Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
A idea that might stimulate interest in performance boating! >

A idea that might stimulate interest in performance boating!

Notices

A idea that might stimulate interest in performance boating!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Problem is money folks. Its not like tattos or gun building where anybody can order a gun kit or get a tat for $200 bucks. The brand new performance boat market is hurting and frankly because their stuff is over priced. Why would I buy a 35 boat for say 150-250k when I get that same 35 boat that is 8 years old for a third of the price. And used boats arent like cars, you can find boats that arent used. Heres the deal there is not much difference between a 2012 and a 2000, yeah maybe little different graphics and gadgets, but overall same hulls, same drives, same engines, same speed.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
it has been done.......John West from Ultra had a show a few years ago......showed the build of a few boats but don't think it got to much attention. I also believe Outer Limits shot a few episodes but don't think that got picked up. I do agree though that if the right personalities got on the air and you got to see what goes in to building these boats it couldn't hurt the industry.
A few years ago one of the networks was supposed to do this with JC Performance. I don't remember what happened but given the personalities it would have been very entertaining. If anyone spent a day in JC's shop they'd understand.

Originally Posted by soldier4402
Problem is money folks. Its not like tattos or gun building where anybody can order a gun kit or get a tat for $200 bucks. The brand new performance boat market is hurting and frankly because their stuff is over priced. Why would I buy a 35 boat for say 150-250k when I get that same 35 boat that is 8 years old for a third of the price. And used boats arent like cars, you can find boats that arent used. Heres the deal there is not much difference between a 2012 and a 2000, yeah maybe little different graphics and gadgets, but overall same hulls, same drives, same engines, same speed.
maybe a show like Ship Shape TV but for performance boats. That would be cool to watch... A performance boating show for the "common man." Lord knows I could do a few of my own episodes... Hmmm...that's an idea.

Last edited by Panther; 03-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 89scarabIII
I always thought that when racing made it to t.v. they should have spent more time talking with the guys in the pits like a reality show. Showing some tension between teams and showing the smaller open boats like we all own. Got boring watching Geico race them self's.

I would watch a reality show about building boats, fun runs, raft ups Jersey shore is all about drunken partying would fit right in. Someone should invite them out with camera crew on there boat.
The races that were aired a few months ago did a good job of that. At first I didn't like it as I just wanted to see racing. But, I could see how it would draw in new viewers(non-diehards) as it added another side to the story.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by T-RAV
I keep reading all these threads about how to get new interest in performance boating. Tonight I was scanning through facebook and a friend of mine was talking about getting a Red Jacket AR. His post had like 30 comments on it with all kinds of people talking about guns and building guns, etc. This made me think, one of these custom builders should try to get a reality show. Look at what OCC did for motorcycles, after that show aired everyone wanted or was building choppers. Look at Jersey shore, everyone fist pumps, gtl, and fat girls dress like whores and think its cool cause Snookie does it!! When I saw the Red Jacket comment and how much attention it got it made me think why couldn't a builder try to get a spot on discovery channel and drum up some interest. I think it would be cool not only to show the boats being built but following along to poker runs, etc... Probably a lame idea, but it is just a thought.
I think the interest is there, the dollars aren't.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny, I had a similar Idea last year. While attending the Cumberland Poker Run, and watching the "Run" uh..Race, then going to the raft off at Harmon. Then the dock party at State Dock, I got to thinking, I would watch this on TV.

I think the key to a sucessful show would be the aspect of going on runs and generally showing the "lifestyle". What most people on the outside do not understand about "Go-Fast" boats is the culture that it brings. No other form of recreation mirrors what we live. Until you see it first hand allot of people do not get why someone would own a toy like ours.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Muscleboat tv....

And people wonder why it didn't get picked up

How bout American offshore
Old 03-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it is hard to gain interest due to the rising expense/cost of boating. There are a few people that do it: 1.) You have grown up involved in boating & won't give it up even if it is costly, you choose to give up other material things in life. 2.) You happen to have disposable income and want to spend it b/c you have tried everything else. 3.) You are a motor wrenching type of guy/girl. 4.) You Race or have raced on water. 5.) You are in the business in some shape or form. 6.) You are a fisherman. There are rare circumstances but with the rising cost/expense to buy/insure/own/operate/maintain boating, (performance or non-performance) isn't enticing to the average person. They'd rather go on a couple vacations each year, drive nice cars, entertain in a nice house, and still be money ahead. Just my personal opinion.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T-RAV
a friend of mine was talking about getting a Red Jacket AR

This comment alone should have you reevaluating your friends!
Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxrmike
Funny, I had a similar Idea last year. While attending the Cumberland Poker Run, and watching the "Run" uh..Race, then going to the raft off at Harmon. Then the dock party at State Dock, I got to thinking, I would watch this on TV.

I think the key to a sucessful show would be the aspect of going on runs and generally showing the "lifestyle". What most people on the outside do not understand about "Go-Fast" boats is the culture that it brings. No other form of recreation mirrors what we live. Until you see it first hand allot of people do not get why someone would own a toy like ours.
Agree, would much rather watch killer offshore machines pound into 4' -5- swells than watch someone build one. I also agree with the "lifstyle" comment, this is where the action is.

Powerboat Nation has some great video's on their website, could be a start.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personlly I don't want there to be more interest in performance boating. It'll just busy up all the good mechanics and it will take even longer for me to get my boat back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.