Notices

Why clever only for #6?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

in regards to 21' ski boats www.forceboats.com

runs #6 drives on there boats all the time, turbo and blown.

Not sure what they are doing for props though

Jon
Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt Hamilton
This question has always baffled me. Why are the only props available for merc #6 drives and now #8 also clever style propellors (or is someone making different styles I'm not aware of?).
My limited understanding of prop design was that clever style props offered little in the way of bow lift, and actually tended to lift the stern a touch. This is good for cats and hydro's but deep v boats require bow lift, hence the reason mercury makes a huge array of different style props for its outboard range to accommodate this.
I do understand rake can assist with bow lift and have noticed a lot of the 6 drive props incorporate this, just couldn't imagine the clever design being the answer for every application.

Yea, in an attempt and referring to you original question, about the choppers being available and widely used on V bottoms with #6 setups, was not refering to your ski rig, sorry ...... And Because ,,,,,,

It's a setup usually found on big stepped V's designed to increase top end .....

The negative thrust vector as evident by the rooster, (loss of thrust) is off set by raising the stern in return reducing the wetted surface which is the real payoff .....

And I know that's not what your looking for in your setup, but it's why it's so widely used otherwise .......
Old 03-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
Pretty sure there is a ski race boat running a 1350/M8 combo, have seen vids of it on youtube. The number 8 drive probably runs the same prop selection as a 6, so it has been done. Boat was from down under too, maybe you could do some asking around about it.
99 psycho clowns is the boat your referring to. It's a 21' velocity hull. One of my best mates had the first 1350/m8 in Australia in their brand new force hull. Crashed it up the bank in its first race and destroyed the lot!
I have been involved with ski racing at a high level since birth in this country and worked on some of the top boats in the country. A lot of those boats run 6 drives. All of them run either 5 or 6 blade mercury clever props, but only cause there is nothing else available. I get the feeling because these boats run such large hp motors in relatively small boats that even though the props are not quite so efficient it may not matter?
Has anyone ever modified a bravo 1 prop to fit a #6 in a mid hp setup similar to what I'm looking at doing?