Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
General Fun on the Water thread. . . >

General Fun on the Water thread. . .

Notices

General Fun on the Water thread. . .

Old 03-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default General Fun on the Water thread. . .

Friends,

Many of you don't know that my father barely survived a quadruple bypass and valve replacement surgery 2 years ago. They couldn't restart his heart. Once they did, he spent 10 days before they could wake him. It was my first really scary brush with possible death in my immediate family.

Many of you can empathize with situations like that or much worse, the actual loss of a close loved one. I am very lucky. He survived. It took almost 4 months to get him strong enough to leave the hospital. He has been basically fine since.

I took last Friday afternoon off and spent it with him and a close friend of mine since high school. This friend actually moved in with my father after the surgery to kind of 'be there' just in case. Several months ago, he lost his father great man and Tetris master. Then, a few weeks ago, Darren moved out to get his next phase in life moving. I am eternally grateful for his help.

We started Friday by installing a new windshield I had made to replace the worn-out piece on my Scarab. (I keep my boat on a lift behind Dad's house since we don't live on water in South Tampa. . . yet.) We then splashed the boat as we had to make sure the sun came through the windshield perfectly. What better way than to hit the bar at the Wharf, then a booze cruise from Pass-A-Grille pass to John's Pass.

We didn't get wonderful shots of the boat, just us enjoying the time with my father. And my father had a wonderful moment. We cranked his favorites up: Pink Floyd, Jimmy Buffett, Foreigner, etc. Hitting some small waves in the Gulf as the sun set to our left. It was wonderful.

Here are some photos. BTW, my apologies (again) to any waterfront residents in the Treasure Island ICW. Like always, that stereo is just too damn loud. If I could hear you, I'd have turned it down.

Thanks for letting me share with you all.

PS: Dad loves my Scarab but keeps pushing me to get a Cigarette or fast cat. Just might have to grant his wish soon.
Attached Thumbnails General Fun on the Water thread. . .-imagejpeg_1.jpg   General Fun on the Water thread. . .-imagejpeg_6.jpg   General Fun on the Water thread. . .-imagejpeg_2.jpg  

General Fun on the Water thread. . .-imagejpeg_5.jpg  
Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

100% what its all about Jon.

Great pic with dad.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

That's awesome and good for you!

Some of my best boating memories were times spent with my Pops on the water before he passed in 2001. I sure do miss him!

Craig
Attached Thumbnails General Fun on the Water thread. . .-menbuckjuly93resize.jpg  
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really nice!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Good story, Jon. You really look like him.

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great day for sure! Treasure these times, I still idolize my dad, lost him 14 yrs ago and miss him dearly. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fantastic, Jon!!! That's what it's all about! Looks like a really special day for the two of you.
And I like the way your ole man thinks on your new boat.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys for the great comments. We only get so many 'moments' in our lives. That day was a great one with him.

If I can get the home purchase out of the way this year, the cat will be on the way.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story and pics. Its good for us all to have a reminder about how important family and close friends are!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Good stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.