Notices

Upgradeing Sound System

Old 04-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Waveform
That's nominal impedance, effective resistance while the speaker is playing, is going to be pretty similar if not the same.
Wave , can i lean on you if i have any questions on install and setup ? My son is helping me build proper ported boxes for two 10" subs . Any particular speaker wire or rca with remote you prefer . I want to squeeze her for all she's got . Thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do ported in a boat, takes up more space, only sounds good in a narrow frequency range, and most importantly it also allows moisture to reach the back side of the sub, and inside of box.In fact, the best small sealed enclosure sub, perfect for a boat, is the Kicker Solo Classic. Requires very little space, but can handle allot of power, sounds good, and has tons of output.

Last edited by Waveform; 04-03-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:25 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Don't do ported in a boat, takes up more space, only sounds good in a narrow frequency range, and most importantly it also allows moisture to reach the back side of the sub, and inside of box.In fact, the best small sealed enclosure sub, perfect for a boat, is the Kicker Solo Classic. Requires very little space, but can handle allot of power, sounds good, and has tons of output.
I have two 10" Kicker Impulse marine subs . Will these be ok without the ports ?? I have the room for the proper size boxes . I will go by your suggestions . I want them to hit hard and crisp for say ROCK-N-ROLL .
Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

If you have the spec sheets from kicker, they should have all the box specs, sealed and ported. I prefer sealed, if they're marine subs, ported boxes will be ok, just realize you have to seal the box inside and out if using any sort of wood to construct them.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by the deep
I have two 10" Kicker Impulse marine subs . Will these be ok without the ports ?? I have the room for the proper size boxes . I will go by your suggestions . I want them to hit hard and crisp for say ROCK-N-ROLL .
Just drink more beer

It always makes the music better
Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 AM
Registered

I disagree.
Ported makes a huge difference in MOVING AIR which is the basis for max volume. A normal ported box (not competition SPL narrow tuned) delivers much more sound than sealed.
Open water is not the place to worry about tight, accurate sound; there is so much ambient noise, just make it LOUD!

In non-salt environment where an individual takes care of their boat by covering while not in use, there is little problem with a ported design. "Marine" sub coils are sprayed with a sealant then covered with additional plasic parts which decreases efficiency and can lead to failure playing over long periods of time (coved w multiple batteries) due to heat build-up.
I have had a pair of Kicker L7 15" running for 3 years with no issue and my floor gets wet weekly. (then dried with a fan) They SMOKE the 4 sealed 10" I was previously running with the same RF Power1500 amp.

CVT 10's in sealed kicker boxes are up for grabs.....nice but not the level I moved too. http://lawrence.craigslist.org/ele/2827930702.html

Go with 12" over 10" if you can and over power by 20% of the speaker's rated power due to voltage and heat issues not compensated for in amp rating.
Engines or speakers, there is no substitute for "inches" to move air

Last edited by ChargeIt; 04-04-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I think the biggest questions here are...
Where are the subs going?
How Much space are you willing to loose in a 25 foot cat?
How loud do you really need it?
What amp is pushing the subs?

I've allways been one thats more for Sound Quality over Quantity, while true that a ported box will allways give more output, it will also limit the ability of the listener to hear any distortion from the sub(not good for being intoxicated on the lake), and at least for me it won't give a really good tight punch for kickdrums. But allot of it is just pure preference, nothing Chargeit said is wrong, its just like a ford vs. Chevy argument: both have their stengths and weaknesses.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

I think the biggest questions here are...
Where are the subs going?
How Much space are you willing to loose in a 25 foot cat?
How loud do you really need it?
What amp is pushing the subs?

I've allways been one thats more for Sound Quality over Quantity, while true that a ported box will allways give more output, it will also limit the ability of the listener to hear any distortion from the sub(not good for being intoxicated on the lake), and at least for me it won't give a really good tight punch for kickdrums. But allot of it is just pure preference, nothing Chargeit said is wrong, its just like a ford vs. Chevy argument: both have their stengths and weaknesses.
There are stringers running full length from my fuel tanks creating a huge pocket for storage , port and starboard . With this i have a nice place to put sub boxes on either end of the rear bench seat so the sound from the subs will be pounding straight up the sponsons (gunwhales) on both sides . I need it loud enough to hear cleanly whilst in the water chasing mermaids but i don't need the entire lake to be forced to listen to my selections . The sub boxes will be constructed of 3/4 hdf coated inside and out with epoxy resin . The amp i have i believe is a 600 watt Lightning with an attached cap and fan . To port or not to port , the question remains . All opinions will be considered . Thank you
Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
Just drink more beer

It always makes the music better
Have you ever gone to bed with a TEN and woke up with a TWO . Everything's better with BEER . Na , i would not break the law cause ima fine upstanding citizen and i DO NOT want to give my header money to the popo !!!....
Old 04-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by the deep
Have you ever gone to bed with a TEN and woke up with a TWO . Everything's better with BEER . Na , i would not break the law cause ima fine upstanding citizen and i DO NOT want to give my header money to the popo !!!....
I once went to sleep with what I thought was an eight, then woke up with a very attractive Donkey!

True Story!!!

She Lived on a farm and we had snuck off to the stables during a party.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.