Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What kind of Boat Storage/SetUp >

What kind of Boat Storage/SetUp

Notices

What kind of Boat Storage/SetUp

Old 06-25-2002, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for acreage & get it custom built. When first built house had garage built 30' deep, 9' wide & 9.5' tall door. When I outgrew that had metal building built in back 50' deep, 30' wide with 2 12' wide doors, 14' height. Last year had fire in metal building (Thank god new boat was day late getting here) & building was totaled. Built new 50' x 50' building.

Many builders have a build on your lot program.

Just make sure when you build garage it is Big enough. May be big enough now but next boat???
Old 06-25-2002, 11:08 AM
OutlawBayB

Originally posted by Tonto
I would measure the height of the boat on the trailer with the hatch up to find the tallest point to determine the size of the garage door needed. .
Robert
Tonto-Thanks for the tip.I didn't even think about that. What good is a big enough garage ig you can't lift the hatch to work on it!! (You wanna come down & build for me? )
I know we need a 12' opening to get into the garage & then at least 11' inside width for a tight squeeze and 36' length. We will get the other measurements this wknd.

Jayl13-yes, it's a quickly developing area. 450 new homes w..in the last 12 months and more coming. I'll check into the permit thing.

TurboJack-lucky you your boat was late!!!! OR ELSE you'd be crying! I would too.

Old 06-25-2002, 11:16 AM
Registered

Before I built my garage for the boat I had a portable garage from a company called Cover-it, I think they have a website, good luck
Old 06-25-2002, 11:28 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

www.cover-it.com
(although the web site is down at the moment)
They make a great product, and I am about to purchase one as soon as I get clearance to erect it at my strorage place. There are about a dozen of these setup at my storage place, includng one owned by CheckmateF1 on this board. They are roughly $2K for 12X12X36 feet. I will be getting a bit wider one. You can get a 15 year warranty on the product, and it comes with everything needed. Eric even had to move his twice, and it is still doing fine.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-25-2002 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2002, 11:49 AM
Registered

I will have to check for pics when I get home. Some of the advice given above is good, definitely make sure the ceiling is tall enough to work on the boat. Even with 12' ceilings I have to watch my head on the rafters when I am waxing the deck of the boat. The next garage will have at least 15' ceilings.

I would also build it bigger than you currently need it. I was only going to make the garage 40' because it would have fit the last boat I had, but my uncle talked me into the extra 10'. It is easier to do it now then to have to add on later.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:03 PM
Registered

Default Which neighborhood?

Hey OutlawBayB:

Where are you currently looking to build?
Old 06-25-2002, 12:05 PM
Registered

We have built two houses with garages big enough to put the boat in. One in Houston and one in Peoria. They are 32 feet wide by 36 feet deep (the boat was a 290 PQ). The garage doors were 9' high. I would think that would be tall enough for your boat. From the front the garage looks like a typical 3 car garage one 16' door and one 8' door. We put the boat in the middle and parked the cars on either side.

I have a problem now as my new boat requires 45' in depth. Oh well its only money, right
Old 06-25-2002, 12:24 PM
Registered

I ha a 10 x 30 for about 8 years, sold it to my neighbor, still looks good, I recommand them highly!
Old 06-25-2002, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just a litttle note on the Cover-it's...
Though they may be very well built of high quality, if security(vandalism, theft) is of top concern, then a more permanent structure would be best.

Just throwing that in there as an added thought.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:41 PM
OutlawBayB

JustBrowsing- we have been looking at Coles Crossing off 290/Barker Cypress. David Weekly homes. Would like to stay in the Cy-Fair ISD, but now realize how hard that may be......

h20Warrior- where did you build in Houston? And what builder? Was it detached?

Quick Reply: What kind of Boat Storage/SetUp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.