Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Can't decide what inverter to buy?? >

Can't decide what inverter to buy??

Notices

Can't decide what inverter to buy??

Old 04-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide what inverter to buy??

I have a 290 enticer the cabin layout has been changed and a big rv fridge has been installed. Here is my delima, can't decide what inverter to go with. I'd rather have one too big that way i will have the ability. I plan to run the fridge, tv with dvd player, maybe microwave from time to time and maybe an ac unit if its big enough. I know i will have to add to my house bank. I have been looking at the xantrax brand. Don't need a charger, already have one, the unit will be hard wired to the boat and the outlets already on the boat for shorepower. It would be nice to have an internal transfer switch but not a must, I can install a manual switch when shorepower is hooked up. Any one have some input on the matter it will be greatly appriciated. Mainly want to run the fridge and tv/dvd for the kids but will spend the money to have one that could run an ac unit?? thanks
Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 290enticer
I have a 290 enticer the cabin layout has been changed and a big rv fridge has been installed. Here is my delima, can't decide what inverter to go with. I'd rather have one too big that way i will have the ability. I plan to run the fridge, tv with dvd player, maybe microwave from time to time and maybe an ac unit if its big enough. I know i will have to add to my house bank. I have been looking at the xantrax brand. Don't need a charger, already have one, the unit will be hard wired to the boat and the outlets already on the boat for shorepower. It would be nice to have an internal transfer switch but not a must, I can install a manual switch when shorepower is hooked up. Any one have some input on the matter it will be greatly appriciated. Mainly want to run the fridge and tv/dvd for the kids but will spend the money to have one that could run an ac unit?? thanks
Xantrex makes a super product, but an AC unit? Really?

Anything with a compressor is going to pull large amps from your house bank and its as much or more about that than buying a 4KW RV inverter.

On a 29 foot boat I doubt you have room for that or want to carry the weight penalty.

then to charge a bank that big off the engine youll likely need an alternator upgrade balmar sells these.

RV fridges run best off propane vs 12V and will suck a house bank dry pretty quick off the 12V.

I think you need to resign yourself to a small genny running on the swim step or live with very short run times for the devices youve chosen.

Uncle Dave
Old 04-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Registered

yeah, i have been thinking of a genn during overniting to run ac, just don't want the noise. for the inverter, im looking at the xantrax xpower 3k or 5k watt. This will do what im wanting. The fridge had very low running wattage and low amp draw during start-up. it is a ac unit.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is what I'm using http://www.theinverterstore.com/2500...mp-outlet.html

I am running a 7k btu a/c unit with it, using 6 group 27 batteries. So far the on fully charged batteries I've run the unit for 6+ hours with no problems. My initial calculations estimated max run time of just over 10 hours, but I have yet had a need to run the a/c for that long. People told me it couldn't be done, a/c on an inverter, NO WAY... I proved them wrong, it does work.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Registered

If he is talking running electronics, inverter needs to be a pure sine unit or chances increase something is going to get smoked.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a Xantrex 1750w inverter I bought at Costco with 4 cabelas agm batteries and it ran a mermaid marine 5000 btu ac overnight without running the batteries dead. It can be done and it works great.