Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Do Drive Showers Really Cool The Oil? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/273247-do-drive-showers-really-cool-oil.html)

thirdchildhood 03-27-2012 02:54 PM

Do Drive Showers Really Cool The Oil?

Has anyone here personally done a before and after test with a drive oil temperature gauge and drive shower? I'm looking for real testimonials from performance boaters who do not run their exhaust through the drive. No links to sites that sell showers please! I'm looking for real proof that they do or do not cool the oil. I know they cool the cap and keep it clean but has anyone proven that showers lower oil temp.?

wjb21ndtown 03-27-2012 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood (Post 3650323)
Has anyone here personally done a before and after test with a drive oil temperature gauge and drive shower? I'm looking for real testimonials from performance boaters who do not run their exhaust through the drive. No links to sites that sell showers please! I'm looking for real proof that they do or do not cool the oil. I know they cool the cap and keep it clean but has anyone proven that showers lower oil temp.?

How can it cool the "case" and not cool what's in the case? The cases are made of aluminum and dissipate heat very well. Any cooling of the case is sure to cool the oil. Evidence of the case cooling is obvious, ever see a boat without a shower with a case that is all white and paint looks like hell at the top? Probably been ran hard and put up wet... Got way too hot and discolored the paint. It isn't sun faded under the platform like that...

Michael1 03-27-2012 03:27 PM

I think the OP wants actual numbers. I would be interested, too.

Michael

thirdchildhood 03-27-2012 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Michael1 (Post 3650350)
I think the OP wants actual numbers. I would be interested, too.
Michael

Yes! Real numbers from real performance boaters! I know they keep the cap clean. :)

Dean Ferry 03-27-2012 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood (Post 3650359)
Yes! Real numbers from real performance boaters! I know they keep the cap clean. :)

Well,
The quick answer is yes, I have Livorsi Drive temp gauges in my XR's, and before my drive showers install, when I would run WFO, I could watch the drive temps climb QUICKLY, the exact #'s I don't have written down, BUT after I installed my Halo's, the drive temp hardly moves off 140 Degrees.
Believe me, it was pretty amazing to see.....
Hope this helps,
Dean

thirdchildhood 03-27-2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry (Post 3650364)
Well,
The quick answer is yes, I have Livorsi Drive temp gauges in my XR's, and before my drive showers install, when I would run WFO, I could watch the drive temps climb QUICKLY, the exact #'s I don't have written down, BUT after I installed my Halo's, the drive temp hardly moves off 140 Degrees.
Believe me, it was pretty amazing to see.....
Hope this helps,
Dean

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

offshoredrillin 03-27-2012 04:11 PM

Also check with Mr Gadgets on here, he has actual numbers.

Roger 03-27-2012 06:50 PM

Be prepared to lose a couple of MPH with drive showers. We installed them on a 38 Fountain race boat and lost 2 MPH. Took them back off and immediately picked up the two we lost.

roughwater 03-27-2012 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Roger (Post 3650479)
Be prepared to lose a couple of MPH with drive showers. We installed them on a 38 Fountain race boat and lost 2 MPH. Took them back off and immediately picked up the two we lost.

wow. just from two little pick ups hanging down a inch or so? way more sensitive that i would have thought, that just shows how much difference a whole lower makes...

pqjack 03-27-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by roughwater (Post 3650495)
wow. just from two little pick ups hanging down a inch or so? way more sensitive that i would have thought, that just shows how much difference a whole lower makes...

not the first time i hear about this....everything we do is a trade-off,i guess...