Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Orbital Polisher Recomendations >

Orbital Polisher Recomendations

Notices

Orbital Polisher Recomendations

Old 03-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the 74 PC a while back and works well. I still hate waxing the boat though and it needs waxed badly. They need to invent one that I can sit in the pool and drink beer while it does the work. :-)
Old 03-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the meguires (same exact as porter cable) I love it, but as stated above it can be stalled which makes it not so good for heavy oxidation removal, for that you will use a conventional buffer. I do my heavy and med cut componds with my buffer, and use this guy for light cut, machine glaze, and wax

Pro- no swirl marks because of random pattern. Great for wax application and removal.

Minus- pads wear out quickly, pad backers come off long before pad is spent.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Revd Up
I have a Flex and it has worked very well. I don't use it as much as Glass Dave would, as he uses them everyday. The Flex has worked great for what I have used it for.
If I could get my Makita to die (or even come close) I am replacing it with a Flex, been hearing that name a lot. Forgot about that one.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 AM
Registered

Dittos on the porter cable. Under $150 at lowes
Old 03-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.properboatcare.com/

They have the Flex, Makitia and Porter Cable.

I bought my PC random orbital in 2007, and it's saved me so much time. The Gel Coat Labs products have been fantastic, lasting far longer than I thought they would.

Great outfit to deal with, they had a name change over the winter I guess. Autopia took over Proper Auto Care, and the boat end went on their own.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Registered

What are you trying to accomplish is the first question? I have at least 2 of every tool mentioned in this thread that are all heavily used. Depending on your application a better recommendation could be given.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
If I could get my Makita to die (or even come close) I am replacing it with a Flex, been hearing that name a lot. Forgot about that one.
Remember Dave, Flex makes a number of machines. The 3401 we've been talking about is the heavy duty random orbital one that I have. I think the one you want is their new full rotary. Supposedly the lightest rotary out there. If I were working on boats full time, I'd grab that or the Makita.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Remember Dave, Flex makes a number of machines. The 3401 we've been talking about is the heavy duty random orbital one that I have. I think the one you want is their new full rotary. Supposedly the lightest rotary out there. If I were working on boats full time, I'd grab that or the Makita.
Yea, checked out there website got lots to choose from. The Makita is nice and light and so far indestructible. Thanks for the info
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-11-2012, 11:40 PM
Registered

I like the Porter Cable 7424xp but the Flex is also a pretty good brand for polishing and applying wax. For rotary machines I've been using the Hitachi SP18VA and really like it for moderate to heavy oxidation, scratches, and swirl marks...nice power and light/maneuverable.

I like the PC and Hitachi machines so much that we now carry both on our website along with a series of foam and wool pads.

Here's a link to some boat/hot rod pics using the Porter Cable, our Crystal Cut Polish, and our heavy cut yellow Honecomb foam pad...
http://www.performanceboatcandy.com/...ystal-Cut.html

Feel free to contact me and I'll share all the info I have and what has/hasn't worked for us.

-Tim
Performance Boat Candy
Old 03-12-2012, 05:18 AM
Registered

Wow ... Thanks So Much for the great info everyone... I may be contacting a few of you if I have questions...I will check out some of these sights... and have a look around.

I am not looking to do anything serious...I am just looking for a something to help me do a better job on removing oxidation, fuel stains and whatever from the occassional over night Poker Runs ....

I am not going to be doing anything that I want to risk burning the finish on either boat or car...so I don't want to get in trouble... right now I do all hand application and then buff it with a WEN 7000 10" Buffer...that I probably did get at a Box Store...years ago...I use it to take the wax or cleaners off over the larger areas of my decks and sides.

Again thanks for the responses ... I will check it all out and keep ya posted...

Danny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.