Its over..... "The common man" >

Its over..... "The common man"

Notices

Its over..... "The common man"

Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
You just nailed it right there. With the current status of our economy the younger people will never be able to move up and afford these high end boats. So, the people that can afford them are just getting older which is why you see the change over to all of these center consoles. I'm 26 and I am very fortunate to be able to afford what I have, and do the stuff I do but most people my age that I know are crying about spending $100 at the bar. So, I don't see many young people getting into the sport....
Ive been to Boca nice place, aunt lives in Davie. I hear you Im 28 and the only reason I can do what I do is my wife makes as much as I do. But I have my fun spread out, hence why Im in a 91. If I took away the camaro, sleds, trailer at camp I could be in a little better. But I also have to look at this way, living up north you have June to SEP most of the time. So all my eggs in one basket doesnt make sense
Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MIskier
My first naval architecture internship was with MasterCraft boats and the reason that they show such ridiculous prices is to help dealers with floor plan financing. While I dont like where the company has gone as far as styling they do use top tier suppliers. For example the towers and billet pieces are done by the same company that supplies Cigarette. Structurally the boats are WAY overbuilt and the ilmor powertrains are excellent. I will agree that the Malibu is not the most well designed or built boat.

Now back to the topic at hand. There are a huge number of costs that the average consumer just doesnt see or think about, in the last couple of years anything petroleum based has jumped a huge amount in price, mechanical components also are increasing in price and complexity which is requiring more training for the workers. New EPA standards make operations more expensive, and implementing different manufacturing techniques that are becoming necessary to stay ahead of regulations take time and money to implement.
I dont think anybody is blind to rising cost and I would agree a lot of us might not understand the true cost of things, but I think all of us know the cost are over blown. Look at the boat below 112k, I mean its a 22ft boat with what a 350 in it. I just dont see there be 112k in that boat. But I beleive in the next 10-15 years you will either see manufactures change or see more of them with closed doors. As said earlier a lot of the grey hairs are the only that can afford these things. Face it there will come a time when these people are no longer in the market to buy these things new. And as a young person its tougher out there to be successful then it was 20-30 years ago.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...X-25-101666579
Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I dont think anybody is blind to rising cost and I would agree a lot of us might not understand the true cost of things, but I think all of us know the cost are over blown. Look at the boat below 112k, I mean its a 22ft boat with what a 350 in it. I just dont see there be 112k in that boat. But I beleive in the next 10-15 years you will either see manufactures change or see more of them with closed doors. As said earlier a lot of the grey hairs are the only that can afford these things. Face it there will come a time when these people are no longer in the market to buy these things new. And as a young person its tougher out there to be successful then it was 20-30 years ago.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...X-25-101666579

112k is the MSRP on that boat, by the time a person was done negotiating it would end up being an 85k boat. Like I said, MasterCraft likes to inflate the MSRP a ton to help its dealers with floor plan financing.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by catastrophe
Then after all that the neighbour at the marina says its too loud, your insurance company doesn't stand behind you after you have paid too much for a policy, the repair shop rips you a new azzhole for fixing it and delivering it 3 weeks late and in the worst case some douchebag steals it from you when your back is turned.

Life is grand.LOLLOL
That's basically what happened to me.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
Registered

112k is the MSRP on that boat, by the time a person was done negotiating it would end up being an 85k boat. Like I said, MasterCraft likes to inflate the MSRP a ton to help its dealers with floor plan financing.
Wow, I would have thought $45k would have been high for that boat, let alone some dealer trying to tell me I am stealing it for $85k! Really, $85k for an inboard 21.5'? Wow. And 16 people on board, that is a lot of people. Can I get a tuna tower on that? Glad other people like them and are buying them, hard to imagine.

Brian
Old 02-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by befu
Wow, I would have thought $45k would have been high for that boat, let alone some dealer trying to tell me I am stealing it for $85k! Really, $85k for an inboard 21.5'? Wow. And 16 people on board, that is a lot of people. Can I get a tuna tower on that? Glad other people like them and are buying them, hard to imagine.

Brian
A lot of it has to do with MasterCraft wanting to promote itself as the most premium small boat brand around, and the boats are also loaded down with tons of gimmicky stuff. That tower is all machined billet and is electrically raised and lowered. That tower is 5k factory cost and is better than a 10k option.

There are plenty of people that want the best ski or wake boat out there just like everyone here would love to own a Cigarette, OL, or Skater.

It is rated for 16, but 12 is about the max you want to have on there, and be able to sit comfortably.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Registered

A lot of it has to do with MasterCraft wanting to promote itself as the most premium small boat brand around, and the boats are also loaded down with tons of gimmicky stuff. That tower is all machined billet and is electrically raised and lowered. That tower is 5k factory cost and is better than a 10k option.

There are plenty of people that want the best ski or wake boat out there just like everyone here would love to own a Cigarette, OL, or Skater.

It is rated for 16, but 12 is about the max you want to have on there, and be able to sit comfortably.
I would have to agree that a 40% mark up for your reasons is a weird marketing scheme. Not saying you dont know what you are talking about. But geese.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by soldier4402
I would have to agree that a 40% mark up for your reasons is a weird marketing scheme. Not saying you dont know what you are talking about. But geese.
That is just how they run their buisness...I enjoyed my time working for the engineers there, but didnt enjoy corporate culture.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mariah212Z
Engine prices are part of this ridiculous boat prices. 30 to 50K for a performance MARINE engine???? I can buy a new corvette for around 50K which has a pretty high performance engine as well a transmission drive train. Now throw in the rest of the cars body, frame, electrical, instruments etc..........

I understand these marine engines are not sold in great volume but come on there is a limit on the amount of profit you can make on any product. Their pricing will only affect their sales.

Its just plain RIDICULOUS!
You've hit the nail on the head. How about $200K for a Mercury 1350? For that kind of money, it ought to come with its own full time mechanic.

I went to the L.A. Boat Show, and was appalled at the poor quality of most of these overpriced boats. Sea Ray is suppose to be Brunswick's premium brand, and I saw moldings that were falling off, and these cheap little rock hard seats that felt like you wanted to get out of them as fast as you could. Sea Doo boats had seats that rocked back and forth. That would drive me nuts. I saw carpet on the Chaparral boats that had buckles, because the snaps and the carpet did not line up. On a lot of boats, the wiring just hung down in a spaghetti mess.

At least Eliminator looked like they were still building quality boats. The V-drive water sports boats also appeared to be better quality than the almost throw away quality of most sterndrive and jet boats.

Michael