smallest cat that can run offshore >

smallest cat that can run offshore

Notices

smallest cat that can run offshore

Old 03-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Pair
Double Rigged, That is a 28 Skater(mine) alongside a 30 Skater @ Tower Park Marina in CA. Quite a difference in size.
That sure looks longer than two feet...WTH????
Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

I would look at a 25 or 30 ft motion. Good speeds, great rough water boats and a good value.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sankanother1
That sure looks longer than two feet...WTH????
The Skater 30 measures 30'-9"
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
Yes, A 21' Skater (or knockoff of one) is a Very Capable offshore boat. After all, it was built to race offshore.
you really dont want to run a 21 skater offshore. even a 24 unless you are very capable with the boat...
Old 03-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Registered

28 Skater is night and day difference in big water compared to a 24, there are several Deals on 28 Skaters now, as far as a 30 plan on shelling out 120k for a used one.The 30 will run in bigger water but will be 10-15mph slower.Make sure if you buy a Bass boat motor make sure it has the heavy duty Offshore clamp and a sportmaster lower, good luck. BTW my first boat in 1989 was a 86 Villan lll with a 400hp small block.......next was a 33Fountain, then a 28Pantera Race, past 8years have been a 28 Skater.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

The problem with these threads is the size of the recommended boat just keeps going up and up along with the required number of engines and axles on the trailer, ...as does the price tag for the boat, the storage, the fuel, the tow vehicle, the insurance, the maintenance. No wonder the performance boat industry is dead. There is no such thing as entry level anymore. Everyone is told you need a huge boat to do performance offshore. Even the manufacturers have played this game, and dropped their smaller boats. That's no panacea either. I've seen plenty of conditions where you'll get the living h*ll pounded out of you in a big boat, too.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 03-25-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Registered

I do understand all the above..My point here is speed per dollar..two out boards will be 30' max, fuel consumption is one of the reasons of going this route to begin with.My tow vehicle is a gmc suburban.I built race cars and boats in the past maintenance is half the battle of owning any boat.I understand that.storage will be at my home.These are all new boat owner issues which I am not.insurance is what i am seeing to be an issue but I would be fine with comprehensive to cover other boats and liability only.but I didnt want to bring that question here this time..I could afford to jump into a used 80's 24 skater right now but I would like to buy a 30...It looks like a 28 will be the smallest.I have spoke with Randy at liberator about buying a used cat and he said even his 24 has more room in it than a 28 skater.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Registered

If your looking at a 24 -28 ft cat that you are going to want to run in rough conditions, there is only 1 choice, and thats a skater.. the 25 motion is a alternative also ,basically a 24 skater with a foot addded..
Old 03-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sankanother1
I do understand all the above..My point here is speed per dollar..two out boards will be 30' max, fuel consumption is one of the reasons of going this route to begin with.My tow vehicle is a gmc suburban.I built race cars and boats in the past maintenance is half the battle of owning any boat.I understand that.storage will be at my home.These are all new boat owner issues which I am not.insurance is what i am seeing to be an issue but I would be fine with comprehensive to cover other boats and liability only.but I didnt want to bring that question here this time..I could afford to jump into a used 80's 24 skater right now but I would like to buy a 30...It looks like a 28 will be the smallest.I have spoke with Randy at liberator about buying a used cat and he said even his 24 has more room in it than a 28 skater.
I wasn't directing my comment to you, but rather the thread responders. The boat recommendations get so huge and expensive, the orignal poster gives up thinking they can't afford any performance offshore boat.

I think most people have had large boats for so long, they forgot that they did just fine, and had just as much fun, in smaller boats, provided they picked the right conditions. I've been on the Pacific in SoCal enough to know that it can be as flat as any lake, and more often than you would think. You just have to watch the conditions, and time your boating more to take advantage of them, in addition to not going 50 miles offshore. I've also seen conditions that would put a 38 Cig back to port, so don't think a big boat will always be the answer.

My suggestion would be to check out your local conditions, and your flexibility for going out, which will be based on your distance from the water and other family obligations.

Michael
Old 03-25-2012, 03:30 PM
Registered

Everyone has done great at answering my questions.I know what I have to do..Its common sense really..Start with a 28..My idea before I posted my question was a 24/25 or even a 21..But it does not pay in the end..I am on the look out for a used 28 rigged hull.Only because they have been around long enough to get a good deal on an old one.SURE..I want a 30 but I want a 46 with supercharged big blocks too..LOL..Not happening .I am not nor will be wealthy enough to own one at this stage of my life...It seems to me that the 28 cat rigged with two out boards is the best bang for your buck on a go fast boat.And MAN DO THE CATS it look fun.Thanks every one you have been most helpful in answering my questions..It makes me proud to be a OSO member..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.