Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When did "mid-cabin" boats start appearing on the powerboat scene? >

When did "mid-cabin" boats start appearing on the powerboat scene?

Notices

When did "mid-cabin" boats start appearing on the powerboat scene?

Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blownhammer2000
i honestly discovered it by mistake while shopping last year, while i found it odd as well i can say i absolutely love it, and it made talking the wife into it easier, seems more of a west coast thing and donzi and sunsation are the only east coast versions that i know of, i think donzi has a zxo that goes back into the early 2000's, west coast goes back into the 90's
+1 Donzi has had open bow models since 2000ish?, the 28 ZXO, I wouldn't mind having an open bow. Fountain made a few to order, maybe only 3 in total.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I have a 2000 Advantage 27 mid cabin. I have a snap on cover for the front. It serves our boating style very well. We spend alot time beached, hanging out with friends and it makes it nice to be able to access the boat from the front, helps alot when loading and unloading people at the dock and for tying up at a dock. Besides that, my wife loves riding in the front. Don't know what year they started making them though.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I think Kachina made them in the early 90's. Mid cabin/open bow with a radar arch I believe.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know of one back in the mid 90,s friend of mine owned it..

i do like the fiberglass insert ideal.. be pretty cool
Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered

As the above poster said, I have no idea when they started. But out here on the West Coast they are very popular. For me, it is the best of both worlds! I can fit more than 5 people in the boat (meaning everyone can be out and enjoy the view as opposed to being in the cabin or cramped up in the back). Also it benifits me b/c my girl and her female friends love to lay out.....and with the mcob more women can be onboard

Now if I did the majority of my boating in the ocean, then I would probably lean more towards the closed bow, but since the lakes are the preffered water source for me, Im not too concerened with water coming over the bow.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jason y
i know of one back in the mid 90,s friend of mine owned it..

i do like the fiberglass insert ideal.. be pretty cool
Does anyone have any pictures of any boats with this fiberglass inserts? I have never seen any before.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

A good friend of mine has a 87 mach 1 27ft with an open bow. Awesome old boat
Old 02-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blownhammer2000
+1, i have thought about that but snapping the bow cover on basically nets the same speeds as a closed bow version of my boat
I don't think he was worried about speed gain for the poker runs, but more water over the bow and swamping the boat
Old 02-29-2012, 06:48 AM
Registered

it started on the west coast builders in havasu there reason they told me back in 2004 when i went out there was it got so hot out there that it was way to hot in the cabin this would give the boater more use of the boat
Old 02-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Registered

Envision made this style of boat for years & was/is still very popular here in the Midwest. I think the company made them in the mid 90's until the company unfortunately closed a couple years ago. I used to be a demo driver for the company at in water shows. Great boats, lots of versatility and as mentioned, for some reason, women love them. We have a 36' and is an outstanding all day cruising boat for LOTO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.