Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Poker Run in Norfolk, Va. Beach Area. . .bring your "Offshore" boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/27257-poker-run-norfolk-va-beach-area-bring-your-offshore-boat.html)

BillR 06-24-2002 04:20 PM

FREE(well almost) Poker Run in Norfolk, Va. Beach Area. . .bring your "Offshore" boat

Almost free. . .

Lets see if we can get a good OSO turn out for this event! I've run it before and it is a really event and lots of fun. You guys that have "offshore" rig and boat on a lake; come see what offshore is really about!!

Don't forget that VA. Beach is one of the largest resort cities, there is alot of FUN to be had in our area.

The HRPA will be glad to help show "out of towners" our area.

Hey OSO board Gods, how 'bout bring down the OSO boat?

Posted by Reckless288 on the Poker Run page:

You can't beat the price nor the big water/long leg approach of this run. This event takes place the 3rd & 4th of August, 2002.
Go to www.littlecreekregatta.org for more info/registration, or go to our two websites www.hrpa.homestead.com/homepage.html and www.hrpba.topcities.com/hrpba.html for registration download. You can also contact myself 757-615-1855 or John Addy 757-287-5389.

This event has a lot going for the $75.00 registration fee. Here are the basics:
1) Yep, $75.00 others are normally $250.00...
2) Two party's, pre/post
3) Game is 7 card stud with 6 stops and the 7th pull at the post party.
4) $1000.00 first prize with some token dollars for 2nd/3rd places.
5) Outdoor BBQ lunch stop adjacent to Surf-Riders Tiki-Bar...
6) Run includes a couple big water & long legs to satisfy even the most aggressive types. We're gonna show off our great waters here in Hampton Roads (Resort Beach, Cape Henry where the 1st settlers landed prior to Jamestown, ChesBay Tunnel one of the 1st man-made wonders of the world, Aircraft Carriers, Battleship, Submarines and downtown Hampton and Norfolk. Oh & many of the other local personalities from OSO...
7) Virginia Beach Resort Hotel is offering event prices on some very nice rooms. Also their practically across the street from Marina Shores Boatel/Marina......Which.....
8) ...is offering free forking in/out of boats with free trailer parking and the gracious host of the lunch stop on thier premises with docking. Theres also a couple of nearby nice public ramps/motels for the go aloner's...
9) We also will have a "slow-boat" class and route for the cruisers and family runabout types who want in on the fun.

So check the websites and if you need more info please don't hesitate to call for more "in-the-weeds-details" on the who, what, where, how's, of getting and staying here...

Rick

BillR 06-25-2002 11:55 AM

24 views (so far) and no comments or takers?

I thought OSO'ers were IN to this kind of stuff.
:confused: :( :eek:

BryanTuvell 06-25-2002 12:45 PM

BILLR, you know I will be there, registered last week, ROADTRIP from the Donzi net is flying in to join me, and another friend.
I got my Little Creek Marina pass 1 hour ago.
See ya there...

Come on OSO folks on the East Coast, it will be a great run, proposed route listed on our website....

Bryan

Vyper340 06-25-2002 01:19 PM

You all know that I'll be there will bells on! Looking forward to having some fun with the fellow boaters and OSO bubba's!:D

Reckless32 06-25-2002 02:43 PM

There's gonna be some Richmond Power Boat Association (RPBA) bubba's running down to partake as well. They put on an excellent run themselves just two weeks ago...

Let's see, I count approximately 15+ regular OSO readers who will be in attendance for this that I know of who live fairly close by. We (HRPA) are essentially taking what used to be an after-thought poker run associated with the main event (sail-boat regatta), and cranking up the volume a bit. We volunteered to organize the poker run portion of the "Little Creek Regatta", which is in association with the St. Judes folks for the time being, and hope to develope this into the kickass event we know it can be. Though cheap in comparison to other runs(remember it's a charity event) you'll be hard pressed to find a better variety of waters and scenery to run by. Also even the family/cruiser boats have their own run in addition to the "fast-boats". Check out the websites and come see a bunch of us HRPA OSO types.....:cool:

Rick
www.littlecreekregatta.org
www.HRPA.homestead.com/homepage.html
www.hrpba.topcities.com/hrpba.html

BillR 06-25-2002 03:04 PM

This could be a Mid Atlantic OSO meeting after the Poker Run if enough OSO'ers would join it. :cool:

Reckless32 06-25-2002 03:12 PM

Bill I think we're already doing a mid-atlantic OSO gathering every weekend....:D :D :cool:

BryanTuvell 06-25-2002 03:39 PM

Being the instigator $hit talker I am, I would like to invite those who own offshore power boats that live on lakes and rivers come do the deed! Many have never been in the ocean. It is for a great cause and of course, well, never mind...

