drive there and back.

Now all of my trailers are now proud plate holders of Maine a lot cheaper than NY
That maine trick is the hot set up. I want to do mine this year, is there a website you use or did you drive to Maine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.