Notices

Gratton SBI lawsuit

Old 02-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frankenstein
It's a major tragedy. It has affects on all parts of the "go-fast" industry. I just wish for once that somebody would take responsibility for their actions. Racing is dangerous. If it wasn't, maybe more people would do it. Sometimes in racing, accidents happen. Guess whos fault it is, thats right- the person who is racing. Nobody put a gun to their head and made them race. They chose to race. Did they think that they were going to crash and die that day ? Absolutely not, but guess what- they didn't know they weren't going to crash that day either. When push comes to shove, it was a racing accident. It sucks, but it happens sometimes. Believe it or not, the guy that pulled some cash out of his pocket to try to help this sport survive, and sponsor an event, really has nothing to do with a racing accident. I'm tired of everything being someone elses fault. Their are many people behind the scenes of racing that keep this beautiful sport going ( with very little money ), and it is very appreciated by lots of us fans of the sport, I just can't even imagine dealing with all the nonsense of it. Sorry, I write it like I see it
I personally have a hard time when people call it a racing accident. I view it, that Joey survived the accident and the policy and procedures in place, failed Joey, The Family and most Racers. Bottomline Joey drowned, fighting for his life, thinking about his family and waiting and wanting for that Angel to appear. We know the racers with canopys all go thru the dunker test. You would like to think that is training enough to save yourself or your wingman. I can tell you with dunker training in a controlled slow gentle rollover, you still have people that panic, wether taking a gulp of water or getting stuck in the belts. Everybody in the inner circle knows this, but what is reassuring, you know that you also been trained that if dunker training fails. The rescue diver will be released and be your angel.
I remember my first race in Key West in the drivers meeting, when it was said if we have a manatee or sea turtle on the course, we will all come to a full stop and resume racing when the coast is clear. If we have a racing accident and there is a man in the water, race with caution. That struck me so odd that day that a manatee or sea turtle was more important then anybody in that meeting. I use to make fun of myself to my friends with that statement, now it haunts me to wonder how the policys and procedures would have handled a wounded sea turtle or manatee on 11/11/11.
I personally have no issues with any of the Offshore groups and I salute every one of the rescue divers. We all know that offshore will never merge for multiple reasons, but you cannot let the last line of safety fail, that is what keeps the racer racing.

On the comment, Did they think they were going to crash and die that day, absolutely not,

Well sir, I did everytime, I looked at my wife and then thought to myself, is this the last time. Wondering is this fair for her to be supporting my messed up passion. I am sure Joey had the same feelings, that was a whole family of support to the sport and the Gratton Family gave all they had.

It's just how I see it
R.I.P. JOEY

Last edited by SUPERCATBOATS; 02-25-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Registered

Very well said Alvin......
Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
Blake , Brock , Priscilla I stand by you!
I am there as well!!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:45 AM
The Illustrious One
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALVIN
I personally have a hard time when people call it a racing accident. I view it, that Joey survived the accident and the policy and procedures in place, failed Joey, The Family and most Racers. Bottomline Joey drowned, fighting for his life, thinking about his family and waiting and wanting for that Angel to appear. We know the racers with canopys all go thru the dunker test. You would like to think that is training enough to save yourself or your wingman. I can tell you with dunker training in a controlled slow gentle rollover, you still have people that panic, wether taking a gulp of water or getting stuck in the belts. Everybody in the inner circle knows this, but what is reassuring, you know that you also been trained that if dunker training fails. The rescue diver will be released and be your angel.
I remember my first race in Key West in the drivers meeting, when it was said if we have a manatee or sea turtle on the course, we will all come to a full stop and resume racing when the coast is clear. If we have a racing accident and there is a man in the water, race with caution. That struck me so odd that day that a manatee or sea turtle was more important then anybody in that meeting. I use to make fun of myself to my friends with that statement, now it haunts me to wonder how the policys and procedures would have handled a wounded sea turtle or manatee on 11/11/11.
I personally have no issues with any of the Offshore groups and I salute every one of the rescue divers. We all know that offshore will never merge for multiple reasons, but you cannot let the last line of safety fail, that is what keeps the racer racing.

On the comment, Did they think they were going to crash and die that day, absolutely not,

Well sir, I did everytime, I looked at my wife and then thought to myself, is this the last time. Wondering is this fair for her to be supporting my messed up passion. I am sure Joey had the same feelings, that was a whole family of support to the sport and the Gratton Family gave all they had.

It's just how I see it
R.I.P. JOEY

Very well put!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Registered

Alvin - Very well said!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Not an accident?

Originally Posted by ALVIN

It's just how I see it
R.I.P. JOEY
You state, "I personally have a hard time when people call it a racing accident." Really? I saw the incident, it was AN ACCIDENT.

I didn't know Joey but I know others, Sean Stinson, et al, that knew him well. I'll say first it's tragic and sad he is gone. But trashing John Carbonell and SBI is not positive for the sport. I don't know Mr. Carbonell but I sure do enjoy the races he puts on and I respect him. A lot of people seem to be missing that Mr. Allweiss (sp) to say the least is not a big fan of Mr. Carbonell. I was at Key West for this race. I can't remember the last time I was at a race Mr. Allweiss presented. Are there flaws in the racing organizations?, yes, but we still get to watch races. I don't speak from the couch, I've raced and stuffed a few boats myself. If improvments are needed let's move forward, but let's stop slamming SBI. There are inherent dangers in what we do, if a person can't accept the danger, they shouldn't race. Can rescue divers make an error? Sure, but they do the best they can. If you want extra insurance, do what Al Copeland did, get a helicopter and your own divers.

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598
Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 AM
Registered

I disagree with you Sir, you may want to call it trashing but if there is no fuss made then there would be no changes made. These changes inevitably lead to improvements in safety etc for the sport. There was an obvious error made in the choice of first responders.
You send your best men in first when you are playing with people's lives.

If you were a hostage would you prefer a Navy SEAL or Security guard come get you?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:34 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default ?

Originally Posted by poddy
I disagree with you Sir, you may want to call it trashing but if there is no fuss made then there would be no changes made. These changes inevitably lead to improvements in safety etc for the sport. There was an obvious error made in the choice of first responders.
You send your best men in first when you are playing with people's lives.

If you were a hostage would you prefer a Navy SEAL or Security guard come get you?
Fuss made??? Suing the sponsors? Yeah, great for the sport. NOT!

If I went on a mission, I'd probably ASK who may backup would be.

"Obvious errors" - rumor and innuendo. Ever listen to witness testimony in court? The witness recollections of the same accident can vary widely.

Is your last name Allweis?

Driver - High's Fuel Your Journey Cigarette Racing Team #598

Last edited by O.C.Barry; 03-01-2012 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by poddy

I certianly would not want to hold the driver (or rthe humvee manufacturer) accountable if the Navy Seals were unsucsessful
Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Registered

My sincere condolences to the family members and friends...When I do poker runs I sign a release form stating that I hold no one but myself responsible for accidental damages, injury or death. Do these racers do the same? Is the release form not worth the paper its printed on? Is it that easy for a lawyer to get around it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.