Notices

Upgradeing Sound System

Old 04-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Real world SPL system does 118db standing in the middle of the cockpit at head level. SPL compition number with mic right infront of woofers for short term burst 140db. Yes in flat water it makes it's own waves.
that's pretty good in an open cabin boat, my S10 ext cab hits 142db consistently at the front of the center console with the 2 JL 10w3's on the Crossfire 1000d which is rated at about 1000 watts.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bigrubbers4x4
that's pretty good in an open cabin boat, my S10 ext cab hits 142db consistently at the front of the center console with the 2 JL 10w3's on the Crossfire 1000d which is rated at about 1000 watts.
It takes alot to get SPL in open air. I can listen to my system at WFO with open exhaust on twin 454's and hear my system easy.

I think most people don't understand how much it takes to get high SPL. Every 3 db of increase is twice the power. Most people would consider 10db as sounding twice as loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB84t...6&feature=plcp

Sytem was running at maybe half in that video. The wife don't let me turn it all the way up when she is in the boat.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
Hope you know I was only poking fun at you.
I know you were, but no way I wasn't going to poke back!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
I know you were, but no way I wasn't going to poke back!
All good in the hood!

Thats boating all about the fun
Old 04-07-2012, 04:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChargeIt
bigrub,
consider listening to music in a convertable while driving the highway or at a beach. Loud without distortion is what will sound best to most that dont drink wine on a boat.
oh believe me, there will be wine on the boat.....lol. I like loud without distortion, that's how my truck is but its not a convertible.

Dont take this the wrong way but what kind of a budget is there? Looks like you will be putting in some good hours and $$ with construction then using 15 year old 10" subs and a $100 amp. I dont doubt you can do a lot with a little but for the same effort the system will sound a lot better with some more $.
If you can squeeze 12's, do it!
not much of a budget. although the speakers and amp are 10 years old or more, they are still brand new as they have been in their boxes since they were purchased and only handled to look at them. there really is no room for 12's in dads warlock.

JL subs are accurate and hit low but fairly restrictive for the power consumed vs Kicker or RF in my experience. Of course the final sound also depends on the brand amp the sub is paired with.
dad is using Kicker subs, i have the JL's in my truck. the amp is a good lightening audio that cost more than $100 when it was new.

Capacitors are a waste in most marine applications. There are no lights to worry about dimming. Music play is often with engine off where a cap again has zero value. Playing at high volumes while idling for long periods might be the only application where the cap might help protect the alt from burning up but even that is a bandaid.
As you know, more batteries are a stereo's best friend. Charge them every night.
thats good info about the farad cap but its part of the amp so it will be used.

If hearing the highs at speed or past the transom is an issue (just like a convertable or jeep) its because peizo tweeters are relatively cheap and intended to be accurate to about 10', that's all they need in a car.
Compression horn is the "next level". Check out Bullet HollowPoint or Krypt HLCD. Both sound great, project and not too harsh like some try to stereo type horns, IMO.
we will make due with the component set and put the tweets where they will sound the best. no horn speakers in dads boat....

Sorry, I just spent another grand on the lows and grand on the highs but you sound like it might be of interest.
cant spend anymore of dads header money on his sound system.....
Old 04-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 385 Likes on 154 Posts

Listen , the only WINE on my boat will be from the ride along rev limiter (wife) nothing that stains or burns is allowed in the cockpit !!! Now how bout you guys quit spendin my H.P. build money . Can't have it all so i would rather ROCK the lake with the sweet sound of big block power . On a serious note , thank you for your input guys !!!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Registered

Reading the thread again. If you build the boxes out of MDF or HDF don't coat the inside of the box with resin. If you do the wood will rot from the inside out.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the deep
Listen , the only WINE on my boat will be from the ride along rev limiter (wife) in the cockpit !!!
I'm tellin mom..................lol.

seriously, dont worry I so I wont tell er......
Old 04-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Registered

Nightlife,

We chose to use MDF. I was thinking the same thing. the DEEP is going to get some sort of boat resin something or other to coat the outside. if we do actually end up porting the box i know where i can get plugs to go in them for rainstorms, splashes, hosing or anything else where water might fly around, they can be put in to keep the water out, then they can be taken out to jam. The location dad selected for them hopefully dont get to wet. The sub boxes are going to be on each side of the rear seat in the storage tray i guess you would call it...

You guys that sell stereo stuff, we are looking for RCA wires that have the remote wire tied in with them. Can you give us a price on any that would be good for marine applications that meet our needs. I know its not hard to run a remote wire but for simplicity sake its so much easier when it's tied into the RCA's. At least that's how i did my truck. Also a price per foot on some power wire, ground wire and a fuse block for in the power wire to the amp. Thanks

Last edited by bigrubbers4x4; 04-07-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Registered

Ebay that stuff. You will get the best deals.