Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wellcraft 233 Eclipse, thoughts? >

Wellcraft 233 Eclipse, thoughts?

Notices

Wellcraft 233 Eclipse, thoughts?

Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wellcraft 233 Eclipse, thoughts?

I have an opportunity to get a 1990 Wellcraft 233 Eclipse for a great deal. This would be my first "cruiser" style boat and wanted to hear what was known about them. Any problem areas to look out for? How do they handle big water? Top speed to expect and just a general opinion on them. I know the deadrise is 16*, it has a Mercruiser 350 with an Alpa1. It is a 1990 but could just about pass for brand new, it is in amazing shape. I know the deadrise isn't too impressive but I also don't know what that degree translate into what size water it can handle at cruising speed comfortably, I tried searching but couldn't find any good examples...

Thanks for the input!

Jason
Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

A neighbor of mine has a 95 23 foot bowrider, I don't know if it is a 232. The eclipse is a huge boat for 23 ft. I have not been in it underway, but compared to other 23 foot boats, it is a monster. Probably a high 40 mph boat, with a 350, if you are lucky very low 50's.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 545 Likes on 330 Posts

I had an eclipse back in late 90s. The whole family loved that boat. we would do overnite trips with her. We would go up to a marina and rent a slip for the nite. that is called transients.

I enjoyed the back seats. The cushions could be raised level with the engine cover making a big sun pad in the rear. I remember one summer weekend a storm was brewin'. so we stayed inside protected waters. The family still had fun even though we couldn't make it to our fave spot. The cabin has soo much space, and the deck hatch allowed air to pour into the cabin during those warm summer nites. Good luck !

Let us know if you decide to go with her.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

There is one in my boatyard a few boats over from mine. I have seen the inside of it, it looks like a decent family boat. Nice swim platform, cockpit layout is nice, and the cabin is interesting. It's been sitting outside partially uncovered for years though, floor is rotted out....but for a 23', its alot of boat!
Sam
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 85scorpion
I know the deadrise is 16*, it has a Mercruiser 350 with an Alpa1. I know the deadrise isn't too impressive but I also don't know what that degree translate into what size water it can handle at cruising speed comfortably, I tried searching but couldn't find any good examples...

Thanks for the input!

Jason
Wow, 16 degree transom deadrise is a pretty flat bottom. That will help you get on plane but it will be a rough ride if your going over 2-3 footers. Typically, anything 21 degrees up to 24 will be a decent ride in rough conditions.
Where will you typically boat? What type of conditions will you typically see? Answering those questions may help you determine if its the right boat for you.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Registered

I boat in the Gulf and Bay all the time. Most of the time it is pretty smooth but occassionally I'll get some 2-4 footers, but right now I am hitting them in a 21' Chris Craft Scorpion. I tried to find the deadrise of that boat online but I can't find it anywhere. I feel like regardless of the deadrise on the Wellcraft it will handle waves much better than the Chris Craft just because of the sheer size, I'm not terribly concerned about speed, but I want to hit low 50's and we'll be going on a test ride before I make my final decision, and I feel like the Wellcraft should be able to do it, and be much more comfortable cruising. My typical boat outing is island hopping, restaurants, bars, just cruising and doing some wakeboarding or taking ppl tubing.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had one, check for rot, seriously wellcraft didnt seal up motor mounts etc very well. Decent family boat, but it can beat ya up in the ruff, and runs about 45 with the 350/alpha.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered

Decided to let it go, when I step up to a bigger boat I want it to feel comfortable in rougher water
Old 02-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 85scorpion
Decided to let it go, when I step up to a bigger boat I want it to feel comfortable in rougher water
Good move,
Old 02-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Registered

just took apart a wellcraft 222 elite looks like the motor mounts were rotted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.