Need Insurance on a boat with no motor >

Need Insurance on a boat with no motor

Notices

Need Insurance on a boat with no motor

Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Insurance on a boat with no motor

I am buying a 2001 Eliminator Daytona 8 hours away from my house and the boat will not have a motor. I talked to Stacy at Wake Zone ins and she said they can not write a boat without a motor and to try to contact my home owners ins. I called my home owners ins and they wont write it either...

So my question to you is who will cover my boat? I already have a motor for it but it will take me a few weeks to get it put in.

I'm sure someone has been in this situation before.

Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you already know what motor your going to put in it and already have it why can't you insure with that motor and just say it was sent out for rebuild just like if you bought the boat with a motor and took it out to have it rebuilt
Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kvscarab38
If you already know what motor your going to put in it and already have it why can't you insure with that motor and just say it was sent out for rebuild just like if you bought the boat with a motor and took it out to have it rebuilt
I actually don't own the motor yet. I have a deposit on it and once i get the Eliminator home and in my name i am going to finish paying for the motor then bring it home. So technically i don't own the motor.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

AllState has been great to me about insuring engines not in a boat, and also boats with no engines in them. When I bought my ZRC without power or drives they had no problem insuring it for over half a year before I started having it rigged. Of course the value I insured it for reflected the fact that it was a hull without a drive-line.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

Just hire somebody to tow it. Their insurance will cover the load.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

When I bought my Donzi Classic it happened very fast and my agent just made sure I was covered to tow it home, but not to drive the boat. Going off memory he just got the HIN and dollar amount, and never asked about the engine. I would think that something like that would work?

Last edited by onesickpantera; 03-06-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 302sport
just hire somebody to tow it. Their insurance will cover the load.
+1
Old 03-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

if you are towing it home it should be covered in case of accident from your auto ins,if someone hits you,their ins is liable,if they have no ins,your uninsured motorist should kick in.check with your ins agent.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Registered

I have delt with Stacy on that when I bought my Concept a few years back with no engines and had to pick it up, she found insurance for me on it.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boating37
I have delt with Stacy on that when I bought my Concept a few years back with no engines and had to pick it up, she found insurance for me on it.
I talked to her yesterday via email and this is what she said.

"Unfortunately, I can't insure a hull without a motor. Our programs require that if we bind a policy, it have a motor associated with the hull."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.