Hell, how hard can it be to keep up with RECKLESS?
We will likely be chasing Bill and Cowboy in the 340's....
and the Baja.....

HRPA ROCKS!
Bryan

wms 06-25-2002 04:27 PM

Yup....I am definitely looking forward to it. Last year was a blast even with the bubba in the Black Thunder holding us back. (He has been replaced!)

Unfortunately I missed the OSO party in Miami, so I am looking forward to the Mid-Atlantic OSO party after the Poker Run!!

:D
Macklin

Reckless32 06-25-2002 07:57 PM

Hey Bryan?.............;)

BryanTuvell 06-25-2002 09:12 PM

Hey Rick........:D
Got my new anchor today! Wait until you hear that story!
You have to love the East coast of VA.
Bryan

boot 06-25-2002 10:17 PM

I am very interested in coming , BUT , I need a little info on getting my 39' cat there and into the water ! It is 12' wide . What kind of problems am I going to have with what roads . Remeber ,I am 3 1/2 FEET wider then legal ! Also WHat about launching it . I would prefer to lift it if they had a reasonable price on the lift ,if not I need a real good ramp ( Wide & VERY long ) THis boat is extremely unfriendly to ramps . I have to have a good one for sure ! YOu say the fork lift is free , Can they work a deal on a travel lift . I don't mind paying something but most places are crazy !!

THat is when I get the motors back in anyway !:o
I would like to attend . PLease advise me in anyway on getting there in one peice with no tickets, no traffic jams and launching the boat in one peice !:D

THank you , JOE

BryanTuvell 06-25-2002 10:20 PM

We have one Marina who will lift for this charity event for free if I am not mistaken, (Marina Shores) Bill/Rick, field this question....
Bryan

Reckless32 06-25-2002 10:35 PM

boot
As Bryan sez, Marina Shores Boatel/Marina is providing "free" forklift services in support of the event. They will also stow your trailer overnight if necessary.

As far as roads for a 12' beam are concerned, I beleive all routes are capable of handling the rig, you might go ahead and check into a temporary permit. We'd love to have you down.

We have some really good lift capable marina's in the area including Newport News and Hampton since we have a lot of really big yachts/fishing rigs here. Another option would be to drive it down.....:D

Let me know more specifically what you're requirements are and I'll do the research...

BillR 06-26-2002 08:39 AM

Marina Shores will provide free lift in and out. They are able to use the forklift or put slings on the fork lift.

http://www.marinashores.com

All roads from your area to Marina Shores are at least 4 lane highways. They bring in some pretty big rigs there, so I am 99.99% sure you will have no problems. (rt95, to 64, to 13)

GPS co-ordinates for Marina Shores: N36 54.312, W076 04.00

Come on down!!!!

Any more OSO'ers up for REAL offshore boating?????

Surgin' General 06-26-2002 09:59 AM

Ocean Going

Sounds like a fun event. I am not familiar with that area but I need to talk to my State Farm Ins agent to see if my coverage extends to the Atlantic for the "Offshore" portion of the run.

Ins companies have designated the Chesapeake Bay area and tributaries as the region I belong to but I don't know how particular they would be in the Norfolk region.

How far out would we go?

BillR 06-26-2002 11:16 AM

Not far out at all!
Part of the run is a couple mile stretch paralleling the beach. No more than maybe 1/2 to 3/4 mile max. The who idea is to be seen by the beach goers!
Imagine if we can get a helo to take a pic of your boat with the resort strip in the background! :D :cool:

Surgin' General 06-26-2002 03:39 PM

are you going to have a photocopter?

Vyper340 06-27-2002 08:22 AM

Drop a dime to BoatPix.com and make them aware....

Cignificant 06-27-2002 09:24 AM

Bryan, what is this "Little Creek Marina pass" you mentioned?

