Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When Buying - How Do I Not to Get Taken on Engine Hours? >

When Buying - How Do I Not to Get Taken on Engine Hours?

Notices

When Buying - How Do I Not to Get Taken on Engine Hours?

Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1

It seems like every boat comes with its own crook.

Michael
Yep, so nominated for "posting" of the week!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

+1 - I too learned the hard way. Listen to what all of these guys are saying and do the things they're recommending, even if you think you're dealing with a credible person. I bought a boat from a dentist, Scott Nagy, and talked to his mechanic, Jeff Wilson (now of Marine Tech Concepts, beware) and they both lied out their a$$es about the motors, drives and hours. My 30 hour "bone stock" boat had engines from another boat with 80+ hours on them.

So even if you think a boat is too new to be modified, think again, do what these guys suggest, or you will most likely regret it.....
Old 03-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rookie
I look at it this way...All used engines are used engines. Believe no one all the time and plan to rebuild sooner than later. Unless it is buddy of yours and you know the true history or they have someone backing them up with a warranty. (which I highly doubt will ever happen) Kind of a pessimistic attitude but no one will look out for you except yourself.
Plan for this in your offer.
JMO
+1 Used is used. Get a survey, do your research and plan on repairing or rebuilding sooner than later. IT is a boat. Buying the boat will be the cheapest thing, then comes the maintenance and repairs. You can't get worried or upset if somethings happens, if you do.....boating might be for you. Because sooner or later something will go.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Registered

Caveat Emptor !
Old 03-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
Quote:

+1 - I too learned the hard way. Listen to what all of these guys are saying and do the things they're recommending, even if you think you're dealing with a credible person. I bought a boat from a dentist, Scott Nagy, and talked to his mechanic, Jeff Wilson (now of Marine Tech Concepts, beware) and they both lied out their a$$es about the motors, drives and hours. My 30 hour "bone stock" boat had engines from another boat with 80+ hours on them.

So even if you think a boat is too new to be modified, think again, do what these guys suggest, or you will most likely regret it.....
That's really bad, when both the boat owner and mechanic lie. That you for sharing this. I will trust no one at this point.

I was looking at a boat a few years ago, and the owner said it was rented by the Navy for special ops. The owner said the engines were serviced by the mechanic after each outing. I called the mechanic, and he had not seen the boat in years. He also said the engines came out of a race boat, and were used in an endurance race. At least I got an honest mechanic. Of course, I passed on that boat.

Michael
Old 03-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default dentists

Watch out for dentists,we have one floating around on OSO !
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My drives have XR stickers on them and there not. Not at all.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered

More CROOKS in the offshore boating biz than crack-ho's dealing on the local corner
Old 03-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Registered

Just do your research- put together a checklist of what to examine, and then crawl over every inch of that boat and inspect it yourself. You can tell a lot from the overall condition of the boat, if the owner doesn't take the time to fix little imperfections than he probably isn't maintaining the boat either. Engine hours really doesn't mean much to me, they are boats not cars. The owner should have receipts for all the maintenance and repair work done. Also you can't really compare one boat to the next as far as value goes, because there are so many factors and every boat is so different and they are such money pits. Just find a boat that you love and make sure it was meticulously maintained, trying to find a bargain when it comes to boats always costs you in the end.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Michael1;3639590]That's really bad, when both the boat owner and mechanic lie. That you for sharing this. I will trust no one at this point.
No doubt, I thought I was a pretty good judge of character until this deal. I really thought that both Scott Nagy, the dentist, Jeff Wilson, his mechanic, were credible, boy was I wrong. Both liars that some how have no regret about what they did to me, and I guess most crooks don't . What this tells me, is that they will do it again. All beware, Scott Nagy has a 405 Baja and boats out of Port Clinton and Jeff Wilson is actually selling boats for Marine Tech Concepts.

Sorry for the semi-hijack, but point being, trust no one!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.