Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls >

Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls

Notices

Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls

Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bunks

[QUOTE=tomahdonzi;3656174]Maybe there is a thread out here on this topic, but I did not find it. I have a Donzi 27ZR with stepped hull (2 steps). I am thinking about purchasing a boat lift. Probably a Shorestation. My question relates to the bunks on the lift. On my boat trailer, the bunks are stepped to match the hull. This way no weight is being put at the point of the steps. I would assume that I would have to have a similar setup on my lift.

Any thoughts on this?

You could speak to your trailer manufacturer. Example, MYCO, who made my trailer, would fabricate a deck for your lift matching your hull just like the trailer.

Fearless010
Peter
Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NWPC
Um, my boat lift is not pulled behind my truck at 60 mph around corners and over bumps. A lot of us have our boats on lifts without custom bunks. Just enjoy. Common sense??
Your boat still weighs the same no matter what it is sitting on. Now if you want to put that weight on the edge of your step, go right ahead. Or you can evenly support the hull. Thats the common sense. There's a boat on a lift down from me that is sitting on an edge that the hull is pushed up a good inch. I'll grab a pic this weekend. But it's not my boat. So I could care less

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-05-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Registered

Your boat will shape to what ever it is sitting on. Fit Your bunks to Your boat.............
Old 04-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 1,332 Likes on 743 Posts

This is the problem I have with storing at a high and dry, just two straight boards
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Default Boat Lift with Stepped Hulls

Guys,

Thanks for the comments. I agree that I should match up the bunks with the steps on the boat, just like I do with the trailer. These big lifts now use aluminum bunks with carpeted wood bolted to them. So on the big lifts, I don't think you will see any flex in the bunks, and thus putting a fair amount of pressure on the steps, which I don't think is a good idea. I like the idea of just adding some carpeted wood as we move toward the back of the bunks, to match up to the hull (and I agree that you have to be careful to get the lift down enough so the front hull does not hit those higher bunks in the back). I also like the idea of maybe moving the bunks in quite a bit so they miss the steps. That's something worth looking at too.

Thanks again. I have the engineers at Shorestation looking into this as well. Will be interesting to see what they say.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts

Myco does manufacture and sell racks that fit the bottom of your boat for use on a lift.

you can also cut the steps into the bunks to match the bottom of your boat like we did, see pics. pics are before we added carpeting obviously.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls-picture-038.jpg   Boat Lifts with Stepped Hulls-picture-043.jpg  
Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM

ktron,

Thanks for the myco info. That looks like the way to go. Now I'll just have to look a little closer at the proper Shorestation lift to see how they mount the bunks (they use aluminum bunks with wood over them, so maybe we just eliminate the aluminum and go with this set up).

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a slip available for the 2012 Summer Season that includes a boat lift. The lift will accommodate a boat up to 29' for $100/ft~!!
www.bordenlightmarina.com
www.thetipsyseagull.com

Give us a call~!!!
508-678-7547
Old 04-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

All the decent lift makers at LOTO place extra boards in to fit the steps. They leave about 6-8 inches of play when sizing the boards so that you have a little leeway on exactly where your boat sits on the bunks, and it will still give proper support. Also make sure your lift drops low enough that your steps clear the extra boards when backing off so the boat doesn't get hung up. At LOTO they set depth with chains so you just need to lower the chains a couple links.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mentalpause
Also make sure your lift drops low enough that your steps clear the extra boards when backing off so the boat doesn't get hung up. At LOTO they set depth with chains so you just need to lower the chains a couple links.

Depends if the lift is a back in model or not. If back in, not a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.