Reckless32 06-27-2002 01:44 PM

Surgin' General

Start time will be 10am.
The first leg will leave from Little Creek Basin (which is where a Naval Amphib base is located and amphib ships) which sits on the northern Va. Beach shoreline between the Hampton Roads & Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnels. We'll depart to the east, then turn the corner of Cape Henry, which begins the Atlantic Ocean, (first settler landing and where one of the historic lighthouses still stand) and head south down the oceanfront. This will take us to the southern end of the resort strip where we'll enter Rudee Inlet for our first stop.

We'll run back to just east of the ChesBay tunnel and enter Lynnhaven Inlet and Broad Bay area's. We'll hit two cards and a lunch stop at Marina Shores.

From there we run to the downtown Hampton waterfront, and the downtown Norfolk waterfront called Waterside. We'll pass the Norfolk Naval Base where you'll see aircraft carriers, cruisers, submarines, etc. The crew will get an eye full of our Naval combatants and be able to get plenty of pics. Also, the Norfolk waterfront has the USS Wisconsin Battleship for viewing. She may even be our Norfolk card stop (I'm still workin' it). We'll end back at Little Creek Basin NLT 4pm.

After the last stop it'll be free time until approx. 6-7pm when the post-run party will take place and the prizes for best hands.

**There will be a second poker run happening at the same tim efor the family runabouts and cruiser type boats. They'll have a less aggressive route to accomodate their speed and sea state capabilities. Also, if by chance the seas really turn to crap we'll have a plan-B route to keep us off the Atlantic and more to the inland side of the Bay.

The legs are good and long and includes lots of space for great running except for the Norfolk portion where we enter the Elizabeth River. Hope to see you and any other fellow OSO bubba's who want to run in the big water. It'll be a great opportunity to see what your boat' really got.....:D

BryanTuvell 06-27-2002 02:33 PM

Are we getting our last card at the party?
What happened to Hampton?

Bryan

BryanTuvell 06-27-2002 04:53 PM

BillR, could you post the go fast route .jpg? I tried to resize it from our website with no luck.
Thanks Bill.
B

BillR 06-27-2002 04:58 PM

HRPA poker run fast route:

Reckless32 06-28-2002 11:49 PM

I mentioned Hampton and yes, last card at the party...

BillR 06-30-2002 11:18 PM

That route will sure cover some territory. Nice long run.

BillR 07-22-2002 11:36 AM

Only about 2 more weeks to go.
Any OSO members coming to run with us?

See this thread too:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...ight=poker+run

I think the Richmond Power Boat Association will be coming down to run this event. Should be lots of HOT boats too see! Followed up with a whoop ass party.

Also some NICE items to be raffled off at the event:

Yamaha audio System
Yamaha 6 piece home theater speakers
Pioneer DVD player
and lots more!!

This is a big event. Not some small back woods event!

pmcrespo 07-22-2002 12:17 PM

Poker Run Indeed

You know I'll be there!!!!!

Looking forward to the event. Judging by the last two events involving the Richmond Power Boat Association Poker Run and this weekend's Rendevouz with The hampton Roads Powerboat Association, the Little Creek PR is one event not to be missed!!!!!

I'll get a new "Air Time" log for the Fountain and will be there able, willing, and ready.......

Yes Bryan, I will leave the Puertorican rum at the dock for Sat night.......

It will certainly be great if we can get a lot of the OSO members down. It is going to be an awesome run and weekend...

Pablo

Offshoreracr 07-22-2002 12:22 PM

I don't think there is any poker run in the mid-atlantic that will give you this long of a run and take you to 3 cities. Not to mention a great price and its for a great cause. I'm in and hope everyone that has a go-fast boat will get in also.
Tommy:D :p :D

Reckless32 07-22-2002 12:24 PM

Pablo my man! Got your email now, no no more excuses in the future....;)

If you wanted some air-time you should've headed back our way yesterday. The boat hulls really got the stress test, as well as the steering wheels, but everyone came out unscathed.

looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks. BTW, leave the rum at home.....:p

Rick Elkins
288 Sunsation

Cignificant 07-22-2002 12:43 PM

The "blower gods" willing, I'll be there!

Is everyone going to the Friday night party by water or land? Everyone from Richmond that is running plans on trailering down Friday afternoon and launching at Marina Shores. I guess the same question appiles to the Saturday night event...

BillR 07-22-2002 01:23 PM

I'll be going to both parties by land. I live about 5 minutes away.
But not sure what others are doing. :confused:

BryanTuvell 07-22-2002 02:07 PM

Definately a long run.

