SuperCharger.........SCAM!!!!! >

SuperCharger.........SCAM!!!!!

Notices

SuperCharger.........SCAM!!!!!

Old 03-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Obviously this guy is pushing junk but I have always been intrigued by the possibility of an electric SC. Could it be done with multiple stages of high powered electric blowers? In conjunction with an alternator cut-out switch you could have zero parasitic drag for short periods. It just seems to me it could be done but not with a $10 window fan. We'e be talking about some seriously powered electric motors.
Just duct tape a leaf blower to your inlet !
ed
Old 03-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Hell maybe if I put one of these stand alone fuel management systems on I can get better MPG's!
Those work well. Without it my engine compression pushed the spark back down the wire and into the coil. Engine wouldn't start.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Obviously this guy is pushing junk but I have always been intrigued by the possibility of an electric SC. Could it be done with multiple stages of high powered electric blowers? In conjunction with an alternator cut-out switch you could have zero parasitic drag for short periods. It just seems to me it could be done but not with a $10 window fan. We'e be talking about some seriously powered electric motors.
I use two screw compressors at work to build high volume but low pressure for cleaning the baghouse dust collectors. It can be done and they run great. Not big ones, but would work for the sbc's that i run. The hard part is figuring out how to power a 5HP electric motor.... You are going to need a 5000 watt generator to do that and a 3 phase at that. (Per motor) No room for a 10k genset in my little boat.

If only there was another way.... I KNOW, drive them off the motors belt! Oh wait, that's already done......

It is not the compressor or the motor, it is getting that much electricity to power it all. And those screw type compressors I use aren't any cheaper than buying one set up to mount on an intake manifold.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where is JP8 with the Browns gas generator Mason Jars duct taped under the hatch add ALL those wild claims ,Now couple this with that toy Chinese blower, Good for a dead battery.

Hard to beat a Turbocharger in , the real world with a blue sky and ONE Sun.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
As always, Ray, you bring knowledge and humor to your posts. Muffler bearings always make me laugh.

Also as always, if it sounds to good to be true, it is.
Sounds more like a smart azz bs reply to a serious question, Matt. Oh well, This is the new OSO....

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04...ger/index.html

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 03-10-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Sorry Thirdchildhood, the first part of my response post was meant to be informative and serious. If you realize for example that a supercharger on a lets take a 500 cubic inch engine with a lets say 3.0 liter screw type supercharger like a Mercury Racing 600sci. At about 7-9 lbs of boost the supercharger itself needs about 75HP just to turn it at that rpm to make that much boost. Now Imagine the size of the electric motor on a 12 volt boat electrical system it would take to drive a compressor that could do the same thing versus driving it of the crankshaft with a pulley.
This is what i was trying to get across with the first part of that post and this is why with todays technology you not gonna see electric superchargers on marine performance engines under hatches with their small 12 volt electric systems.

The second part of the post was pure whimsey making fun of the thought that simple 12 volt electric air fans or compressors are going to produce effective boost on marine performance engines. If you believe they can do it simply, then you should sign up for the Omaha beach front property.

Guess I shoulda seperated the reply into two posts so not to seem as though I was trying to be a smartass with what was an intelligent question.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 589 Likes on 240 Posts

How about a giant air tank in the trunk or perhaps on the roof or pulled behind on a trailer with a huge on demand air compressor to refill the tank at the stoplights.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:50 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Sorry Thirdchildhood, the first part of my response post was meant to be informative and serious. If you realize for example that a supercharger on a lets take a 500 cubic inch engine with a lets say 3.0 liter screw type supercharger like a Mercury Racing 600sci. At about 7-9 lbs of boost the supercharger itself needs about 75HP just to turn it at that rpm to make that much boost. Now Imagine the size of the electric motor on a 12 volt boat electrical system it would take to drive a compressor that could do the same thing versus driving it of the crankshaft with a pulley.
This is what i was trying to get across with the first part of that post and this is why with todays technology you not gonna see electric superchargers on marine performance engines under hatches with their small 12 volt electric systems.

The second part of the post was pure whimsey making fun of the thought that simple 12 volt electric air fans or compressors are going to produce effective boost on marine performance engines. If you believe they can do it simply, then you should sign up for the Omaha beach front property.

Guess I shoulda seperated the reply into two posts so not to seem as though I was trying to be a smartass with what was an intelligent question.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
I thought you answered the question, though in less detail than here, and then made a humorous reference, which I found funny. That's all.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

No problem. Let's just drop it. My link proves that it can be done by rewinding a starter motor and using it to spin a roots SC. There are inherent problems though; Mainly current draw, also now limited to lower displacement engines and a reverse boost pressure curve. It's long been an interesting concept to me though. And I'm not talking about regular fans. Anyway, like I said, let's drop it.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just heard back from their tech department
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Entabulator1.wmv (3.10 MB, 38 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.