Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When buying a used boat what is most important?? >

When buying a used boat what is most important??

Notices

When buying a used boat what is most important??

Old 02-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default When buying a used boat what is most important??

The thing Im running up against is condition VS horsepower.

Do you buy a boat with a smaller motor but is in showroom condition OR do you buy an boat that needs some work (no cockpit cover, carpet needs to be replaced, cabin cushions need to be recovered, some gelcoat fading etc but has the better engine/drive package? Both boats are similar price, length, age etc...

I cant seem to convince myself which way to go and thought I would ask the experts on OSO!

Thanks

Last edited by Powerquest_Baby!!; 02-24-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough question. I guess it depends on what you and friends can do yourself for pennies on the dollar and what your end result to be. If it has good "bones" then you have a great place to start. I have worked in marine and auto so I can do any glass or paint or Gel repairs. My friends do engines and drives and rigging. My guess is if you don't have connections you will be paying a tidy sum to get it where you want unless you buy turn key...
Old 02-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

personally, buy the nicest boat that needs the least work even if the engine is smaller than you would like. it is easy to say "I can fix this or that for cheap" but in truth the marinas are littered with boats of good intentions. if you buy a nice one you will be out on the water having fun instead of looking at a project that cost twice what you planned. you can always sell it later and buy one with a bigger engine package as your future budget allows.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
it is easy to say "I can fix this or that for cheap" but in truth the marinas are littered with boats of good intentions. if you buy a nice one you will be out on the water having fun instead of looking at a project that cost twice what you planned. you can always sell it later and buy one with a bigger engine package as your future budget allows.
The one that needs some work isnt really a project boat (I think it was someones project that they are just about finished with)...The cockpit has new vinyl and is ready to go BUT the cabin needs carpet, all cabin cushions need to be recovered..Cockpit covers arent cheap and run about $600 and thats another thing this boat needs. The gel coat is somewhat faded too....So its definitely a boat that could be ready for summertime but will probably take another $1000+ and some elbow grease. Its parked outside all year long with a towing cover over it.
--The motor in this boat came out of another so I dont know the actual hours. Newer outdrive but hours are unknown.

The other boat has been garaged its entire life and is in perfect condition...Again, smaller motor but otherwise is ready to go. Less top speed but will also be better on gas.
--The motor in this boat is stock from the factory and has a new outdrive with 10 hours on it.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

personally, buy the nicest boat that needs the least work even if the engine is smaller than you would like. it is easy to say "I can fix this or that for cheap" but in truth the marinas are littered with boats of good intentions. if you buy a nice one you will be out on the water having fun instead of looking at a project that cost twice what you planned. you can always sell it later and buy one with a bigger engine package as your future budget allows.
Definitely +1!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
The one that needs some work isnt really a project boat (I think it was someones project that they are just about finished with)...The cockpit has new vinyl and is ready to go BUT the cabin needs carpet, all cabin cushions need to be recovered..Cockpit covers arent cheap and run about $600 and thats another thing this boat needs. The gel coat is somewhat faded too....So its definitely a boat that could be ready for summertime but will probably take another $1000+ and some elbow grease. Its parked outside all year long with a towing cover over it.
--The motor in this boat came out of another so I dont know the actual hours. Newer outdrive but hours are unknown.

The other boat has been garaged its entire life and is in perfect condition...Again, smaller motor but otherwise is ready to go. Less top speed but will also be better on gas.
--The motor in this boat is stock from the factory and has a new outdrive with 10 hours on it.
I don't agree on the better on gas, bigger power cruises faster under less load, I learned that last year with my cruiser.

Keep in mind the overall condition of the boat usually shows you how the rest of it was maintained. Do you think the guy that lets a boat keeps up on maintenance? Drive alignments, grease, gimble bearing, flushing, impellars, oil changes, etc?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perfect
Old 02-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Keep in mind the overall condition of the boat usually shows you how the rest of it was maintained. Do you think the guy that lets a boat keeps up on maintenance? Drive alignments, grease, gimble bearing, flushing, impellars, oil changes, etc?
Good point! I didnt really think of that!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I would go with the one in perfect condition. Enjoy it as is , and if you want to go faster later ,you can upgrade power.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing I would do is ask the owner if a marine survey has been done recently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.