Hey Rick, how many miles do you estimate? It is 30 to the ocean accross the bay for us, so all day should be about 120.
We all will be launching from Portsmouth? Maybe we will pop over early and top off with fuel.
Yesterday was a blast! We were both a Rock'n.

Pablo, No Rum for me even Saturday night, the wife will be out of town, no driver! LOL
Hope to see more RPBA folks sign up.
See ya in a couple weeks guys.
Bryan

Velocitease 07-22-2002 03:10 PM

Bill --
Looking forward to catching up with HRPBA members again. I'm planning to stay on the boat Friday and Saturday if the facilities at Bay Point Marina are good. I think your wife would agree with me that the single shower/bathroom at the marina over by the Raddison was horrible. Should I consider a hotel room instead??
Lee

Cignificant 07-22-2002 03:48 PM

Lee, I like your user name!!

How's the boat? I heard you had a problem the weekend of the 4th..

Velocitease 07-22-2002 04:20 PM

Hey Steve! Sorry I missed the mini-poker run this past weekend -I heard that everybody had a great time (except for the rain which killed the dock party...) I cruised to Chippoaks on Sunday, but didn't see any RPBAers.

Looks like the crowd on 64 East is going to get an eyefull on the 2nd. We should see if we can get a caravan going! What time are y'all pulling out?

Fortunately, the fix was a minor one. Seldom is a boat problem minor or cheap (-:
Lee

Reckless32 07-22-2002 04:28 PM

Velocitease
I'll be attending a St. Judes meeting this evening and the operators of the Bay Point Marina Restaurant will be there as well, so I'll be able to get a gage on the shower facilities...

Cig, most of us here "probably" will be over land to the Friday gig. Though by boat would be fun. Though some may venture out early Friday to do a warm up and just tag along...;) Another question I'll ask tonight will be the raft-up availability for doing just that...

Bryan, it'll be just another weekend run for the HRPA distance/gas wise...:D

BryanTuvell 07-22-2002 05:42 PM

Thanks Rick, have fun at the meeting, I am now guessing at more like 150 miles, I will just top off at the last stop to be safe before going home.
Should be a blast!

I am rigging a new transom water pick-up to run with the strainer since there are two inputs etc, so I will have water coming in from both sources. You know I am not much on wrench turning but I think I can handle this task....
I estimate 3 smashed knuckles!

Our Lynnhaven marina was closed today, so I couldn't get the new impellor and spare....
Bryan

Reckless32 07-23-2002 11:15 AM

Bryan looking at the chart it's approximately 15 miles to 1st card (mostly ocean), 15 back to 2nd card (ocean & no-wake), 2.5 for the 3rd and lunch, 15 to the 4th (cross the bay), 12 to the 5th at Waterside (river & naval base), and 18 to the 6th in Little Creek basin. (7th will be pulled at the post-party).
So...
= approx. 77.5 miles for the run alone.

Plus 20 round trip to Jordan Point Bridge.

Should the sea's kick up big, the Rudee Inlet leg will be replaced by either Salt Ponds or Willoughby Spit to keep us more inland...

Why not get a slip at Marina Shores for Friday night and have the wife bring the other wives/pax by car to the Marina?...

Reckless32 07-23-2002 11:38 AM

At the meeting last night we discussed dockage for folks who want to come to the Friday/Saturday night parties by boat. They're gonna try and set up a docking barge on the end of one of the Bay Point Marina docks (in Little Creek Basin) so boats can tie up and start a raft-up depending on the numbers wanting to do that. That would be free docking. Via the website ph#'s (www.littlecreekregatta.org) there will be limited slips available for a fee at Bay Point Marina. There's also Little Creek Marina and a new marina (Blue Crab or Crab Shack I forget) just past LC Marina that would offer dockage for a fee and a close walk if all else fails. But it looks like the barge will be the ticket...

For those overnighting at Marina Shores Fri/Sat, you will have the Angler's Cove Restaurant/deck tiki-bar, and Surf-Rider's tiki-bar at your disposal right at the docks should you decide to carry on into the night, not to mention dock/boatside socializing. Fuel, ice, soda's, etc. is also available at the above mentioned locations. A West Marine is located across the street from Marina Shores as is two Marine parts departments (Beach Marine/Lynnhaven Marine) should that be necessary. Long Bay Point Marina and Lynnhaven Boatel Marina also have slips available nearby as a fall back should Marina Shores book up...